** NHL 15 Thread ** Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
How does every other sports game manage to have accurate player faces?

I'm playing MLB 14, with more players on each roster than on an NHL team, and about 80%+ of the faces are accurate. What about FIFA? NBA?

And I'm not an EA hater - most critiques on here are way off base. I just don't understand what's so hard about getting at least 50%+ accurate faces.

Hell if I know the reason why it is different. Different allocation of resources, manpower, etc?

Heisenberg77

Jan 8, 2007
Yet another disappointing video. At least this time we got a couple quick glimpses of how awesome having deking and skating separate is going to be.

Very impressed with how the ice looks and how the animation is looking. Great collision detection too.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

Wait, what?

"12 player collision physics"

Thought we had that already.

"Pucks can hop over sticks.."

"...Squeeze through an opening..."

"...and deflect unpredictably."

Basically they tell us nothing really new, and it seems like pucks will still be attached to sticks when a player has possession. Meh.

Jacob8hockey*

The EA forums make it sound like groundbreaking gameplay :laugh:

Its like EA paid them all to hype it up. Nothing new here.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
:laugh: at the shot Thornton takes at :09 seconds in. The **** is that? I hate those weird shots where the puck just flies off with no shot motion. Has it on his forehand but it takes off like a backhander out of no where.. and Doughty is literally hovering above the ice superman style when he dives.
end rant.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
One other thing that scares me in the video is the crease crashing goals.. I see a lot of people awkwardly dumping the puck on the goalie and just constantly crashing the crease to knock them in.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lol I am curious to what you guys are expecting them to show :laugh:

This was gameplay to show off the new puck physics, and it looks great! If you can't see the difference between the gameplay there, and the ******** in NHL 14, then well... not sure what to say other than you clearly didn't watch it.

Looks good, keep er coming EA

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
One other thing that scares me in the video is the crease crashing goals.. I see a lot of people awkwardly dumping the puck on the goalie and just constantly crashing the crease to knock them in.

There is a thing called goalie interference, and the puck won't go in every time. Some time is will go behind the net, others the goalie will hang on. I assume the goalies rebound control stat will affect how likely they are to hang on to it.

Don't see this as an issue at all

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
lol I am curious to what you guys are expecting them to show :laugh:

This was gameplay to show off the new puck physics, and it looks great! If you can't see the difference between the gameplay there, and the ******** in NHL 14, then well... not sure what to say other than you clearly didn't watch it.

Looks good, keep er coming EA

What am I expecting them to show? Something that looks like the game is different.

Like I said, it seems the stuff they claimed to add are already things that occur in NHL 14.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
There is a thing called goalie interference, and the puck won't go in every time. Some time is will go behind the net, others the goalie will hang on. I assume the goalies rebound control stat will affect how likely they are to hang on to it.

Don't see this as an issue at all

Which is incredibly messed up in NHL 14. If they get it right in 15, then sure.. not an issue.

Conse

Jun 4, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
From the leaked gameplay at e3 we could see the puck was not bouncing like a beach ball after a dump in already.

For me the trailer was ok, they said it would be about physics and it is about physics. I don't know what you were expecting.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What am I expecting them to show? Something that looks like the game is different.

Like I said, it seems the stuff they claimed to add are already things that occur in NHL 14.

The puck physics is different. And no, 12 man collisions are not possible in NHL 14. It was game-plays about the puck physics, did you think that meant they are going to show us the whole game or?

These have always been like this. Just small videos showing off the new features.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
The realism with the goalies definitely needs a bit of work. The Scrivens play on the Stamkos goal at 0:31 is something that an NHL goalie would never attempt. It just looks like he's diving at Stamkos to get the puck.

Even the fact that every goalie has the exact same stance, and they all hold their glove the same odd way, is something that seems like a fix possible over the course of a year. It is nice to see Lundqvist warming up in his crease in the other video, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't use those movements during gameplay.

Overall, from the videos we've seen, everything does look slightly better, but nothing looks like a massive upgrade.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The puck physics is different. And no, 12 man collisions are not possible in NHL 14. It was game-plays about the puck physics, did you think that meant they are going to show us the whole game or?

These have always been like this. Just small videos showing off the new features.

Yeah, they say it is different, but I didn't see a lot except for the puck rolling and perhaps a bit of a change with the way the puck clanked off the post.

And no, I wasn't expecting them to show the whole game. Nothing I said implied that, so not sure where you got that idea from.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Meh, the video was alright. Nothing really groundbreaking though. I feel like the demo of the game is going to be littered with goalie interference calls like it was littered with forced fights in the '14 demo, and pucks bouncing off sticks after passes in the '13 demo. I hope the puck is truly loose so you can lose possession while trying to deke with a 4th liner and such. That would be a big step towards making each player feel different.

Tyler Biggs*

I like the goal celebrations, the graphics look pretty good!

Madic

May 21, 2008
Visually the ice looks upgrades, but seeing the same old animations was disappointing.
Animations are big to me, too. I don't mind if the game isn't visually overhauled every year, I don't care about arenas very much or the crowd. The most important cosmetic change to me is improving the robotic/awkward way players shoot and pass. Slappers are pretty decent, but snapshots are awful and players still looks stiff and upright when passing, there's no evidence of leverage or motion being used to propel pucks. Sticks are used like axes during passes sometimes, it's really ugly.

I also hated the bouncy pucks in corners, but we really shouldn't be applauding EA for taking it out...they left it in to artificially stimulate the dump and chase game, as opposed to actually creating a game that allowed it.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I really hope they toned down the bouncing pucks and not made them more prevelent.. that was really annoying in 14 and very unrealistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad