NHL 13 Dynasty Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Anyone find that the sliders are really ****ed up? Playing every game on my Wild dynasty and Backstrom and Harding are AWFUL. .860svp letting in easy wrist shots from the points etc etc and no matter how I change the sliders they still can't stop a beachball. All the other stats are very realistic like shot counts etc but its getting really hard to keep playing when my goalies allow 4 goals on 25 shots consistently. And its not on grade A scoring chances either.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
It's strange - in one of my GMs the same thing pretty much happened to me; I was right up against the cap, had no money to play around with, so had to trade some high end talent that I had no interest in trading but needed too because of the cap.

Yet in other GMs I find it so easy to maintain and manage the cap.

I think ultimately it comes down to cap management, although I'm sure a ridiculous contract request from a player or 2 plays a part as well.

I know it's a bit obvious, but try and lock up your young players for long term contracts and try and ensure that they are not ever hitting free agency come their primes. Ie. you don't want player contracts to be up somewhere in their 26-28 year old ranges. If that means low-balling on 1 year deals after 1 year deals, do it. Or sign them for a really long deal, for money that appears to be too much at the time, but is more conducive to their player potential.

I find that by bypassing contract negotiations during those core years, you can sort of get away with not having to end up with some of those mammoth contracts on your hand that can make the mode almost unplayable.

Also - would be nice if you could just shut off salary cap half way through if/when things get difficult for you. Like you, all cap-related issues happened some 5 or 6 years into my dynasty - that's a hell of a long time to invest into a franchise and a game mode only for it to be ruined by silly player demands that can't be controlled or countered

Yeah low balling guys in earlier years seems to be key to managing your cap space. I've had guys that you could sign at 24 for say 7.5mil for 8 years. This seems like a lot at the time because they're 82-84 OVR, but next year when they jump up to 89 OVR and want 11-13mil it makes a world of difference that you got them signed the year before.

The problem is making educated guesses on who will actually make those jumps though. Most 4 to 4.5 star players seem to make huge jumps at 23-25, but you've always got some guys that just never pan out, so signing them could still be crippling.

I agree that 25-29 seem to be the most expensive years because after 30 they go back to asking for around 7-8mil. Basically if you can sign anyone you want in your top six(or three) forward group for under 7.5mil until they are 30+ do it whenever the option is available.

Last edited:

Number1SensFan

Jun 26, 2012
Okay two trades I'm struggling with here. Im in a GM Connected League with random rosters as the Ottawa Senators. First Trade:
Nyquist
Olesz
2014 1st Round pick
For:
Berglund
Okposo
Niskanen

2nd Trade:
Sharp
Nyquist
2015 1st
For:
Giroux
Omark
LA 2014 3rd

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Okay two trades I'm struggling with here. Im in a GM Connected League with random rosters as the Ottawa Senators. First Trade:
Nyquist
Olesz
2014 1st Round pick
For:
Berglund
Okposo
Niskanen

2nd Trade:
Sharp
Nyquist
2015 1st
For:
Giroux
Omark
LA 2014 3rd

General tips: Draft picks after the second round generally are not very good this year. (Mostly 3 Stars and below)

Giroux is a great player but his cap hit will be above 10mil as soon as his current deal is up. That is a lot to pay for a guy who's numbers will be similar to any other 1st line center.

Personally I see little stock in 1st round picks unless you know the team is going to suck. Basically anyone outside the top 10 is going to generally be 3.5 stars max. Scouting in this game is still pretty crappy, so I'd rather trade for a known quantity then a faceless prospect. 3.5 star players can still become decent 2nd line guys, but that's quite rare. If you can pick up a 3.5 star guy in the draft that is 18 or 19 and already in the 70's they get good pretty quickly.

I'd do the first trade if you are getting Okposo, Niskanen, and Bergland. If you're moving all of them for Nyquist just to trade him for an over priced center that is quite a bit to give up.

Last edited:

Number1SensFan

Jun 26, 2012
General tips: Draft picks after the second round generally are not very good this year. (Mostly 3 Stars and below)

Giroux is a great player but his cap hit will be above 10mil as soon as his current deal is up. That is a lot to pay for a guy who's numbers will be similar to any other 1st line center.

Personally I see little stock in 1st round picks unless you know the team is going to suck. Basically anyone outside the top 10 is going to generally be 3.5 stars max. Scouting in this game is still pretty crappy, so I'd rather trade for a known quantity then a faceless prospect. 3.5 star players can still become decent 2nd line guy, but the risk is a lot higher. If you can pick up a 3.5 star guy in the draft that is 18 or 19 and already in the 70's they get good pretty quickly.

I'd do the first trade if you are getting Okposo, Niskanen, and Bergland. If you're moving all of them for Nyquist just to trade him for an over priced center that is quite a bit to give up.

Okay, thanks. Yeah I might just try and trade Nyquist for a 1st or 2nd line center.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I turn off salary cap because the contracts are so out of wack, I also make the draft as realistic as possible with Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, Monahan ect near the top

EDIT. I give up on this game, so many issues, Just had a 60 day sim that I could not get out of because I kept getting the same trade offers, pressed Y about 600 times and still never stopped,

Last edited:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I turn off salary cap because the contracts are so out of wack, I also make the draft as realistic as possible with Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, Monahan ect near the top

EDIT. I give up on this game, so many issues, Just had a 60 day sim that I could not get out of because I kept getting the same trade offers, pressed Y about 600 times and still never stopped,

Turn off trade notifications. Or set them to star players only.

Press (don't hold) "Y" once. It stops. Pressing it repeatedly seems to extend the sim by the number of days you press it--or something to that effect.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia

I take it you created Jones & Drouin? Or is there a roster update I an unaware of? I can understand Jones not being in, but Drouin has already played a season with Halifax...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I take it you created Jones & Drouin? Or is there a roster update I an unaware of? I can understand Jones not being in, but Drouin has already played a season with Halifax...

I created Drouin, Lindholm, Jones, McDavid, Barzal, Virtanen, McKeown, Ho-Sang, de la Rose and basically every top prospect in the next 2 drafts. And to to the guy who said press Y one time I that also, and I simmed through the offseason and the sim wouldnt stop because I kept getting trade offers, your trade block resets every offseason. I like the game play but the GM Mode has way to many flaws for my liking, to each his own i guess.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
The lack of movement in the game gets frustrating as you move further along in GM mode offline.

Also, Dumba not progressing is annoying too. He's been top pair and everything in the AHL since he signed a contract and is still only a 64. He's 23:rant:

MatshasmagicMitts

Sep 15, 2012
Canada
Anyone find that the sliders are really ****ed up? Playing every game on my Wild dynasty and Backstrom and Harding are AWFUL. .860svp letting in easy wrist shots from the points etc etc and no matter how I change the sliders they still can't stop a beachball. All the other stats are very realistic like shot counts etc but its getting really hard to keep playing when my goalies allow 4 goals on 25 shots consistently. And its not on grade A scoring chances either.

i agree completely

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Another glitch I run into is with scouting. I'll usually start off scouting in the WHL, forwards to defense. When draft time came around I tried to view a players information and it said I'd never visited the WHL. I clearly had. a couple times.

Woody19

Oct 31, 2005
Duesseldorf, Germany
Started a Panthers dynasty yesterday, played the first 15 games and simmed the rest. Won the first play-off game versus the Leafs 4-2. My line-up looks like this:

Fleischmann - J.Staal - Eberle
Purcell - Eller - Versteeg
Bergenheim - Goc - O'Sullivan
Brunnström - Mathias - Skille

Kulikov - Quincey
Kuba - Ranger
Gudbransson - Ellerby

Theodore
Markström

For next season, I will try Markström as a starter and hopefully get decent replacements for Fleischmann and Kuba, who I don't like playing with. Also, I hope Huberdeau will crack the lineup and play LW on my third line. Then I will try and trade away Bergenheim for a speedy young RW for my third line. Finally, I will try to draft either MacKinnon or Lazar as I lack talent down at centre.

KuemperTantrum

Aug 11, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Started a new Beagm with my created team the Windsor Warriors. I took the whole TPS team from the SM-Liiga as my roster and replaced Columbus, also had the CPU manage the cap for me :handclap:.

Anyways, during the first year Florida put Ellerby on waivers and I claimed him and his progression has been unreal. He went from a 77 the first year to and 82 the next, and then the third year he jumped to an 87! I've had him on the top pairing this whole time, and last year he and Ryan Murray played together and Murray jumped up to an 85, not bad.

Never seen Ellerby progress this well and I'm impressed. I also had the first overall pick this year and got some sweet power forward from the Czech Republic named Radek Petruzalek. He's a 77 overall, 4 1/2 star gold prospect, 6'0" 219lbs. All of his shot stats are over 81, his speed and acceleration are both 82 and his body checking his 87! He's also only 18 so I should have a lot of good years developing him.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The lack of movement in the game gets frustrating as you move further along in GM mode offline.

Also, Dumba not progressing is annoying too. He's been top pair and everything in the AHL since he signed a contract and is still only a 64. He's 23:rant:

Try moving him around the lineup. I drafted a Swedish d-man 10th overall that was 4 star and a 63 overall when I stuck him in the AHL on the top pairing. After the first year he didn't grow at all. I looked at his stats and he was a -32 with only 6 points. I moved him down to the 2nd pairing and after the 2nd year he was a 73. Kreider grew faster for me on the 3rd line than he did on the 2nd line as well. Could have been a coincidence, but it's worth a shot.

Some of the player progression in the game is absurd. Baertschi is INSANE after 3 years. 89 and still growing. 90's in most of the offensive categories. 85+ in most skating. He's going to be good, but I think that's pushing it.

KuemperTantrum

Aug 11, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The NYR GM just put a 32 year old 89 overall Henrik Lundqvist on waivers.

And then a few days later the GM of Carolina puts Jordan Staal on waivers..

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Finally got the point where Be a GM is ruined for me. In the offseason after the 4th year and contracts are ridiculous. I have 75 million dollars invested in 31 players. After resigning all my NHL guys during the offseason I was left with one million dollars in cap space so I lost almost my entire AHL roster since I had no cap space left. The most ridiculous ones are Giroux at over 10 million and my 91 overall starting goalie at 7.7mil. I wish I could just turn salary cap off during a gm mode. I really don't want to start all over again.

I never seem to have this problem. While in previous years I would run into cap trouble in year 1 or 2, I haven't run into cap trouble through 15 years. You have to be smart, don't resign all your NHL guys, you'll end up resigning players you didn't really need for big deals.

I let any non-essential player (Usually 84 OVR or lower) go if they ask for more than 4.5 million a season. You can replace them with low 80s or high 70s players and they'll do the same job, but for much cheaper. I've actually had difficulty getting over the cap floor with a Stanley Cup winning (simmed) team.

anatsu

twitter: @finanatsu
May 31, 2010
Finland
How does Ryan Murphy develop in this game?

I play w/New Jersey and I simply don't have any good d-men prospects behind Larsson. I have thought about to trade Nyquist for him, 'cause I haven't been able to put any good numbers with him (I play my games).

So Murphy would be a good fit for me. He is kind of player I like and player whom I'm missing right now.

Carolina has Murphy on the block and they want Nyquist so Murphy + some picks would be the return.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I never seem to have this problem. While in previous years I would run into cap trouble in year 1 or 2, I haven't run into cap trouble through 15 years. You have to be smart, don't resign all your NHL guys, you'll end up resigning players you didn't really need for big deals.

I let any non-essential player (Usually 84 OVR or lower) go if they ask for more than 4.5 million a season. You can replace them with low 80s or high 70s players and they'll do the same job, but for much cheaper. I've actually had difficulty getting over the cap floor with a Stanley Cup winning (simmed) team.

I understand what they're going for with the contract system, i.e. trying to force you to make tough decisions with your players, but they've really failed miserably in some instances. I'm like you where I tend to manage my cap pretty well -- in that I'm $5-6M under each year -- but once or twice I simply had to wash my hands of a player. Gaborik wanted $10M per year for 6 years as a 32 year old after having a 26 goal, 60 point season. Even after sending multiple offers at him, his demands never came down. On July 1st, he signed for 7 years at $11M per year with Columbus. One year later, they put him on waivers. I just don't understand how the logic can be written that poorly. It's mind blowing.

Ultimately it was a blessing in disguise because I was able to trade for Bobby Ryan (sent Del Zotto the other way) and he's an absolute beast for me, but there are plenty of issues with this game, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad