NFL/NCAA Coach Watch 2018/19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I take back the nice things I said about Zimmer and why he shouldn't be fired if this happens. Hue might be a better OC than a HC but he just once again failed miserably and showed why you don't want him around your team. Really need the Bengals to give him the HC job now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Among the many myths about Hue can someone explain to me when he was ever some amazing OC?

His play calling in that role has never been impressive but for some reason people hype him up as some offensive genius. He also has some defenders in media which is just absurd at this point when it comes to him as potential HC

Wilbon for instance yesterday on ESPN claimed he didn't get fair shake with Raiders or Browns and that his failings as HC were to blame on ownership/etc of those organization and that he would be deserving of being hired a HC

I assume Wilbon didn't watch the Browns post Jackson to see it wasn't ownership or organization holding back Browns

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
He didn't get a fair shake? He won 2 ****ing games in two years. He somehow also took a 1-15 team and made them worse. Wilbon is a talking head but my god that is just beyond ignorance. Along with also somehow causing more internal discourse with the Browns org.

IIRC a lot of Jackson's hype comes because he ran a pretty flashy offense in Cincy with so many damn gimmicks. Sanu being a QB, wildcat type ****. I always thought he was a bit overvalued.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

I take back the nice things I said about Zimmer and why he shouldn't be fired if this happens. Hue might be a better OC than a HC but he just once again failed miserably and showed why you don't want him around your team. Really need the Bengals to give him the HC job now.

He's also an untrustworthy snake. Probably why you shouldn't have him near your team.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Y'all also have to remember the agents of these coaches are out here working hard trying to hype up their clients.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it was obvious hue was a complete jack*** after his last game as raiders HC when they lost to SD and blew their playoff hopes

he didn't hesitate to throw his team and coaches under the bus and proceeded to hype himself up as some savior who could save the raiders if given a bigger role

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jimmy Sexton and there is a few others.

It was a few years ago I think, might've been when Andy Reid was looking at the Chargers and Chiefs, where it might've been a deadspin story about the guy who is everyone's agent and basically decides who among the majority of coaches goes where and nobody knows it. Don't remember if it was him. Probably was.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It was a few years ago I think, might've been when Andy Reid was looking at the Chargers and Chiefs, where it might've been a deadspin story about the guy who is everyone's agent and basically decides who among the majority of coaches goes where and nobody knows it. Don't remember if it was him. Probably was.
The Browns long had a problem where every new GM they brought in was only hiring coaches who were with the same agent as the new GM.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Among the many myths about Hue can someone explain to me when he was ever some amazing OC?

His play calling in that role has never been impressive but for some reason people hype him up as some offensive genius. He also has some defenders in media which is just absurd at this point when it comes to him as potential HC
No one thinks Dalton is any good, but the Bengals still had some good offensive seasons with Hue as the OC. The thought was he got more out of Dalton that many thought possible. Not saying I agree, just pointing out where this all came from.

That said, when out on his own as his own coach and OC, he was god awful for two seasons, had his OC duties stripped from him, and still battled with the new OC to the point where he had to be fired.

But as said, Hue is a snake.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
No official details worked out yet but looks like Troy's Neal Brown to West Virginia is a done deal.
Surprised it took that long for a P5 team to poach him, but it works out great for Brown as he gets to move closer to home. WVU shouldn't miss a beat with him, and I wouldn't be surprised if they reach the next level once Brown gets his guys in there. Troy always seemed to have a really physical team the last few years, and now he'll be able to get better skill guys for his offense.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Surprised it took that long for a P5 team to poach him, but it works out great for Brown as he gets to move closer to home. WVU shouldn't miss a beat with him, and I wouldn't be surprised if they reach the next level once Brown gets his guys in there. Troy always seemed to have a really physical team the last few years, and now he'll be able to get better skill guys for his offense.
From the sound of it last year it came down to him or Sumlin for the Zona job. Being from Kentucky his familiarity with the region should be a plus.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Browns long had a problem where every new GM they brought in was only hiring coaches who were with the same agent as the new GM.

this seems like NFL-wide problem. not necesserily hiring guys with the same agent but friends, instead of best guys for the job… and then loyalty for those friends and keeping them far too long.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This covers two threads:

Didn't see a head coaching gig for Kingsbury coming this quick. Nor did he since he took a job at USC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad