** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
I can say that Ice Tilt/Momentum or whatever it is exists, i have noticed it happening against me, and for me. And i'm not saying that i suck, have a bad HUT team etc., but i've noticed that sometimes the other team gets all the bounces to their sticks, and i lose the puck way too easily and they seem to have the puck glued to their stick, but i've noticed that sometimes i have seemed to have the "Ice Tilt" meaning i get all the loose pucks and the "Luck" seems to be on me.

I just hope they would fix it so that it's the same for the both teams every time, i understand that sometimes you might get lucky and get a few bounces etc., but when this keeps happening throughout the game to me/the other guy, it really takes fun away from the game, since it's not the same for both.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Like I have said before, I believe that is an issue with the mechanics of the game and their "momentum engine" or whatever they call it. It isn't something that I think benefits of a losing team or a weaker team, but just something that happens arbitrarily and creates completely unrealistic scenarios (such as the puck teleporting to a stick, passes not connecting, etc.) which frustrate players.

So you're basically saying they have an engine that builds in glitches to one team specifically? Seems very unrealistic to me.

easyxp

Dec 22, 2013
Wtf? It says this players career is over. Can't add any consumables on him??

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So you're basically saying they have an engine that builds in glitches to one team specifically? Seems very unrealistic to me.

I'm not saying they have an engine that builds in glitches, I am saying they have an engine which is broken.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm not saying they have an engine that builds in glitches, I am saying they have an engine which is broken.

It's conveniently "broken" for only one team at a time. This year seems worse than ever with how effective the stick lift can be. I just played a game that resulted in me taking 6 penalties for tripping/high sticking, and time and time again not gaining the puck back through anything but body checking or blocking shots. The other player meanwhile didnt take any penalties for stick offenses, and gained the puck back nearly every time he was near me. It was a close game in the end, but it takes all the fun out of it. Even winning those games leaves you feeling ripped off and frustrated

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
So, to recap, the (purely anecdotal) evidence for ice-tilt is "sometimes I get bounces, and sometimes the other team gets bounces."

Sounds almost like real life, don't it?

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
EA Forum logic:

- Don't communicate with the community at all
- Community comes up with own theories due to lack of information regarding how the game works
- Flip out when the community comes up with said theories
- Provide quotes from devs/mods to prove the community wrong ... from past titles, not even referencing the current iteration ... Threaten community if they question it ever again.

What a bunch of clowns. :laugh:

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
I recently started playing NHL 14. My team is the LA Kings and I just started GM Mode.

If anyone is interesting playing a game with me, my xbox 360 gamertag is MustangMcCloud. leave a note and say you're from hfboards and I'll accept your request and we'll play a game or two.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
you guys like this rush? next time I gotta put it five hole, o well, bergeron finished it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruins37

Oct 9, 2005
Boston
Anyone having issues with line changes? When I play online, my team frequently changes lines even though I am not pushing any buttons. I will be skating up the ice, the line change menu will appear and the puck slides off the player's stick. The player who is controlling the puck will suddenly lose possession when it happens and it always turns into an easy turnover for my opponent.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
One of the worst ice tilts ever just happened

We're up 3:2 with 0.5 seconds left of the game. The opposing team shoots at the net, and my goalie is going to automaticly freeze the puck with an opponent infront of him, and they tie the game 3:3 with 0.1 seconds left of the game..

Something like this happened in NHL 13 aswell, but then I was 0.3 seconds from a shutout :shakehead

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
You guys are crazy. Bad breaks and good breaks are part of hockey. The game isn't actively out to get you.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
The problem with people who think there is Ice Tilt, is they never put themselves in the opponents shoes.

When the breaks are going your way, you don't even think of it as that. You just think you are good and you're owning at the game. In reality, you are probably only as good as your opponent, and the random breaks are going your way.

Think of this: When you are getting owned, and down by 2 in the third, but you stay calm, battle back, and tie and win in OT.. Is it because you are that good? No. Most likely, it's because the breaks started going the other way. On the other end of the game, your opponent thinks he is getting "EAed" or ice tilted...

Theory debunked.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
You guys are crazy. Bad breaks and good breaks are part of hockey. The game isn't actively out to get you.

The problem with people who think there is Ice Tilt, is they never put themselves in the opponents shoes.

When the breaks are going your way, you don't even think of it as that. You just think you are good and you're owning at the game. In reality, you are probably only as good as your opponent, and the random breaks are going your way.

Think of this: When you are getting owned, and down by 2 in the third, but you stay calm, battle back, and tie and win in OT.. Is it because you are that good? No. Most likely, it's because the breaks started going the other way. On the other end of the game, your opponent thinks he is getting "EAed" or ice tilted...

Theory debunked.

Yeah, no. I've experienced it firsthand way too many times. I ALWAYS have a harder time facing opponents with mediocre records compared to mine, and it has nothing to do with their play style or anything like that. Their CPU is fantastic and mine backs off and literally makes way for offensive players. My goalie ***** the bed when the time is running out and my players can't connect on an open play to save their lives.

It's not farfetched to think EA implemented a balance mechanism to keep the casual fan from being discouraged. I don't know how or why there are people dispelling what is blatantly obvious if you've played enough online versus games. Competence gets punished via a handicap. Makes the games close as long as each player is playing semi-decent defense, the cpu does the rest. The game doesn't reward skill.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Yeah, no. I've experienced it firsthand way too many times. I ALWAYS have a harder time facing opponents with mediocre records compared to mine, and it has nothing to do with their play style or anything like that. Their CPU is fantastic and mine backs off and literally makes way for offensive players. My goalie ***** the bed when the time is running out and my players can't connect on an open play to save their lives.

It's not farfetched to think EA implemented a balance mechanism to keep the casual fan from being discouraged. I don't know how or why there are people dispelling what is blatantly obvious if you've played enough online versus games. Competence gets punished via a handicap. Makes the games close as long as each player is playing semi-decent defense, the cpu does the rest. The game doesn't reward skill.

I'm willing to bet this isn't true.

Have any of you ice-tilt conspiracy theorists ever considered actually properly testing this crap out? You really should. Gather a group of people with varied records, have them face each other, ideally record/stream a few games, mark the results. Because "I've experienced X" is equally valid evidence to "I haven't experienced X" or "I've experienced Y". Which is to say, it's not valid.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is why you use custom sliders. Won't have any of these cheap AI situations.

If you play as a goalie, they don't work very much unfortunately. If anything it makes it more obvious. In the last 3 minutes of just about every game you're winning, it's extremely likely the other team will score and there's nothing you can do about it. The opposition definitely gets a boost, and it's very noticeable when all you can do is sit and watch it. It's like clockwork. It's so much like clockwork that I've never earned a shutout on my own because the opposing team is guaranteed to get at least one goal in the dying minutes of the game, and it's really frustrating after you've held a team to 0 for 57+ minutes behind flawed, unbalanced AI.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I just had a game where I was up 1-0 going into the third and I pinned him in his own zone for almost the entire third period. Ended up with something like 11 minutes of time on attack, and won the game 1-0. Never have I seen any of this ice tilt stuff you guys are talking about. I get some lucky bounces sometimes, and they get some lucky bounces sometimes. Hockey can be a random game a lot of the time. Fans of NHL games complain like no one else I've ever seen.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I just had a game where I was up 1-0 going into the third and I pinned him in his own zone for almost the entire third period. Ended up with something like 11 minutes of time on attack, and won the game 1-0. Never have I seen any of this ice tilt stuff you guys are talking about. I get some lucky bounces sometimes, and they get some lucky bounces sometimes. Hockey can be a random game a lot of the time. Fans of NHL games complain like no one else I've ever seen.

Start a career as BAP goalie. You'll see it.

Tukka Rask

Feb 1, 2012
Easy way to see if ice tilt exists: take a look into the game's source code. The problem is, the game hasn't been released on the PC since 09. Someone who supposedly took a look at 09's code said to have found elements that support ice tilt (favouring the other team). However, ice tilt didn't really get bad until later installments.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Honestly, I barely noticed it before this year. I don't really notice it at all as a skater, only as a goalie where it can be overwhelmingly obvious.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Don't just use a big term like "Ice Tilt"

There are clear issues with the mechanics in the game.

No lateral backskating, True Interference isn't ever called, AI moving in the opposite direction, no full stick control, and much much more

They get that fixed, and you won't feel the ice is tilted against you

whitehh

Oct 16, 2012

It's not lucky bounces that I've linked to "ice tilt". The complete opposite is true, for half the game one team has magnets on their sticks and bubbles around their players, then the comeback mode initiates and switches the mechanics in favor for the other guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad