** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I can't get over how bad the simming is. They fixed the speed but now have no more logic. Teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Detroit shouldn't be finishing at the bottom of the league while Florida wins the President's Trophy and Calgary wins the Stanley Cup.

I've simmed 5 years now, I have made the playoffs zero times with a team that has gotten better objectively (stats) every year. I should not be going on 15+ game losing streaks constantly. I should not be getting shutout 35 times a season. I understand in hockey there's a level of randomness but seriously.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Canada roster is still the same with Morrow and Pronger?

Put Stamkos on the team at least...

National team roster will stay the same until the next Olympics.....

I can't get over how bad the simming is. They fixed the speed but now have no more logic. Teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Detroit shouldn't be finishing at the bottom of the league while Florida wins the President's Trophy and Calgary wins the Stanley Cup.

I've simmed 5 years now, I have made the playoffs zero times with a team that has gotten better objectively (stats) every year. I should not be going on 15+ game losing streaks constantly. I should not be getting shutout 35 times a season. I understand in hockey there's a level of randomness but seriously.

The whole issue of certain teams finishing high and others finishing low has been an issue since at least NHL12. Every year I've played the game I've seen teams like Florida/Columbus/Toronto/Calgary winning the Cup/President's trophy while legit playoff teams (Boston/Pittsburgh/Detroit/Chicago/Los Angeles) come in last. Half the problem seems to be that if a team has a good goaltender then the rest of the team doesn't matter that much when it comes to the simulation engine. As for the 15 game losing streaks I really can't comment because I'm still setting up my offline Be a GM mode file.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
How do I know if I have a trade offer in HUT? Will it come up in my app?

edit: oops, wrong thread

Last edited:

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
I'm loving it so far, but there is one thing that bugs me really much. Faceoffs. I can't get my timing right. Am I supposed to move RS up/down immediatly when the ref makes a move to drop the puck, or just before when the puck hits the ice (more authentic way)?? I play EASHL, have played center since '11 and my FO% used to be 60+. Now it's barely above 50. I feel like the counters are not effective anymore, the regular backhand dominates. Now it's more about who has better timing on their backhands instead of countering and outsmarting your opponent, and that's what used to make it fun for me. Now every faceoff is a frustrating battle. It's not about my attributes either, I have 95 FO rating, 85 hand-eye and 85 strenght.

I tried asking this on the EA forums but never really got any useful answers. Help would be much appreciated, this is killing the fun for me because I'm constantly frustrated when I can't win draws.

Bumping my own post...

Eagles MA

Sep 9, 2011
Ha! I got it one day early. In Germany, it's supposed to be released tomorrow. Thank you, Amazon.de

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Bumping my own post...

Faceoffs are really simple. The odds of you winning a draw come down to;

1)Faceoff stat
2)Timing
3)Stance\Draw type

You time your faceoff so your stick grabs the puck as it's dropped. The timing is different for every draw type but if you watch close you should be able to eyeball it.

If you're playing a computer, the best way to win draws is to wait for him to put his stick down first. Also, use a different stance every time. Computers will dominate you on the draw if you use the same stance.

Don't forget the importance of tying up by pushing up on the left stick. It can create great scoring chances.

Hope this helps.

Oops just read the end of your post. I also play center in eashl, I think it's the same. Have 85 FO stat and I get about 60% against a decent FO man.

Do you ever match draw types?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Ran into this little gem last night:

20130910_2223391_zps47af707f.jpg

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Anybody else run into any game mode where you try to play and it says " go to easports.com/nhl/ to receive alternate jersey code?" I have gotten it and can't play it at all, can't find any jersey code on my receipt or online, so I can't play.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Anybody else run into any game mode where you try to play and it says " go to easports.com/nhl/ to receive alternate jersey code?" I have gotten it and can't play it at all, can't find any jersey code on my receipt or online, so I can't play.

Are you trying to use a specific team or does it just do this as soon as you try to launch a game mode? It will give you that message if you attempt to play as or play against a team with a blacked out jersey with a lock on it, but otherwise you shouldn't be having that issue.

Last edited:

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Did they just make poke checks even worse with the last tuner update? I just played a game where I had 9 tripping penalties... it's like they don't want you to use it at all any more.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
I found a glitch, in Be a Pro I played till the prospect game started a stagged fight and ended up fighting myself that was also playing on the other prospect team...

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Are you trying to use a specific team or does it just do this as soon as you try to launch a game mode? It will give you that message if you attempt to play as or play against a team with a blacked out jersey with a lock on it, but otherwise you shouldn't be having that issue.

I haven't been able to play offline as any team, even with jerseys that aren't locked

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I haven't been able to play offline as any team, even with jerseys that aren't locked

Weird I haven't had any issue playing in any mode and I have no idea why it would be giving you that message if you aren't trying to use a locked jersey. Try posting on EA's main forum to see if someone can give you a fix.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Did they just make poke checks even worse with the last tuner update? I just played a game where I had 9 tripping penalties... it's like they don't want you to use it at all any more.

They definitely nerfed the poke by reducing the angle you can make a pokecheck from. You gotta be at least facing the puck carrier to get a good chance to poke it away.

Eagles MA

Sep 9, 2011
Just had my first freeze (on PS3). Was playing LTL and simmed to my next shift. When I stepped on the ice and the goalie was pulled, the game just froze with 49 seconds remaining.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
worst soundtrack in the history of games...seriously every song is garbage. found on bug on the wbs pens: brian dumolin and brian gibbons have the same pic.

overall i like the game but it's taking awhile to get used to. the menu switching (rosters/gm stuff) is slow as hell.

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
Faceoffs are really simple. The odds of you winning a draw come down to;

1)Faceoff stat
2)Timing
3)Stance\Draw type

You time your faceoff so your stick grabs the puck as it's dropped. The timing is different for every draw type but if you watch close you should be able to eyeball it.

If you're playing a computer, the best way to win draws is to wait for him to put his stick down first. Also, use a different stance every time. Computers will dominate you on the draw if you use the same stance.

Don't forget the importance of tying up by pushing up on the left stick. It can create great scoring chances.

Hope this helps.

Oops just read the end of your post. I also play center in eashl, I think it's the same. Have 85 FO stat and I get about 60% against a decent FO man.

Do you ever match draw types?

Thanks for replying. Yeah I actually know all the stance and counter stuff pretty well. I was just lost with the timing but you explained it very understandably. I used to use the tie-up ALOT but feels like it works nothing like it used to. Could you tell how you time tie-up draws this year?

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Passes go through any and everything in eashl... its a joke I just hope it has to do with low overalls

In the neutral zone you still get screwed but at least in front of the net other teams seem to be doing a much better job deflecting our passes than they were the first day of early release.

Eagles MA

Sep 9, 2011
worst soundtrack in the history of games...seriously every song is garbage. found on bug on the wbs pens: brian dumolin and brian gibbons have the same pic.

overall i like the game but it's taking awhile to get used to. the menu switching (rosters/gm stuff) is slow as hell.

Antoine Vermette and David Moss both have Vermette's pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad