** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Where did I say this is the worst out of all of them? The point is by now I would have hoped for something a lot better. The past few years I have gotten the games and haven't been able to get into them for the full year. NHL 12 lasted me until Christmas before it became stale and NHL 13 was even worse. The skating was bad before but what pisses me off is they upgraded it to this garbage. Acceleration is pathetic, turning is horrible, speed burst is too video gameish. Worst of all, when you have momentum and move sideways it looks like your player is going to blow a tire. It's just all very mediocre and not at all close to how players in the NHL skate. Deking is improving but skating needs to be improved if deking is going to be realistic. When you make a move your guy just stays in a solid stance while his stick does all the work. In real hockey you would see the feet making creative movements with the stick. The skating makes the pace of the game slow and boring.

IMO fighting, goalies, shots are all pretty accurate but the game will always be bad until skating is normal.

There are also so many small things that add to it. The crowd is boring, the commentators are getting old and so are the things they say, the shootouts suck, they still haven't added in different tape jobs (NHL 2K8 had this for god sakes), there aren't enough dekes, the celebrations suck. I could honestly go on and on. It's just getting old. FIFA is so far ahead of NHL it's not even funny.

The skating is the best it's ever been. You are playing a video game so of course things will seem like a game. I've not played one sport game that even comes close to feeling like a real life game.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm surprised so many are getting an NHL 13 feel from this game.

I think the difference is night and day. With some tuner adjustments (hitting is far too easy with too many fights as a result, game speed is a little too fast), this may be one of the most realistic hockey games I've ever played.

The physics are phenomenal, the skating is much improved and the AI - your teammates and your opponents - is simply better in every regard.

I've never been this excited for an NHL game as far as gameplay goes.

Gary83*

Well, I like the settings on hardcore sim. But even still the sliders are always absolutely ramped up during demo, I'll wait until the finished product to judge it, but for the amount of time I'll spend playing NHL the $60 is a great investment.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I will say, as someone who has never played HUT except for on this demo, it's a very cool concept. Surprised I never gave it a shot, but as a Be a GM guy, my time is mostly invested in that facet of the game.

Is it both an online and offline mode? I prefer playing offline.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I will say, as someone who has never played HUT except for on this demo, it's a very cool concept. Surprised I never gave it a shot, but as a Be a GM guy, my time is mostly invested in that facet of the game.

Is it both an online and offline mode? I prefer playing offline.

It's all online but you can play games only against the CPU if you want.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
It's all online but you can play games only against the CPU if you want.

I'm completely in the same boat as gallagt01, never really tried HUT and not a fan of online play.

Tried it out in the demo though and the concept seems really cool. I assume with the demo though, once you run out of game contracts, you can't play anymore?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Just pre-ordered the game.

I was going to buy it soon anyway and the GameStop preorder bonuses make it an easy decision. Very excited for September 10.

tututooter21

Aug 18, 2010
B.C.
I'm completely in the same boat as gallagt01, never really tried HUT and not a fan of online play.

Tried it out in the demo though and the concept seems really cool. I assume with the demo though, once you run out of game contracts, you can't play anymore?

You can buy more contracts or get contracts in a pack

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

In the demo, once you exit HUT, it dumps everything and you start over the next time you enter (with a new "starter" pack). BTW the demo "starter" pack is totally loaded compared to the actual HUT starter pack you'd get in the full game.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
In the demo, once you exit HUT, it dumps everything and you start over the next time you enter (with a new "starter" pack). BTW the demo "starter" pack is totally loaded compared to the actual HUT starter pack you'd get in the full game.

Ohhh okay. I only played it the once but I ran out of games for someone (I hardly play on whatever level it's at).

And good tip on how loaded it is, I noticed I had RNH, Hall, Skinner, Lucic and a bunch of other good forwards.

Can you actually buy more packs in the demo? Seems like a waste unless they transfer to the real game.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Ohhh okay. I only played it the once but I ran out of games for someone (I hardly play on whatever level it's at).

And good tip on how loaded it is, I noticed I had RNH, Hall, Skinner, Lucic and a bunch of other good forwards.

Can you actually buy more packs in the demo? Seems like a waste unless they transfer to the real game.

You can't, and if you look, the pucks you win in the demo actually never get credited.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

Haha, yep. First time I tried HUT was the NHL 12 demo. When I started the actual game I was confused when I got absolute crap in my starter pack. :laugh: Also, that was the demo where if you won the HUT Tournament, you got a Legends card in your starter pack. So I had Lemieux and garbage for my first HUT team.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Haha, yep. First time I tried HUT was the NHL 12 demo. When I started the actual game I was confused when I got absolute crap in my starter pack. :laugh: Also, that was the demo where if you won the HUT Tournament, you got a Legends card in your starter pack. So I had Lemieux and garbage for my first HUT team.

I was so bad at HUT at the time that I couldn't get out of the first round :laugh:

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto

Yeah, but you only got Lemieux for three games...

I'm hoping we might get some new cut scenes before games (ie players in the locker room or something instead of that canned 'in the hallway' thing)...probably won't happen though

Also hoping the game has a new (live action) intro, but I'm guessing by the demo it might be something involving a plane since there are clouds behind the "EA Sports" logo and the sound of a plane? :help:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I was so bad at HUT at the time that I couldn't get out of the first round :laugh:

Not sure what my deal is, but I can't seem to get past Team Canada in this year's demo. Having trouble against Chicago too and I'm starting to wonder if a "pack upgrade" is really worth it.

getzforfighting*

Not sure what my deal is, but I can't seem to get past Team Canada in this year's demo. Having trouble against Chicago too and I'm starting to wonder if a "pack upgrade" is really worth it.

took me forever. feel your pain man

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
The skating is the best it's ever been. You are playing a video game so of course things will seem like a game. I've not played one sport game that even comes close to feeling like a real life game.

Compared to the other sports games though, NHL's presentation is so bad. Madden has a shot of the arena from the outside at the beginning of the game and then cuts to the broadcast booth, which is something that EVERY sports broadcast does. Not to mention you HAVE to download the in-arena music pack available online so that you don't hear the same songs at every break. If I'm playing as the Saints in Madden, after every game a fake twitter account and the big headlines mention how Drew Brees has passed another QB in passing TDs. Something like that is such an easy thing to code into the game but they don't, either because of budget or lack of effort. Either way, it's hard to justify buying the game every year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Compared to the other sports games though, NHL's presentation is so bad. Madden has a shot of the arena from the outside at the beginning of the game and then cuts to the broadcast booth, which is something that EVERY sports broadcast does. Not to mention you HAVE to download the in-arena music pack available online so that you don't hear the same songs at every break. If I'm playing as the Saints in Madden, after every game a fake twitter account and the big headlines mention how Drew Brees has passed another QB in passing TDs. Something like that is such an easy thing to code into the game but they don't, either because of budget or lack of effort. Either way, it's hard to justify buying the game every year.

Are you speaking from experience?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I just played the HUT mode.... is this a single player mode. I always thought it was me vs online players and i dont care to deal with glitch goals and people playing just to win and not look like hockey. Might start playing this on nhl13 until nhl14 comes out.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I just played the HUT mode.... is this a single player mode. I always thought it was me vs online players and i dont care to deal with glitch goals and people playing just to win and not look like hockey. Might start playing this on nhl13 until nhl14 comes out.

It's an online game mode that you can choose to play vs. humans or cpu.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
It's an online game mode that you can choose to play vs. humans or cpu.

i assume you get more rewards playing against human?

I love online game play but sports games have the worst fans who will disconnect if losing and all kinds of stupid **** just to get a win.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just took a shot at the net after the whistle and destroyed Chara with St. Louis. :laugh::laugh::laugh: OMG, this is the greatest moment of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark