NHL 17 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So the Habs in NHL 17 will have a 94 overall Shea Weber and a 93 overall Carey Price. That's like having the Great Wall of China on defense, the Habs will be impossible to score against. They also have an 89 overall Pacioretty leading the offense. Those ratings won't reflect the quality of this year's Habs team.

Stephleref

Held by Holtby
May 28, 2011
So the Habs in NHL 17 will have a 94 overall Shea Weber and a 93 overall Carey Price. That's like having the Great Wall of China on defense, the Habs will be impossible to score against. They also have an 89 overall Pacioretty leading the offense. Those ratings won't reflect the quality of this year's Habs team.

You're using logic,logic has no business in a EA hockey game lol. Price will probably suck just like NHL 16 and people will use a taller goalie in HUT like Lehner and Bishop and the speedsters like Hagelin will run circle around a big tall defender like Weber.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You're using logic,logic has no business in a EA hockey game lol. Price will probably suck just like NHL 16 and people will use a taller goalie in HUT like Lehner and Bishop and the speedsters like Hagelin will run circle around a big tall defender like Weber.

If Weber is 94 overall, chances are that he will also skate fast, or at least faster than in reality. Shea Weber is a pain to play against in NHL 16. Price has decent size, he's not a mammoth like Bishop or Lehner but he can glove an Ovechkin one timer from point blank range in NHL 16.

I find the hardest D to play against in NHL 16 is Keith. All you have to do to defend with Keith is to mash the pokecheck button, it never misses.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Certain attributes have a bigger effect on the overall than others. Defensive awareness skyrockets defensemens overalls and strength is a pretty good one as well. Explains most of those, although I don't have a problem with Suter's rating.

I'm not a huge fan of this defense really. It explains that part, but then opens the other can of worms: why in the hell is their overall rating system so broken that people have to use that to explain completely bizzare player overalls?

I mean, broken overall system wouldn't be a big problem if it wasn't plastered everywhere by the game and used as the main determining factor for a player (and used in assistant coach lines, etc.) and used as such a big marketing factor. They've had this broken overall system for as long as I can remember, and really it could be fixed by weighting overall differently based on the style of player they are and a quick re-tune of the fine weighting values. For example an OFD with high offense values would have more weight on those for overall, which would put Karlsson up in the top 2-3 for Defense.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm not a huge fan of this defense really. It explains that part, but then opens the other can of worms: why in the hell is their overall rating system so broken that people have to use that to explain completely bizzare player overalls?

I mean, broken overall system wouldn't be a big problem if it wasn't plastered everywhere by the game and used as the main determining factor for a player (and used in assistant coach lines, etc.) and used as such a big marketing factor. They've had this broken overall system for as long as I can remember, and really it could be fixed by weighting overall differently based on the style of player they are and a quick re-tune of the fine weighting values. For example an OFD with high offense values would have more weight on those for overall, which would put Karlsson up in the top 2-3 for Defense.

I agree, but the assistant coach oart isn't entirely true. If a player has great offensive stats but a low overall they'll be placed in the top 6 and PP

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I love to hear the arguments over the overall ratings. Every year in the wish lists I ask for them to do away with it; and rather just give me ratings for six or seven attributes; like skating, shooting, physical play, passing, offensive & defensive play, etc. Then let me put my team together with that information. Would make it feel more like a role-playing experience; and would let you try out minor league players and prospects that you might never pay attention to otherwise.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I agree, but the assistant coach oart isn't entirely true. If a player has great offensive stats but a low overall they'll be placed in the top 6 and PP

That is true, however I do believe it is still used in goalies and defensive pairings, as well as organizing players within the top 6/bottom 6. Could be wrong on that too, I've just personally noticed that it seems to organize that way.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bergeron not a top 10 center :laugh:.

The dude is the 3rd best player in the world yet he doesn't crack EA's top 10 C's.

Bergeron is not the 3rd best player in the world.

Toews being the 2nd rated center is pretty laughable too.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Bergeron not a top 10 center :laugh:.

The dude is the 3rd best player in the world yet he doesn't crack EA's top 10 C's.

Bergeron is not the 3rd best player in the world, but he is a top 5 to top 10 C.
Here is the ranking for the top 10 Cs for NHL 17.

1. Sidney Crosby (95)
2. Jonathan Toews (94)
3. Steven Stamkos (94)
4. Anze Kopitar (93)
5. John Tavares (93)
6. Evgeni Malkin (93)
7. Tyler Seguin (92)
8. Ryan Getzlaf (91)
9. Nicklas Backstrom (91)
10. Claude Giroux (91)

Stamkos and Toews are far too high, Getzlaf shouldn't be in the top 10. Bergeron should be in there, right behind Malkin and Kopitar and above Tavares.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
:laugh: Toews's rating is just hysterical. Truly hysterical. Should be an 87 or 88 at the highest. Even that would be high, but at least reasonable. 94 is just beyond defense. The best part is that he's rated better than Pavelski? How? He is not better than Joe Pavelski at ANYTHING. Nothing. Pavelski is better at literally everything hockey related. Every single thing.

Crazyalbo

May 30, 2011
Mahopac, New York
is there any catch to the nhl rewards thing? also, can i only get early access if i buy the game digitally? or will i also get it if i buy it from gamestop?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

At least they gave up massively over-rating everyone on Vancouver like they used to

I remember Brendan Gaunce having one of the highest potentials a few years ago only behind guys like MacKinnon and Drouin

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The problem with NHL overalls is that because of how they are calculated, a lot of players don't actually have attributes that reflect their true strengths and weaknesses because giving them that would deflate the number attached to their name, and there is politics to overalls. Not that a player is going to be mad or something, but you can't have Toews one of the league's biggest stars not have a huge overall.

They should get rid of overalls entirely and just go with visible attributes. As in, you can see the numbers attached to speed/shot power/etc, but there is no main overall number attached to each player.

It'd be more realistic for GM mode as well, since players would actually become valuable based on how much they produce. Especially later on, there are players you can sign to 1M per deals because they are only 78 overall, but because they have a mutated shot/high offensive awareness they'll put up 30 goals easily.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I love to hear the arguments over the overall ratings. Every year in the wish lists I ask for them to do away with it; and rather just give me ratings for six or seven attributes; like skating, shooting, physical play, passing, offensive & defensive play, etc. Then let me put my team together with that information. Would make it feel more like a role-playing experience; and would let you try out minor league players and prospects that you might never pay attention to otherwise.

Been saying this for 10 years, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad