** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I enjoy the demo. Love the feel of the game, more so than NHL 13, for sure. The shooting seems better and the goalies are more realistic.

Hitting will take a little getting used to, but I went from meh on this game to actively wanting it. Especially after I saw what they did to BAP mode. Hot damn, that looks like it'll be fun.

MountainGoat

best thing about the demo for me is the slapshot onetimers, they actually hit the net and are much more effective

can't wait to tryout eashl, hopefully it's more balanced

Green Blob*

I DESTROYED someone and injured them in open ice with Chara, and Toews came flying into to fight me, ONE PUNCH KNOCKOUT right at the start, Toews didnt even have a chance to throw one punch :laugh:

Oh man i'm loving this game so much.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yea, cause that kind of stuff never happens in NHL. :help:

FIFA is just an amazing game. In 2025 NHL might be on the same level as where FIFA is now.

I was looking forward to this response. I was just having a laugh.

Aside from budget and priority, it is possible that soccer is easier to program. I haven't thought about it in too much depth, but it's definitely a possibility. Frankly, I think that EA has made a really really great simulation of hockey here.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Maybe one of the only games i'll buy used.

I don't like EA. This game is much improved from 13, but honestly, it's still too similar to 13 for me to justify dropping 60 bucks for a game that I'll only play until the next gen comes out.

But I can't play NHL 13 anymore. It just feels awful.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Haven't had a chance to play the demo yet, how has it been in regards to the skating engine? Improvement or no?

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I was looking forward to this response. I was just having a laugh.

Aside from budget and priority, it is possible that soccer is easier to program. I haven't thought about it in too much depth, but it's definitely a possibility. Frankly, I think that EA has made a really really great simulation of hockey here.

I think this is a valid point. Players running and kicking a ball on grass is much different that players skating on ice pushing a rubber puck with a stick and hitting each other. Both are incredibly complex to program, but it just seems like there are far more variables in hockey.

Plus, the physics of skating on ice are less developed than engines used to simulate running in games. Since there have been thousands of game featuring humans running around but skating is contained pretty much exclusively to hockey, the physics are far less perfected at this point.

chrispar18

Apr 30, 2013
I don't get the fifa hype. I love soccer and playing fifa 13 is nothing like it. You just need a fast player and you can long ball all day, playing online is really annoying for that reason. Also I hate the momentum that just happens out of nowhere and the other team can create ten passes in a row and you can't create one. If they fixed that crap id understand but I don't get why people feel it's so much better than nhl. I guess I rate the games based on ai and there's less ai in hockey so the game plays better especially 6 v 6 Imo. I feel it gets a lot better every year is because of pes. If ea had a competitor they would feel like they need to do better, granted they have made good changes but that extra motivation would please everyone I feel.

Fenixx

Apr 27, 2012
Demo is decent, I am more excited to hear Biffy Clyro in the game than anything

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Anybody know if it is true that the simulation in NHL will be faster on the PS3? Or will it be slow as always?

I saw a tweet from rammer a while ago saying that they have improved sim speeds and menus. so take it for what its worth.

Haven't had a chance to play the demo yet, how has it been in regards to the skating engine? Improvement or no?

fantastic.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I enjoy the demo. Love the feel of the game, more so than NHL 13, for sure. The shooting seems better and the goalies are more realistic.

Hitting will take a little getting used to, but I went from meh on this game to actively wanting it. Especially after I saw what they did to BAP mode. Hot damn, that looks like it'll be fun.

I feel like I'm the only person who has gotten into the hitting right away. I feel much better about hitting in this than 13. Also, I find I get a lot of penalties for pokechecking.

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the demo too.

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Didn't know if anybody knew this but I was playing the game as the Goalie and the computers got into a fight , I never seen that before it was awesome. Lucic destroyed Carcillo , I was also able to skate all the way down the ice , doesn't stop me at the red line like 13.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Didn't know if anybody knew this but I was playing the game as the Goalie and the computers got into a fight , I never seen that before it was awesome. Lucic destroyed Carcillo , I was also able to skate all the way down the ice , doesn't stop me at the red line like 13.

That doesn't bode well for OTP. :laugh:

jonyro84

Aug 25, 2012
rancho cucamonga, ca
I know everyone knows/assumes this but official easportsnhl twitter confirmed fighting is turned up to showcase enforcer engine and will not be so when the game comes out.

FoSotC

Aug 16, 2010
I can't wait to try to fight Chara with Gerbe :laugh:
Unless they've added smaller height models in this installment, he'll probably be the minimum 5'7" in this game like all the others he's been in. Still amusing, but not as funny as it would be if he were his real height.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
Just bough Madden 13 used. Just an all around fun game. Just small things the make the game much more believable like showing the broadcast booth, having an NHL.com style layout with big headlines and tweets, and of course having most players' faces and gameface. Meanwhile, NHL has had the same SC celebration for 4 years and the same slow and ugly menu. EA really needs competition for their hockey games. Sure there are some cool, necessary features that they've included this year but in a couple months it'll feel stale again.

And are you really telling me that they couldn't have included the fighting last year? heck, it's practically the same engine that they had in NHL 04 but they're calling it a "new feature"? Same with the live goalies. They inexplicably took it out for NHL 13 and are now saying it's new.

/rant.

But hey, if you enjoy the game, buy it. :thumbu:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

Much improved. Those annoying little things (goofy spins, you know what I'm talking about) are still there but not NEARLY as bad. Your player will still do them sometimes, but they spin a lot faster so its less noticeable.

This game really is what NHL 13 should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad