OT: NFL 2018 Season

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
For all the hype Donald was getting going into that game, he was really quiet.

Stats-wise sure, but he got double teamed a ton. If you have to move through 600+ lbs every down, you’re probably not going to have a good day. Between Brady doing his usual thing (2 step drops and quick passes) and their blocking scheme, it wasn’t going to be a good day for AD.

What was more disappointing was the complete lack of usage of Gurley. Banged up or not, they didn’t try much with him, which is preposterous in a close game. He’s a great receiving RB and he was targeted what, once? I’d be pissed if I was him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
One thing that stuck out to me about yesterday’s game was the officials let the players play more than any other game I’ve seen in years. I don’t know what the final tally was in penalties but I noticed so many plays where I thought (based on what I’d seen called all year) there might have been late hit or pass interference calls. Another play where it looked like Goff was hit when he was already out of bounds. I thought it was called the same both ways so neither team had an advantage but it certainly favoured the defences.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Couple takeaways from this game

1) I never, ever, want to hear someone say that they want to watch a defense first game again. Last night had great defense and defensive tactics. And the game was a snooze fest. Offense is the best way to go pure and simple.

2) Brady is the goat, I am truely lucky to have grown up at the same time he was dominating. To me, hes the greatest athlete of all time across any sport of any generation. Gretzky is a close second, but Brady was able to do it across more years and with massive roster turn over

2B) With that being said, Tom Brady is likely to be HORRIBLE in upper management when he retires. Hes definitely a guy whos let the hype go to his head. He will be a terrible judgement maker because he will think he knows everything about everything. The best example for this is his quack "doctor" hes forced on the Pats, and his quack diet recommendations. Hes been on a big power trip the past 5 years as a player, I cant wait to see what happens when he has actual power. Great players rarley make good GMs

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

1) I never, ever, want to hear someone say that they want to watch a defense first game again. Last night had great defense and defensive tactics. And the game was a snooze fest. Offense is the best way to go pure and simple.

2) Brady is the goat, I am truely lucky to have grown up at the same time he was dominating. To me, hes the greatest athlete of all time across any sport of any generation. Gretzky is a close second, but Brady was able to do it across more years and with massive roster turn over

2B) With that being said, Tom Brady is likely to be HORRIBLE in upper management when he retires. Hes definitely a guy whos let the hype go to his head. He will be a terrible judgement maker because he will think he knows everything about everything. The best example for this is his quack "doctor" hes forced on the Pats, and his quack diet recommendations. Hes been on a big power trip the past 5 years as a player, I cant wait to see what happens when he has actual power. Great players rarley make good GMs

Say what you want about his doctor or his diet, but he's 41 years old and still playing at the highest level and winning championships. Must be something in HIS water.

As to him being the greatest athlete of all time? Not even close. Think Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders or someone of that ilk. Brady has never had the strongest arm. He can't run to save his life. In the truest sense he is not a great athlete. But does he have a superb football mind and vision? Incredible will to win and passion? Absolutely.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Say what you want about his doctor or his diet, but he's 41 years old and still playing at the highest level and winning championships. Must be something in HIS water.

As to him being the greatest athlete of all time? Not even close. Think Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders or someone of that ilk. Brady has never had the strongest arm. He can't run to save his life. In the truest sense he is not a great athlete. But does he have a superb football mind and vision? Incredible will to win and passion? Absolutely.
Clutch is probably the best term to describe Brady

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Some bodies are just able. Its like the person who lives to 105 but says the key to it was smoking and drinking every day. His doctor and diet have been proven conclusively by the medical community to be wrong. However, despite that, his body can still be in top shape

I was talking more about the whole package, not physically and athletically. Hes like Gretzky, athletically uninspiring, but great minds for the game. His accomplishments are second to none for me. Ever crazier that hes able to build a dynasty in todays game. In the 50s, 60s, 70s and even 90s it was easier due to less teams and less competition

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
But they both have good defences, which is very unOilerlike.

True. It did have that feel where Edelman was McDavid and everyone else was the rest of the Oilers though too.

I'd say the top 3 players through three quarters were Edelman and the two punters haha.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's insane how good Belichick actually is.

Just saw a tweet that said the Pats played 62% of their plays in man coverage during the season. The highest in the league. Last night they played 90% of their plays in zone.

No wonder Goff looked lost.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yawn. I can’t wait for this dynasty to finally end. Most boring dynasty ever.

I love the Pats, Brady, Edelman, Belicheck.

Excellence is like a fine wine to be savored. Doesn't come along so often and you miss it and you don't get the joy in it. The Patriots org are head and shoulders better and the results speak to that. Nor can I follow that the Pats wins have been boring. Some of the most dramatic and memorable wins ever in the Super Bowl. Until the Pats came around wasn't it being called the Super bore?

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Probability alone suggest any greatest athlete would come from Soccer, the world sport, and the billions that play that sport. Not from a sport played on one continent. If you think that the best athlete in your lifetime comes from Football it probably means you should follow soccer more.

Also, Steve Yzerman says hi!

Brady is pretty close to the same kind of perfectionist that Yzerman is. Both insufferable, but both right on the ball, knowing what it takes and having pretty good ideas on what winning is, incase theres any concern. ;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Some bodies are just able. Its like the person who lives to 105 but says the key to it was smoking and drinking every day. His doctor and diet have been proven conclusively by the medical community to be wrong. However, despite that, his body can still be in top shape

I was talking more about the whole package, not physically and athletically. Hes like Gretzky, athletically uninspiring, but great minds for the game. His accomplishments are second to none for me. Ever crazier that hes able to build a dynasty in todays game. In the 50s, 60s, 70s and even 90s it was easier due to less teams and less competition
17 years between his first and last championships where he played the same role on the team for all of them is truly amazing. Hard to wrap your head around, really. I can’t think of an accomplishment in team sports that even comes close.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Excellence is like a fine wine to be savored. Doesn't come along so often and you miss it and you don't get the joy in it. The Patriots org are head and shoulders better and the results speak to that. Nor can I follow that the Pats wins have been boring. Some of the most dramatic and memorable wins ever in the Super Bowl. Until the Pats came around wasn't it being called the Super bore?

I find it interesting that this time the Patriots won with old school power football and great defense in an era where passing offenses are putting up near historical numbers.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I thought you were talking athletically. But you wound up finally saying the same thing as me, and that is having a great mind for the game. As good as he is though, his coach is right up there in terms of having a genius mind for the game, and getting everyone to buy in. Completely outcoached McVay yesterday.

And Keith Richards diet and lifestyle have been known in the medical community to end one's life prematurely, but on he goes. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you, or I or the medical community thinks about Brady and his diets and exercise. It works for HIM, and that's all that matters.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Until yesterday, all of New Englands SB wins have been by 8 points or less. And some of the ones they have been in, win or lose, have been doozies. How anyone can call them a boring dynasty is a really weird comment.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
True. It did have that feel where Edelman was McDavid and everyone else was the rest of the Oilers though too.

I'd say the top 3 players through three quarters were Edelman and the two punters haha.
Brady is unto himself in comparisons, but I think Edelman will go down in NFL history as one of the most clutch players ever. Love the guy and the way he plays. Not big, but a waterbug that has incredible hand eye and is tough as nails, as well as being incredibly football intelligent.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Probability alone suggest any greatest athlete would come from Soccer, the world sport, and the billions that play that sport. Not from a sport played on one continent. If you think that the best athlete in your lifetime comes from Football it probably means you should follow soccer more.

Also, Steve Yzerman says hi!

Brady is pretty close to the same kind of perfectionist that Yzerman is. Both insufferable, but both right on the ball, knowing what it takes and having pretty good ideas on what winning is, incase theres any concern. ;)

Good call on the soccer comparison, but I'm going with basketball. Catch, run, jump, bounce, dribble. Probably use the most athletic motions of any sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad