NHL 17 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People get way too worked up about the player ratings.

These are ratings, not rankings. Certain attributes boost overalls more than others.

For example I don't think face-off rating has any impact on overalls whatsoever.

Poise from my experience can dramatically boost a players overall, as can offensive and defensive awareness.

Take Karlsson for example. Easily one of the top 2-3 D-man on the planet. But your not going to boost his checking or defensive awareness into the high 90s just so he ends up the top rated D-man.

It's a marketing thing for EA to publicize these ratings each year to generate product interest. That's it. Mean's little when you consider A) You can alter the ratings for off-line modes however you see fit, and B) These overalls rarely translate over to their most popular mode in HUT. Yes the attributes are the same, but the cards overall is often quite different.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
90% of the posts about NHL17 is complaining and whining. I'm not saying that it's not deserved, but the funny part is that most of these guys will buy the game anyway.

EA'S NHL series has the saddest consumers :laugh: !

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
90% of the posts about NHL17 is complaining and whining. I'm not saying that it's not deserved, but the funny part is that most of these guys will buy the game anyway.

this is absolutely my life every September. i have accepted it.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Of course most of us is going to buy it. It is the only hockey game available on consoles right now.

Doesn't mean we cannot complain about it though.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Can anyone tell me why leafs new jersey isnt on the game? Will it be an update??? Some how pitts and fla jerseys are on the game

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The top 50 overalls came out today and no sign of McDavid.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2016/nhl-17-player-ratings-top-50-overall?utm_campaign=nhl17_hd_ww_ic_ic_twt_nh17-ratings-top50-tw-081616&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=14492&ts=1471983981608&sf48302147=1

Am i the only one here that thinks no way McDavid is not a top 50 player in the world, or is EA right for not making him top 50?

He's easily a top 50 player. He's arguably a top 10 player. Kinda fits for EA though. They don't rate young players very high even when it's clear they're great players.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
He's easily a top 50 player. He's arguably a top 10 player. Kinda fits for EA though. They don't rate young players very high even when it's clear they're great players.

Thanks Matty. in fact, i even have him at top 5 to top 7. I don't really think he's that much worse than Sid. In fact, if mcdavid came out at 92, i bet not 1 person would've said, ea is a joke, how can he be 92? ppl would've not said a thing.

I think he probably comes out as maybe 86 or 87.. but thank god we've got the edit feature.. I will make him probably 91 and now when i play as EDM, it'll feel more realistic to me.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Of course most of us is going to buy it. It is the only hockey game available on consoles right now.

Doesn't mean we cannot complain about it though.

I didn't say you can't. As I said, some complaints are valid, no doubt. But if someone that doesn't know the game/hockey was reading this board, he would find people crazy to still buy it, even if it's the only hockey game on the market. As a consumer, one of your power is to purchase or not a product. I just feel it's a lot of drama for a videogame, that's all.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I do wish 2k started making hockey games just so there could be competition.

Since Ea has no competition when it comes to hockey games, they can pretty much send out the same game year after year with minimal improvement.

Yes, we have the power to not purchase the hockey game and send EA a message that they need to improve their hockey game, but i feel like they are just more likely to scratch the game altogether if people stop buying it and we will be left with absolutely nothing.

Oct 10, 2010
I do wish 2k started making hockey games just so there could be competition.

Since Ea has no competition when it comes to hockey games, they can pretty much send out the same game year after year with minimal improvement.

Yes, we have the power to not purchase the hockey game and send EA a message that they need to improve their hockey game, but i feel like they are just more likely to scratch the game altogether if people stop buying it and we will be left with absolutely nothing.
If 2k could create a hockey game as good as the NBA, they'd put EA hockey out of business, just like they did with NBA live.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

These are ratings, not rankings. Certain attributes boost overalls more than others.

For example I don't think face-off rating has any impact on overalls whatsoever.

Poise from my experience can dramatically boost a players overall, as can offensive and defensive awareness.

Take Karlsson for example. Easily one of the top 2-3 D-man on the planet. But your not going to boost his checking or defensive awareness into the high 90s just so he ends up the top rated D-man.

It's a marketing thing for EA to publicize these ratings each year to generate product interest. That's it. Mean's little when you consider A) You can alter the ratings for off-line modes however you see fit, and B) These overalls rarely translate over to their most popular mode in HUT. Yes the attributes are the same, but the cards overall is often quite different.

I actually think Karlsson is a prime example showin EA is doing the opposite.

Look at his ratings in skill categories. Sure, they're good, but only slightly higher than say Doughty, whom Karlsson routinely out produces 30+ points. How does that make any sense? The only possible explanation is that they obviously water down his stats to make sure he is ranked below DD.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C

They do boost defensive awareness and other stats just so star players have high overalls though. Maybe not for Karlsson, but look at Patrick Kane who has 92 defensive awareness, the same as Patrice Bergeron, and that makes it higher than Benn (89) and Kopitar (91)! Obviously they do it just so Kane can have a nice high overall. Good thing you can edit stats haha

image_46.img.jpg

image_14.img.jpg

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
No pre-order deals eh? Haven't seen one yet.

EB Games will give you a tiny figurine, BestBuy will give you a mini stick. There's a deluxe edition you can buy for $20 more that has HUT packs, special EASHL equipment (only cosmetic), and an EASHL team celebration. The deluxe edition may only be available from pre-orders, but I'm not sure.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I actually think Karlsson is a prime example showin EA is doing the opposite.

Look at his ratings in skill categories. Sure, they're good, but only slightly higher than say Doughty, whom Karlsson routinely out produces 30+ points. How does that make any sense? The only possible explanation is that they obviously water down his stats to make sure he is ranked below DD.

Regardless of production, in terms of offensive skill-sets other than passing and offensive awareness (shooting, skating) I'd argue Doughty is pretty much on par with Karlsson in real life.

Kane same defensive awarness as Bergeron I don't really get but whatever, these player ratings aren't worth getting worked up over.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
One thing that confuses me. Kopitar's best attributes are passing, puck control, slap shot power and offensive awareness, rated 92 each. However, Kopitar's overall rating is 93 overall, higher than his best attributes. How is that possible?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I really think they need to fix/revisit the attribute system. I'd love to see higher value placed on attributes over 90, and 95. In order to make this work EA would have to update the prospect growth system, so it requires x amount more exp to get a 90 in any attribute, and even more (say double?) to break into the 95+ range. This would allow for better/ more realistic ratings for players.

Lets use Kane as an example. We know how Ea has rated him, but here's what I'd like too see.

Kane - 93 Overall

Puck Skill
Deking - 98
Hand-eye - 96
Passing - 96
Puck Control - 98

Shooting
SlapSA - 92
SlapSP - 86
WristSA - 95
WristSP - 89

Skating
Acceleration - 92
Agility - 96
Balance - 83
Endurance - 90
Speed - 86

Senses
Discipline - 90
Off. Awareness - 98
Poise - 95

Defense
Def. Awareness - 85
Face-off - 75
Shot Block - 76
Stick Checking - 91

Physical
Aggressiveness - 70
Body Checking - 65
Durability - 85
Fighting Skill - 55
Strength - 80

The reason Kane is so highly rated is due to having top end Puck Skills, Shot accuracy, explosive skating, and Senses. His defense, and Physicality would be closer to average at the NHL level, but are more than made up for by his offensive abilities.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Agreed that the rating system is flawed. If they gave Kane his realistic attributes, he probably would only come out like an 87 or 88 overall because the overall rating puts so much emphasis on defensive awareness. He should be a super high end offensive player and average/below average in defense and physicality. That's the player he is. He's a great player because of his offensive ability. He's never going to win a Selke, so why give him Selke caliber defensive stats? That's dumb.

I'm starting to agree with the guy(s) who have said to just get rid of overall ratings and go solely with the individual attributes. Only disadvantage to that is it would be more difficult for casual fans to identify useful players. Everyone can look at Crosby's 95 overall and say "well that's obviously a great player". Sifting through individual attributes would be more difficult, and I think it might put off the average fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad