** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
First try in the HUT tourny I lost to canada who had 2 shots for the period. We went to overtime at 2-2. They took one shot in OT and it went in...

Next try I destroyed them 5-0 and they had zero shots. I guess the key is you don't let them get any shots...lol.

PookDo

Sep 7, 2008
It was hard for me to shut off the game last night. only thing that bugs me about it at the moment is the fact that its only one period but I get it, its a demo. So happy I have 9/6 off so I can download the game a few days early. I have that season thing. I forgot what its called

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Anything on the Be a GM sim speeds that were at SNAILS pace last year? In NHL 10 I could sim an entire season in about an hour. Now Ill spend 4+ hours (12/13) on 1 season only because of the sim speed.

PookDo

Sep 7, 2008
I find it funny that Chara is even fighting. I tried so many times with NHL 12 and 13 during Be a Pro to engage him and usally ended up with an unsportman like penalty.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
For the first time since it came out on Xbox 360 I probably won't be buying NHL 14.. The game is just extremely mediocre and nothing really like the sport of hockey. The skating changes last year were long overdue and I was excited, but they totally butchered it. Every year we see very little improvements or if there are big improvements they always seem 'off.' You want to play an unbelievable game that is very much like the actual sport, go get FIFA 14. Even if you're not a soccer fan it's just an amazing game.

Sorry for those who don't like seeing these kind of comments but as someone who has supported the game for 7 years I'm getting bored of my favorite sports game and am sick of the lack of improvements. The game just flat out sucks.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
NHL 14 gets a free pass from me, provided NHL 15 is truly incredible. with next-gen and Ignite engine, im expecting really epic stuff. like FIFA 14 epic. i doubt they deliver though :/

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone know whether Amazon.ca (Canada) does release-day shipping for the NHL titles? I would prefer their pre-order specials, but I want the game on release day. I can't get a straight answer out of Amazon, but if it was available last year, I assume it will be again. Did anyone preorder '13 from Amazon.ca?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
For the first time since it came out on Xbox 360 I probably won't be buying NHL 14.. The game is just extremely mediocre and nothing really like the sport of hockey. The skating changes last year were long overdue and I was excited, but they totally butchered it. Every year we see very little improvements or if there are big improvements they always seem 'off.' You want to play an unbelievable game that is very much like the actual sport, go get FIFA 14. Even if you're not a soccer fan it's just an amazing game.

Sorry for those who don't like seeing these kind of comments but as someone who has supported the game for 7 years I'm getting bored of my favorite sports game and am sick of the lack of improvements. The game just flat out sucks.

So out of all the games in the past 7 years this is somehow the worst? Get real this is the closest game they've made to the actual sport. There is only so much you can do within the confines of games. I'm not sure what else you are expecting considering they fixed the "butchered" skating.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
So out of all the games in the past 7 years this is somehow the worst? Get real this is the closest game they've made to the actual sport. There is only so much you can do within the confines of games. I'm not sure what else you are expecting considering they fixed the "butchered" skating.

I really like the demo. I have faith they will lower the fight frequency but goals seem a lot more realistic when you come by them, the skating is much better. Passes now connect, proper defensive positioning is rewarded.

The game was good in 13 and they just made it that much better.

tututooter21

Aug 18, 2010
B.C.
I feel like this is a big fix to all the bad things that 11/12/13 had, with all the good stuff they had + added stuff. Overall, I believe it is worth 60$, but I can totally understand how someone wouldn't.

Hopefully it runs faster than 13, cause that was god-awful and embarrassing

ScottStevens

Jun 20, 2013
The Skating is great, shots are realistic, hits aren't happening all the time, but still effective (not all the time), and the goalies are improving. Seems like we will get those 2-1 games a lot more. I am very excited.

tututooter21

Aug 18, 2010
B.C.
The Skating is great, shots are realistic, hits aren't happening all the time, but still effective (not all the time), and the goalies are improving. Seems like we will get those 2-1 games a lot more. I am very excited.

Agreed, this is a good balance between: User skill, Player skill, and Luck

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Where did I say this is the worst out of all of them? The point is by now I would have hoped for something a lot better. The past few years I have gotten the games and haven't been able to get into them for the full year. NHL 12 lasted me until Christmas before it became stale and NHL 13 was even worse. The skating was bad before but what pisses me off is they upgraded it to this garbage. Acceleration is pathetic, turning is horrible, speed burst is too video gameish. Worst of all, when you have momentum and move sideways it looks like your player is going to blow a tire. It's just all very mediocre and not at all close to how players in the NHL skate. Deking is improving but skating needs to be improved if deking is going to be realistic. When you make a move your guy just stays in a solid stance while his stick does all the work. In real hockey you would see the feet making creative movements with the stick. The skating makes the pace of the game slow and boring.

IMO fighting, goalies, shots are all pretty accurate but the game will always be bad until skating is normal.

There are also so many small things that add to it. The crowd is boring, the commentators are getting old and so are the things they say, the shootouts suck, they still haven't added in different tape jobs (NHL 2K8 had this for god sakes), there aren't enough dekes, the celebrations suck. I could honestly go on and on. It's just getting old. FIFA is so far ahead of NHL it's not even funny.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Your opinion, but lets be honest.. skating is far from great. It's slow and choppy. The rest I do agree with.

EDIT - Pivots, crossovers, and little movements like that are fine but the straight line skating, sharp turns, and body movement while skating is not right.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
FIFA is in its own class. you can compare Madden to NHL but not FIFA to anything else.

50cf9_Rhwjl2G.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad