** NHL 15 Thread ** Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max et Guillaume

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
So I was playing Madden 25 last night, where they show some tidbits from past Maddens... And it says Madden 2001 was the first to have real life coaches on the side lines.... That's 14 years ago... Does the NHL franchise not have real coaches because of laziness or licensing issues?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So I was playing Madden 25 last night, where they show some tidbits from past Maddens... And it says Madden 2001 was the first to have real life coaches on the side lines.... That's 14 years ago... Does the NHL franchise not have real coaches because of laziness or licensing issues?

Licensing. Plus they never utilize the coaches other than your lame cutscene. Have no clue how much such a license would cost though. I always thought the same about having actual refs/linesmen in there and maybe having their likenesses and tendencies in the game, so you can have varying results with officiating depending on the assigned officials. Would add a new crinkle to the gameplay.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Licensing. Plus they never utilize the coaches other than your lame cutscene. Have no clue how much such a license would cost though. I always thought the same about having actual refs/linesmen in there and maybe having their likenesses and tendencies in the game, so you can have varying results with officiating depending on the assigned officials. Would add a new crinkle to the gameplay.

I also think it has to do with the nature of both sports. In football, the play that the coach calls is imperative. Hockey has some set plays, but there is a lot more creativity at the player level, whereas most of the creativity in football is from the coaches(this is a generalization, I realize there are creative football players). You can change your strategies in the NHL series(it doesn't do anything, but you can do it) so that kind of removes the need for the head coach. Head coaches would be an awesome addition to GM mode, but they wouldn't make a difference in actual game play.

EDIT: I also like the idea of either real officials, or at least officials tendency. Even if they can't get the names of the officials, they could have them behave in a different manner. Before each game you could see if you had a relatively loose official, and you could get away with some more stick infractions/post whistle scrums, or a strict one that will call nearly everything. That would definitely add a new layer to the game.

Max et Guillaume

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
I also think it has to do with the nature of both sports. In football, the play that the coach calls is imperative. Hockey has some set plays, but there is a lot more creativity at the player level, whereas most of the creativity in football is from the coaches(this is a generalization, I realize there are creative football players). You can change your strategies in the NHL series(it doesn't do anything, but you can do it) so that kind of removes the need for the head coach. Head coaches would be an awesome addition to GM mode, but they wouldn't make a difference in actual game play.

Agreed, it's more of a visual thing as a basic feature. They talk about realistic stadiums, put coaches that look like their real life counterparts. Phase II would be to have the coaches move around in BaGM and actually reflect their style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad