GDT: NHL 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs -MOD WARNING #762

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
I posted this last week, but goes to show Luke Schenn has more to him than a lot of people think. Pair of goals is a result of being mentally set this series. Physicallity with expected errors, overall involved. Would love to sign him.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Oh and before someone makes the statement that the NHL has never suspended a player for saying something incredibly stupid.

Don't forget about Avery http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...-by-NHL-for-comments-about-exgirlfriends.html

Yup. Unless you call another player a "gutless piece of ****", the NHL has no problem bringing down the hammer on those that say mean words.

It's mostly done to appease the masses from a PR standpoint. The NHL definitely doesn't need any negative publicity.

IMO, what Shaw said is something that is probably said on the ice every game. He just happened to get caught. Doesn't make it right. I personally have no opinions on the matter either way.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If San Jose screws this up

13063354_10208473172359552_4682974206492620283_o.jpg

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
and 90% of this fan base who woulda happily driven him to the airport after his season last year

love to see the Smith threads from last year....wager virtually everyone who`s complaining about the horrible trade now were begging for a Smitty trade to happen at the deadline last year

Could care less what the 90% think TBH. This is my opinion on Smith. I don't take cues from other Bruin fans. If I remember, a good portion of Bruin fans were saluting Charlie Jacobs add the new sheriff in town last year. Lol

Last edited:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Two of Dallas' three GWG have been more or less unintentional deflections with skates, the former one probably the flukiest goal I've ever seen. That's good playoff hockey for you, where one break can win it all.

Edit: Roussel's goal wasn't the game-winner, but important nonetheless since it was a one goal game.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Could care less what the 90% think TBH. This is my opinion on Smith. I don't take cues from other Bruin fans. If I remember, a good portion of Bruin fans were saluting Charlie Jacobs add the new sheriff in town last year. Lol

wish I could go back and rehash the Smith thread and see if this is/was how you felt about him last year.

Who knows, maybe you were one of the very few who supported him? I don`t recall many

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
wish I could go back and rehash the Smith thread and see if this is/was how you felt about him last year.

Who knows, maybe you were one of the very few who supported him? I don`t recall many

I wouldn't be surprised. At the deadline he wanted to sign Eriksson at 6M with a longer term than I personally would be comfortable with, writing "finally a great winger for Krejci!". Then towards the end of the year when Eriksson led the team in scoring the last 10-15 games (PPG pace), he wrote "I wouldn't even give him the contract we offered. good bye, he's a nice role-player, nothing more. Missing the playoffs stings a hell of a lot worse than losing Eriksson, who never did anything great..."

One of the quickest changes of mind I've seen. :laugh:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I wouldn't be surprised. At the deadline he wanted to sign Eriksson at 6M with a longer term than I personally would be comfortable with, writing "finally a great winger for Krejci!". Then towards the end of the year when Eriksson led the team in scoring the last 10-15 games (PPG pace), he wrote "I wouldn't even give him the contract we offered. good bye, he's a nice role-player, nothing more. Missing the playoffs stings a hell of a lot worse than losing Eriksson, who never did anything great..."

One of the quickest changes of mind I've seen. :laugh:

When Loui didn't take the deal at the deadline I think we all knew he was gone so ive moved on. Negotiations tanked and I don't blame the bruins for that.

Did you just search my history Fossy? :/ impressed

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
When Loui didn't take the deal at the deadline I think we all knew he was gone so ive moved on. Negotiations tanked and I don't blame the bruins for that.

Did you just search my history Fossy? :/ impressed

I didn't need to search your history because I read all your posts in that thread when they were written. I did, however, search it for convenience. Easier to copy + paste than paraphrase you and potentially misrepresent what you meant. I probably couldn't have made your change of mind sound anywhere near as dramatic if I hadn't, anyway.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I didn't need to search your history because I read all your posts in that thread when they were written. I did, however, search it for convenience. Easier to copy + paste than paraphrase you and potentially misrepresent what you meant. I probably couldn't have made your change of mind sound anywhere near as dramatic if I hadn't, anyway.

Fair enough. I can flip flop with the best of them too. But I did like smith!

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Fair enough. I can flip flop with the best of them too. But I did like smith!

So did I. I didn't even think the deal was that bad, especially since he had taken a bargain deal along with Krug to start the season. I do, however, think he's somewhat overperforming on a team that is and has been overperforming, and that he wouldn't have made much of a difference on the Bruins. I feel like if we had made the playoffs, we could go quite far as long as the D kept their brainfarts to a minimum. I don't think having Smith on the team would've given us much more leeway there, because our offence was already really good this year (although not so much for a stretch near the end). If Eriksson is a complementary role-player, then Smith is that x3.

His shooting percentage is more than 50% higher than last year (the goals he's scored in the playoffs have been mostly gimme empty netters from what I recall, so that helps, too, though he's also shot much more). Despite all this, he had one fewer point than his first year with us. It's not like he turned into prime Gretzky because of being traded to an up-and-coming small market team.

All in all, he would've been nicer to have than Hayes, but we'd be stuck with Savard's cap hit as well, and he hasn't even been producing much more per minute than Hayes did anyway - on a second line that's been, again, overperforming. He'll also get a raise after next season.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
expected more out of Wilson to be honest. I thought after his first year, he`d settle in and be far more than just a guy who skates fast, hits everything that moves while taking stupid penalties.

Let me ask you this, if he was a Bruin first round pick at # 16 which he was for the Caps, would you honestly be pleased with his game in year 3 of his career?

Likes to drop the mitts, is entertaining at times, but for my money.....not yet as impressed as I thought I would be with him, that could change but....

Amen. Overdrafted by a huge margin, but he fits very well with the highly skilled Capitals. They were missing guys like him. He's just not that good of a hockey player.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I could care less who wins this series as long as SJ gets beat in the next round and their draft position doesn't change.

Is that true: San José could beat the Kings and lose the next round and still not have its draft position affected? (I don't know the rule on this.)

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Is that true: San José could beat the Kings and lose the next round and still not have its draft position affected? (I don't know the rule on this.)

I don't think so. Unless they changed the rules, they'll pick later if they're eliminated in round 2 than if they are now. Depending on who else is eliminated this round and next, it might not be much later, but still. Maybe that's why Joe used "could care less", because he cares at least a little whether SJ loses? :laugh:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Two of Dallas' three GWG have been more or less unintentional deflections with skates, the former one probably the flukiest goal I've ever seen. That's good playoff hockey for you, where one break can win it all.

Edit: Roussel's goal wasn't the game-winner, but important nonetheless since it was a one goal game.

I used to collect the commemorative Stanley Cup DVD's, and I remember after the Wings won in '08 there was a quote from Mike Babcock on there along the lines of if a team is changing goalies during a playoff series, they're usually on the golf course a few days later.

Of course they proved that wrong and won the Cup changing from Hasek to Osgood in the first round.

And Dallas is a little different as the goalie platoon was pretty much what everyone was expecting before the playoffs.

But I can't help but wonder if it's sustainable for a long playoff run (I hope it is, as I'm a fan of the Stars)?

There's margin for error in the first series against an 8 seed, but as the playoffs continue, not so much.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

If SJ doesn't reach the WCF, the worst the pick can be is 20th.

If Min, Det, Nsh, Phi or TB reach their conference finals, it would in fact improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia