NHL 12 Be A Pro Thread

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
*Sometimes I get stuck on the bench without an option to sim to my next shift... I have to sit there hoping for a stoppage in play.*Another bench issue is that sometimes the player coming off the ice just stands frozen next to the benches and I can't get on the ice. This is frustrating as well.
*So far I have been lucky; the game has only frozen once on a loading screen.
*There are times where the game gets very, very laggy for short periods.
*Camera issues, camera issues, camera issues... I'm not even going to bother going into detail.

I recently saw some weird bugs. Came off the bench but wasnt in control of my player, messed with settings until it went back. Also weird glitches involving PP clocks.

As for the bold, maybe this is a stupid question but do you know that if you hit "Y"(on Xbox) it will bring the window back up, then you can hit the button to sim again?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
if you're looking for messed up (not a glitch as such???) try this:

I started a goalie BAP today after not playing the game since November, skipping the year in the chl. I got drafted by the Canucks (meh), and after the preseason was sent down to the AHL. They preceeded to let me ride the pine ALL season long. Not a single start. I got 4 gp in relief (so i didnt actually get to play it...) behind Cory Schneider, who started 74 games (he missed some thru injury... so instead of promoting me they bumped some other guy up the depth chart). Needless to say i didn't hit my season expectations and got chewed out by the coach and gm.... then inexplicably they decided to make me the starter for the playoffs..... :amazed: I was pretty PO'ed with the whole deal so i threw the series and quit.

Madness.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
if you're looking for messed up (not a glitch as such???) try this:

I started a goalie BAP today after not playing the game since November, skipping the year in the chl. I got drafted by the Canucks (meh), and after the preseason was sent down to the AHL. They preceeded to let me ride the pine ALL season long. Not a single start. I got 4 gp in relief (so i didnt actually get to play it...) behind Cory Schneider, who started 74 games (he missed some thru injury... so instead of promoting me they bumped some other guy up the depth chart). Needless to say i didn't hit my season expectations and got chewed out by the coach and gm.... then inexplicably they decided to make me the starter for the playoffs..... :amazed: I was pretty PO'ed with the whole deal so i threw the series and quit.

Madness.

:laugh: that's pretty funny and plus it happened to me, i didn't start any games when i got sent down to the AHL, i thought it was a glitch

N9neLives33

Apr 2, 2012
London, Ontario
Name: Chad Whitford
Height: 5'11
Weight: 195lbs
Shoots: Left
Team: Toronto Maple Leafs (Previously on: Pittsburgh Penguins, Carolina Hurricanes, London Knights)
Position: Left Wing
Player Style: Sniper
Overall: 90

Stats
GP: 3
G: 7
A: 9
P: 16
PIMS: 6
+/-: +15
PPG: 1
SHG: 0
GWG: 1
GTG: 0
S: 55
Hits: 68
GV: 10
TK: 21

Those are my season stats so far. Here are my stats overall, in my many years of playing. :P Keep in mind, these stats are All-star difficulty.

REGULAR SEASONS --
NHL

GP: 413
G: 778
A: 614
P: 1392

OHL

GP: 68
G: 68
A: 67
P: 135

I'm too lazy to type out my playoff stats, but I average 3.30 points a game.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I don't have the game but I do have a Wii and NHL Slapshot. Are the 2 campaigns similar? Do you get to choose when you want to move on from the CHL or how does that work?

I'm thinking of buying a PS3 (as I still don't even have a Blu Ray player) and either buying this or waiting for NHL13.

N9neLives33

Apr 2, 2012
London, Ontario
I don't have the game but I do have a Wii and NHL Slapshot. Are the 2 campaigns similar? Do you get to choose when you want to move on from the CHL or how does that work?

I'm thinking of buying a PS3 (as I still don't even have a Blu Ray player) and either buying this or waiting for NHL13.

The CHL campaign is the full season, until the Entry Draft. You don't have a say in whether you get to move up or down the lines, it's all based on your game play.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
The CHL campaign is the full season, until the Entry Draft. You don't have a say in whether you get to move up or down the lines, it's all based on your game play.

Okay, that's just like in Slapshot.

Do teams ever send you back to junior after being drafted? I kind of wish they'd put you in for at least 2 seasons. I'm not sure if I should just wait until Fall when 13 comes out... it seems like they hardly make any improvements on previous games so Slapshot can probably hold me over until then.

N9neLives33

Apr 2, 2012
London, Ontario

Do teams ever send you back to junior after being drafted? I kind of wish they'd put you in for at least 2 seasons. I'm not sure if I should just wait until Fall when 13 comes out... it seems like they hardly make any improvements on previous games so Slapshot can probably hold me over until then.

No, they don't send you back to Junior. The closest to Junior that you can get after being drafted, is the AHL. You only get sent down there if you're not doing very well in the NHL level. Yeah, they didn't make many improvements. =P Still a good game. I'd prefer less lag, but that's just me. :)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I'm finally having success with goalie be a pro after some new slider adjustments I tried.

I'm playing for Moose Jaw Warriors, here are my stats
GP: 11 (1 in relief, which I obviously didn't play)
Wins: 5
GAA: 2.08
Save%: .917
Shutouts: 2
In 634 minutes played I've faced 265 shots.

The in game strategies I use:
Breakout: Standard
Defensive pressure: normal
Forecheck: 1-2-2 low
Defensive strategy: collapsing (this is very important, it makes it more difficult for the computer to do cross-crease one-timers, plus your defense will clear more rebounds for you)

The rules settings I use:
Difficulty: pro
Period length: 6 mins
Penalties: 4
Post whistle rules: Authentic (so when some ******* bumps you after the whistle your team gets a PP)
Penalty time scaling: 4 (default is 5)

For general gameplay settings I left everything as it was except putting injuries up by 1

AI settings:
CPU strategy adjustment: 6
Be a pro strategy adjustment: 6
CPU penalties: 6
CPU teammate penalties: 6

Shooting was the key part, you want to increase the accuracy so more shots actually go on target, but decrease the power for easier saves:
CPU shot accuracy: 6
CPU shot power: 0
CPU slap shot accuracy: 6
CPU slap shot power: 1
CPU one-timer accuracy: 0 (this is the key one, as anyone who has played goalie mode will tell you, the computer loves cross crease one-timers)

I adjusted checking for more realism because nobody ever hits on the default settings, and it makes your Dmen more useful:
CPU aggression: 4
CPU hitting power: 4

Finally goalie settings:
Human screen effect: 0
CPU screen effect: 4
Human reaction speed: 6
CPU reaction speed: 3

I played a few games on 7 minute periods and was getting 30 shots a game, but I found that my team would lead for most of the game then the AI always went try-hard in the last few minutes and scored BS goals, so I reduced it to 6 minutes so they would have less time to do that. With 6 minute periods I'm averaging more than 20 shots a game, and my team usually has an equal amount of shots on the other goalie, and don't have too much trouble scoring goals.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Is the goalie mode broken or am I just bad?

I can't keep up an .800 save percentage to save my life. No matter what I do, the defense allows cross creases (I tried increasing pass interceptions) short side goals, rebounds, among everything else and I can't do anything about it.

Riggsinator

May 6, 2009
I had a bug where the guy going off the ice to change with me got stuck at the bench door. I was sitting on the edge for like 2 minutes of game time before the goalie covered up the puck.

I can't keep up an .800 save percentage to save my life. No matter what I do, the defense allows cross creases (I tried increasing pass interceptions) short side goals, rebounds, among everything else and I can't do anything about it.

Someone made a "Maximize your experience" for goalie tuner set-up. Unfortunately I had it saved on my old lap top which I never transferred over. It was like play on All-Star, turn down the shot accuracy, pass speed, shot power. Turn down game speed.

I did this and ended up getting a decent GAA and sv%. But yes it's frustrating because CPU opponents just pass pass pass pass pass pass cross crease one timer. They aren't like your teammates that actually just shoot in volume.

Last edited:

Riggsinator

May 6, 2009
So angry with this game. I won the cup in my rookie year, but it didn't give me the boost slots and boosts for this accomplishment. Nor did it give me the unlock for completing one season. In my career tracker it says I played 80 games this season as I only simmed a few. So frustrating.

CrowClown

Oct 27, 2011
Oxford, England, U.K
updating on my last post, this is how my season is going I'm playing at all-star level with no changes to the sliders. Playing with overhead camera and I have played all but 2 games, I simulated those two games because I was tired and I wanted to get to the prospects game quickly. I'm a defender as you can see but sometimes I do get offensive when our team starts loosing by 2. After I finish this season I will play on superstar. It is almost ridiculous that my point shots go in 1/3 times when it isn't blocked by their defenders.

Name: Leif Sixten Forsstrom
height: 193cm
weight: 85.8kg
position: Defense (currently RD though I much prefer LD as you will see)
shoots: left
style: two way defender
Overall: 72
team: Kootenay Ice (assistant captain)
lines: defense pairing 1, PP 1, PP 1, 3 man PK, 2nd to shoot in SO

GP: 47
G: 60
A: 63
PTS: 123
+/-: 101
hits: 508

Kootenay ice stats

GP: 47
W:40
L:3
OTL: 0
SOL: 4

GF:223
GA: 113

PK: 17.95%
PP: 33.33%

I recently played in the prospects game as the red team. It was fun the crowd chants like a play-off crowd, I scored 3 goals in the game got 0 assists and a +/- of 2. Our team won 3-2 it was close.

Last edited:

Tipsu94

Apr 9, 2012
Lapinlahti
So i started Be a Pro as picking my team and i choosed Winnipeg Jets becouse i was bored of playing in team that i hate :)

Okay here are information about my player:

Name: Timo Kananen
Weight: 90.3 kg
Height: 186 cm
Shoot: Right
Style: Sniper
Position: Centre Attacker
Fights: Often
Overall: 70
Team: Winnipeg Jets

Sliders: My own (Passing & Tackling & Shooting assistants are off ect)
Playing as Professional
game:20 mins

Stats:
Gp: 48
G:38
A:15
+/- : 15

My overall is low becouse i get only 5 - 20 experience points per each.. I scored 5 goals and all was A+ but only 15 exp per each <3 I play all games and i don't simulate any games.. Do anyone have any ideas how i can fix this problem ?

JimmyStart*

Its broken beyond belief. My suggestion is sim and sim and sim down to the last 8 minutes or so and if you have not given up more than 2 goals play out the game but if you give up a single goal your grade is screwed so you have to

A) Sim down to about 8 mins left in the 3rd period.
B) Play only if you have given up 2 or less goals.
C) pitch a shutout the rest of the way
D) Collect experience so you can get better and hopefully get your boost slots for online play.

DO NOT play BAP G mode for fun. make sure you're very careful with saving after each successful game the autosave feature is likewise a backwards thing

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Goalie BAP is frustrating beyond belief.

Whether it's because your team can't score, or because you get BS goals against you, it's frustrating 95% of the time.

And yet, it's the only mode I play :laugh: It's the only thing challenging about the game. Being a defensemen on BAP I'll still put up 40 goals a season to go along with 60 assists and my team only loses 10 games a year. That's no fun.

I made the playoffs as the starting goalie ONCE on goalie BAP, and I got to game 6 and lost in double OT on a shot from the point that got deflected through my legs. That was fun, playoff hockey is the only thing I play goalie BAP for.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
So i started Be a Pro as picking my team and i choosed Winnipeg Jets becouse i was bored of playing in team that i hate :)

Okay here are information about my player:

Name: Timo Kananen
Weight: 90.3 kg
Height: 186 cm
Shoot: Right
Style: Sniper
Position: Centre Attacker
Fights: Often
Overall: 70
Team: Winnipeg Jets

Sliders: My own (Passing & Tackling & Shooting assistants are off ect)
Playing as Professional
game:20 mins

Stats:
Gp: 48
G:38
A:15
+/- : 15

My overall is low becouse i get only 5 - 20 experience points per each.. I scored 5 goals and all was A+ but only 15 exp per each <3 I play all games and i don't simulate any games.. Do anyone have any ideas how i can fix this problem ?

Your playing on Pro. Move to a harder difficulty.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

It depends on what you choose. If you choose 'NHL Entry Draft' you play the Memorial Cup, get drafted, and then you won't go back to the CHL. If you choose 'Start in CHL' you play a full season, get drafted, go through preseason, and then you can be sent down to the CHL or stick with the NHL club.

Scott Hall

The Bad Guy
Jul 11, 2008
So angry with this game. I won the cup in my rookie year, but it didn't give me the boost slots and boosts for this accomplishment. Nor did it give me the unlock for completing one season. In my career tracker it says I played 80 games this season as I only simmed a few. So frustrating.

It's a bug in the game where the season never ends. You could score 100 goals over 4 seasons and it'll still say you broke Gretzky's single season record.

If you're that desperate to unlock your stats, save 2 Be a Pro files. You'll have to tank one full season and let it finish off in the AHL - then the next season work your way back into the NHL and finish with at least 40 games min played in the NHL. It's worked for those on the EA sports forums.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Name: Dominik Roy
height: 2.06m
Weight: 54.5kg
position: Goalie
Handedness: Left
Style: Stand-Up
Overall: 72
Team: Philadelphia Flyers (Drafted 1st Overall from the Lethbridge Hurricanes)

CHL Memorial Cup Playoff Stats:
GP 4, W4, GAA 1.68, SV% .948

Currently in the pre-season, hoping to make the team.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
YZERMAN COMES OUT OF RETIREMENT; SIGNS WITH NASHVILLE

In a shocking move, Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman quit his job and signed a contract with the Nashville Predators. Yzerman, 46, said that he was in the best shape of his life and felt the urge to play again. Yzerman will be starting the season playing on a line with Andrei Kostitsyn and Alexander Radulov.

YZERMAN DOMINATING NHL AT AGE 46

After his 4 point performance in his first NHL game since 2006, Steve Yzerman has absolutely dominated the league. Through 27 games the veteran has posted 22 goals and 29 assists for 51 points, giving him a 12 point edge on his closest competitor, linemate Alexander Radulov. In his first game against his former Detroit Red Wings, Yzerman, after a first period struggle, scored one goal and two assists to give his team a 5-4 win. The Predators have jumped to a 20-4-3 record through the start of the season. More to come.

Also, I've only been playing one out of every 5 games. Yzerman's been dominating the simulations too.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So I picked up NHL 12 new online on the cheap and started a Be A Pro player at age 15, yet when I go to my player profile, my player's birth year is 1972? :amazed:

I've played two games so far, but I don't want to continue if I'm gonna get boned by the off-season. Is the wrong birth year something to worry about?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Best way to increase overall for RW sniper? Each year I went:

By adding all my XP at the end of the season.

Edit: After my fourth season I moved from 79 to 81. Also, do contract offers come in based on overall or stats? Because after my ELC was up, my last season was 56-36-92 and the best I could do was 1 year, 1.5M. After that year, I was 60-53-113 and the best I could do was 2 years, 2.6M. I ended up re-signing for a 5th season with the Bruins at 1 year, 2.3M.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad