NFL talk LVIII: Taking our Talents & Mitch to South Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Everyone assumes that Trubisky will be competent enough to keep them out of the top 12 in 2020. I don't, and I think he could be bad enough that they pick there anyway. The 2019 1st doesn't matter because they were using it on an edge rusher anyway.

NO ONE is assuming this.

You are are also misremembering that the Bears are getting a 2nd round pick back for 2020.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
You can't forecast injuries (White, he did not have injury issues in the past). I think Floyd and Smith are fine picks. Trubisky will be the one that defines Pace so far.

So he's like Jerry Angelo in a way. Draft athletic fast guys on defense and call it a day.... on offense both GM's have struggled.....

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
NO ONE is assuming this.

You are are also misremembering that the Bears are getting a 2nd round pick back for 2020.
Of course I knew that. The gap between the 2020 1st and the Raiders 2nd is where thr trade could go from decent to highway robbery. If that gap is 20 spots or less, then it is wonderful. I was good with it until I saw Mitch play 2-3 games. After that, I got a little more critical of it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So he's like Jerry Angelo in a way. Draft athletic fast guys on defense and call it a day.... on offense both GM's have struggled.....

You can't predict the injury to Kevin White. This is a fact.

Trubisky is in chapter 1 and you are acting like you read the book already.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think that Mack alone isn't enough to get them into the Playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. If they fail to at the very least make a SB appearance it's a loss in my book. JMO.

So then it follows you think the 2 1st round picks would have got them to the super bowl

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Whitehair and Miller are starters, Cohen gets starter reps, and Daniels will see significant time this year.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Imagine if the Bears didn't get Mack, the Defense was average like some of last year. Bears would probably be 0-3, the pressure would all be on Mitch. He's a bit a luck in that regard right now.

Actually Mitch has bigger pressure now that the team is in first place. Everyone who has watched the games know he's the weak link so it's added burden on him having to answer reporter questions every week on why he's garbage.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The Bears just picked up the most feared pass rusher in the NFL at the age of 27 for a 1st and basically a second round pick. There is not one person who says that was a bad trade for the Bears. End of story.

If you want to rip on Trubisky, that's fair game. However, obtaining Khalil Mack is a non starter. It made every sense from a football AND business perspective. Lord know how much money Mack is making the Bears right now.

When this is all said an done, Mack could become the 2nd - 4th most popular player in Bears history behind Walter Payton. If Mack projects to what everyone thinks he will be ... you're talking in the likes of Butkus and Ditka.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Bears D is on pace for a record season.

1st in all NFL with sacks, 14
1st in all NFL with forced fumbles created, 7
1st in all NFL with interceptions returned for TD, 2
Tied for 2nd in NFL team interceptions with 5

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
This Mack alone talk is ridiculous. The defense is good. Hicks is good. Goldman is good. Their 2nd tier guys like Robertson-Harris, Lynch have been good. Trevathan and Roquan been good. Corners solid. We have the best nickel corner in football. Eddie Jackson is a stud. Amos plays the run well.

Mack helps everyone, Mack alone doesn’t make this defense.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Everyone assumes that Trubisky will be competent enough to keep them out of the top 12 in 2020. I don't, and I think he could be bad enough that they pick there anyway. The 2019 1st doesn't matter because they were using it on an edge rusher anyway. When Mack was holding out, I was all for trading for him as long as it didn't cost 2 1st round picks. It cost 2 1st round picks. Don't get me wrong, it is still a decent trade, but that 2nd 1st is where it gets dicey.

:laugh:

The trade would have been a steal for the Bears if it were three 1st rounders.

Last edited:
Reactions: b1e9a8r5s and RayP

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So then it follows you think the 2 1st round picks would have got them to the super bowl
No. I don't think either would have if Mitch isn't good. It's all about the Quarterback. Nothing else matters. If you have a HOF QB with a crappy defense, you can still win 10-11 games annually and make the playoffs. You probably won't win anything, but you'll still get there. You can't say the same about having a great defense and a crappy QB. The Bears had that for a decade under Lovie and only made the playoffs 3 times.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This Mack alone talk is ridiculous. The defense is good. Hicks is good. Goldman is good. Their 2nd tier guys like Robertson-Harris, Lynch have been good. Trevathan and Roquan been good. Corners solid. We have the best nickel corner in football. Eddie Jackson is a stud. Amos plays the run well.

Mack helps everyone, Mack alone doesn’t make this defense.
That isn't what I meant. They had a good defense before Mack, but he's so good he takes a top 10 defense to a top 3 defense, if not the best in football. They solved the one weakness at that one position on defense they needed help with the best at that position. I completely understand why they traded for him. I completely understand the cost. What good does it do if the QB isn't good enough to win because of? The answer is nothing.

Repeat after me: Football is all about the QB. If you don't have one that is going to Canton, it takes the perfect storm to win a title once. If you have that guy, you probably will win multiple superbowls. You don't win more than one without a HOF QB. The Raiders and Giants were a fluke. Washington doesn't count because they did it with 3 different guys playing out of their mind for a season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Imagine if the Bears didn't get Mack, the Defense was average like some of last year. Bears would probably be 0-3, the pressure would all be on Mitch. He's a bit a luck in that regard right now.

Imagine if Bears had drafted Mahomes and then traded for Mack this offseason

God damn I cant shake feeling Bears pulled a 83 Chiefs and will regret selection of Mitch for long time

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

WR option for Bears?

Unhappy in Tennessee and has fallen off on depth chart. Could be good option for Bears and has been productive WR

Don't like how its ending in Tennessee and how he is handling it though

Still major upgrade over most of our WR options especially White

Last edited:
Reactions: TorMenT

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
That isn't what I meant. They had a good defense before Mack, but he's so good he takes a top 10 defense to a top 3 defense, if not the best in football. They solved the one weakness at that one position on defense they needed help with the best at that position. I completely understand why they traded for him. I completely understand the cost. What good does it do if the QB isn't good enough to win because of? The answer is nothing.

Repeat after me: Football is all about the QB. If you don't have one that is going to Canton, it takes the perfect storm to win a title once. If you have that guy, you probably will win multiple superbowls. You don't win more than one without a HOF QB. The Raiders and Giants were a fluke. Washington doesn't count because they did it with 3 different guys playing out of their mind for a season.
I for one look forward to Nick Foles hall of fame speech.

No one is arguing against the importance of a QB. But the idea that if you don't have a great one, no other move is worth making is utter BS.

It's a false dicotomy. The Bears didn't forgo trading two first round picks for a HOF level Qb so they could trade for Mack. That level QB isn't available via trade.

Reactions: RayP

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
This is no longer a throwaway.....develop the young qb at all costs season.

Mitch is in for a rude awakening if he struggles in front of the home crowd for a potential 3-1 record going into the bye week which is HUGE.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

No one is arguing against the importance of a QB. But the idea that if you don't have a great one, no other move is worth making is utter BS.

Plenty of teams have won without an elite QB but he always shrugs that off.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

It's a false dicotomy. The Bears didn't forgo trading two first round picks for a HOF level Qb so they could trade for Mack. That level QB isn't available via trade.
Signing free agents is fine. Trading 1st round picks isn't. If you don't have that guy, there is no non-QB player worth trading more than one 1st round pick for. End of story.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Imagine if Bears had drafted Mahomes and then traded for Mack this offseason

God damn I cant shake feeling Bears pulled a 83 Chiefs and will regret selection of Mitch for long time
Who knows?!?! How confident are you about Fox not ruining the confidence of Mahomes? Mahomes is in the perfect situation in KC.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So your saying Mitch is weak mentally?

Fox isn't making Mitch miss wide open WR's and fail to see most of the field

Mahomes is far more talented a QB and always has been and his mental game was never issue in NCAA nor has it been in NFL

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Someone please look up BWCs pre draft thoughts on Mahomes. I want to give proper credit to him for seeing what a stud he would be at the next level.

He said he wanted Mahomes or Watson if the Bears were drafting in the middle of the 1st. He also mentioned taking Mahomes in the 2nd round. He was not all over him like he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad