NFL/NCAA Coach Watch 2018/19

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
As usual a new football season brings on coaching hot seats...let the weekly reactions begin!

NFL

Hue Jackson-No explanation needed. Especially with his likely replacement (Todd Haley) on his staff.

Dirk Koetter-Bucs have been the "team ready to make the jump" but are underwhelming and underachieving.

Bill O'Brien-Texans need to take a big step forward. Even with Watson going off they were still just a .500 squad

Honorable mentions: Adam Gase, Marvin Lewis (won't ever be fired)

NCAA

Larry Fedora/UNC-After two double digit win seasons Fedora has struggled on the recruiting trail and on the field. Huge buyout but the seat is hot.

Kliff Kingsbury/TTech-Red Raider legend but his program has stagnated and he hasn't brought in the trench players to compete against the big boys.

David Beatty-Kansas-3 wins in 4 years just isn't going to cut it. Losing at home to FCS schools won't cut it either. No matter the program.

Honorable mentions-Lovie Smith, Scottie Montgomery.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I have no idea how Koetter survived last season. You go from 9-7 to like 5-11, with almost all of your marquee players minus Gerald McCoy taking a step back. That looks bad.

Your dip**** of a QB also took a massive step back. You're supposed to be an offensive guy. Fix it.

Safe to say he's probably gone before Jameis comes back from suspension?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Koetter makes it until December and if they are as bad as projected he's gone. Mike Smith will be interim. They get a jump on finding a replacement.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
This is what, year 9 of Marvin Lewis being on the hot seat?

Jim Harbaugh's seat has to be getting pretty warm by this point.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think Michigan will fire Harbaugh. I think it’s more likely he heads back to the NFL whenever that is.

They gotta strike this year though as a team as they’re going to likely be losing a lot of key players & looking at a transition year in 2019.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Keep an eye on Tom Herman. Texas fans are in complete panic, despite the fact the program has been pretty awful for the majority of the last 40 years or so.

Reactions: DaveG

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
If Rodgers stays healthy all year and the Packers cannot make a deep run in the playoffs, I think McCarthy's seat could get hot.

It sounds crazy considering his winning percentage and penchant for making the playoffs every year, but keep in mind he only signed a one year deal this offseason.

member 157595

This is what, year 9 of Marvin Lewis being on the hot seat?

Jim Harbaugh's seat has to be getting pretty warm by this point.

No chance will Mike "Players Should Pay For Their Own Helmets" Brown pay more than one coach at a time.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I have no idea how Koetter survived last season. You go from 9-7 to like 5-11, with almost all of your marquee players minus Gerald McCoy taking a step back. That looks bad.

Your dip**** of a QB also took a massive step back. You're supposed to be an offensive guy. Fix it.

Safe to say he's probably gone before Jameis comes back from suspension?

He survived because they launched Lovie and hyped him up

If they ditch him 2 years after anointing him as HC and next great thing they would have looked even worse

Just remember they hype around Koetter a few years back when Bucs were terrified they would lose him if they didn't elevate him to HC

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
John Harbaugh should also probably be on hot seat

Missed playoffs 4 of the last 5 years and another miss this year may be enough to jettison him. 2012 was great run for Ravens but he cant live off that run forever

Jay Gruden is someone who may also be on outs if the Skins don't make playoffs

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
1. Dirk Koetter (Buccaneers): +250
2. Hue Jackson (Browns): +350
3. Vance Joseph (Broncos): +650
4. Adam Gase (Dolphins): +750
5. Marvin Lewis (Bengals): +1600
5. Todd Bowles (Jets): +1600

The Bucs have a brutal schedule to start the season and could easily be 0-5 heading into the Browns game. I could see Koetter gone after the week 4 Bears game since they have a bye in week 5.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I don’t think Michigan will fire Harbaugh. I think it’s more likely he heads back to the NFL whenever that is.

They gotta strike this year though as a team as they’re going to likely be losing a lot of key players & looking at a transition year in 2019.

I dunno, patience was already wearing thin coming into this year, and they start the year with another loss in a big game. So much for striking this year. I would love to see them blow it against Western Michigan this week (and that's not a complete freebie) just to see the reaction.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
1. Dirk Koetter (Buccaneers): +250
2. Hue Jackson (Browns): +350
3. Vance Joseph (Broncos): +650
4. Adam Gase (Dolphins): +750
5. Marvin Lewis (Bengals): +1600
5. Todd Bowles (Jets): +1600

The Bucs have a brutal schedule to start the season and could easily be 0-5 heading into the Browns game. I could see Koetter gone after the week 4 Bears game since they have a bye in week 5.

I know people got down on Joseph last year but he didn't have anything resembling an NFL QB even putting all 3 crappy QB's together would not have created an above average NFL QB

Is he really going to get 2 years in Denver especially when he was considered a high rising coaching prospect?

Forgot about Bowles will be interesting one to watch since Jets are going to be bad no matter who plays at QB so if he is guy they are contemplating moving on from then its likely he needs a miracle to save his job

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I dunno, patience was already wearing thin coming into this year, and they start the year with another loss in a big game. So much for striking this year. I would love to see them blow it against Western Michigan this week (and that's not a complete freebie) just to see the reaction.

The patience is wearing thin with some media members & fans outside of Ann Arbor. He’s not going to be bad enough to justify a firing & the optics all around would look terrible for Michigan. They’re also paying him a shit ton of money & even though he’s overrated Michigan is still better off with him than without him.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon
Sep 19, 2008
Durkin was supposed to be on the hot seat and most assumed he would be fired after the McNair incident however

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
John Harbaugh is on the hot seat.

Should the Ravens miss the playoffs this year (and I think they will) that'll be 4 straight seasons out of the playoffs and 5/6 since they won it all.

You can only cling onto & ride a Super Bowl victory for so long.

I think O'Brien will be OK. Their only losses with Watson playing the full game were against NE, SEA and KC - all good teams. They were also missing Mercilus and Watt.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Mike McCarthy only has a job because of A-Rod. The fact Rodgers is so productive and efficient in one of the most limited passing games in the NFL is amazing. Put him in Shanahan or McVay's scheme and he breaks the league.

Harbaugh isn't coming back to the NFL. His offense is outdated and broken. He will be at Michigan for the time being and unless he turns the offense over to a modern playcaller, its going to be ugly.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Keep an eye on Tom Herman. Texas fans are in complete panic, despite the fact the program has been pretty awful for the majority of the last 40 years or so.

Texas fans are largely moronic. The team is still young and still turning over Charlie Strong recruits.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Koetter makes it until December and if they are as bad as projected he's gone. Mike Smith will be interim. They get a jump on finding a replacement.
I think he stuck in case it works. If it doesn't work, you're starting with new coach + new QB which is more ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad