NFL: NFC Playoff Picture

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Why on earth was Eagles-Cardinals flexed to SNF?

I'm so tired of the Eagles or the NFC East in general being in primetime so much. They're all ****in awful.

Looking ahead to Week 17, it looks like the NFC East will have their game flexed to Sunday night... (either WAS @ DAL or PHI @ NYG) :facepalm:

The NFC East truly is the greatest division in all of sports. The media loves them no matter how bad they are, and they have every national doubleheader game/primetime game (it seems like they do, anyway).

Could also be Vikings-Packers if that's for the division.

But NFC East will get precedent over that probably cause of the obsession with that **** division.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
So I just took a run at the playoff machine using my own predictions for each game and the Eagles wound up winning the East at 6-10 based on a common games tiebreaker over the Giants. :laugh: :facepalm:

1. Panthers (15-1) 2. Cardinals (13-3)

*3. Packers (11-5) vs. *6. Vikings (10-6)
*4. Eagles (6-10) vs. 5. Seahawks (11-5)

*In this scenario the Giants beat the Eagles in week 17 but PHI still wins the tiebreaker, which means Vikings-Packers is for the division and mostly likely the game flexed to SNF.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
So I just took a run at the playoff machine using my own predictions for each game and the Eagles wound up winning the East at 6-10 based on a common games tiebreaker over the Giants. :laugh: :facepalm:

1. Panthers (15-1) 2. Cardinals (13-3)

*3. Packers (11-5) vs. *6. Vikings (10-6)
*4. Eagles (6-10) vs. 5. Seahawks (11-5)

*In this scenario the Giants beat the Eagles in week 17 but PHI still wins the tiebreaker, which means Vikings-Packers is for the division and mostly likely the game flexed to SNF.

I'd love to see the NFC East winner get in at 6-10 and play Seattle.

Edit: Notice how this thread has 108 more posts than the AFC thread at the moment. It's definitely the NFC East.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Philadelphia still can't lose control of their own destiny this week. If they win their last two games (both divisional games), they win the NFC East.

AFTER WEEK 14: (x-clinched playoff spot, y-clinched division, z-clinched first round bye, Z-clinched first round bye)

1. z-CAR 13-0
2. x-ARI 11-2
3. GB 9-4
4. WSH 6-7 (wins multi-team H2H record tiebreaker vs NYG and PHI)
5. SEA 8-5 (wins H2H tiebreaker vs MIN)
6. MIN 8-5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. TB 6-7 (Wins divisional tiebreak via H2H tiebreaker vs ATL, wins H2H tiebreaker vs PHI. NYG was eliminated by PHI in intra-divisional tiebreak via H2H)
8. ATL 6-7 (Wins H2H tiebreaker vs PHI)
9. PHI* 6-7 (Wins H2H tiebreaker vs NYG)
10. NYG 6-7
11. STL 5-8 (Wins conference record tiebreaker vs NO and CHI)
12. NO 5-8 (Wins conference record tiebreaker vs CHI
13. CHI 5-8
16. DAL 4-9

ELIMINATED: 14. DET, 15. SF

CLINCHING SCENARIOS:
- CAR clinches home field advantage with a win and a CAR loss

- ARI clinches division with a win, a SEA loss, or ALL of the following: DAL loss, PIT loss, CIN win, and NO win (The last condition would clinch strength of victory for Arizona over Seattle)

- GB clinches a playoff spot with either a win or a TB loss AND a NYG or WSH loss (A NYG or WSH loss guarantees that the NFC East runner up finishes no better than 8-8, as both teams still have to play Philly. Atlanta does not win tiebreakers against GB at 8-8.)

- MIN clinches a playoff spot with a win, a TB loss, and either a NYG or WSH loss

ELIMINATION SCENARIOS

- DAL is eliminated with either a loss OR two of PHI, WSH, and NYG winning. (This guarantees that one of those teams will get to 8 wins)

- CHI is eliminated with a loss or a MIN win (cannot win tiebreakers against SEA)

- NO is eliminated with either a loss OR SEA+MIN win

- STL is eliminated with either a loss or SEA+MIN win

- ATL is eliminated with a loss and a MIN win

- TB is eliminated with a loss, SEA win, and MIN win

TEAMS THAT CAN LOSE CONTROL OF OWN DESTINY IN WEEK 15:

- WSH with a loss and a NYG win

TEAMS THAT CAN GAIN CONTROL OF OWN DESTINY IN WEEK 15:

- NYG with a win and a WSH loss

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Seems pretty cut and dry outside of the NFC East. I would be very surprised if the positioning doesn't remain the same at the end of the season:

1. Panthers
2. Cardinals
3. Packers
4. NFC East
5. Seahawks
6. Vikings

I just feel that Minnesota and Seattle are headed in too different of directions for Seattle to not get that 1st wildcard spot.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Philadelphia still can't lose control of their own destiny this week. If they win their last two games (both divisional games), they win the NFC East.

AFTER WEEK 14: (x-clinched playoff spot, y-clinched division, z-clinched first round bye, Z-clinched first round bye)

1. z-CAR 13-0
2. x-ARI 11-2
3. GB 9-4
4. WSH 6-7 (wins multi-team H2H record tiebreaker vs NYG and PHI)
5. SEA 8-5 (wins H2H tiebreaker vs MIN)
6. MIN 8-5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. TB 6-7 (Wins divisional tiebreak via H2H tiebreaker vs ATL, wins H2H tiebreaker vs PHI. NYG was eliminated by PHI in intra-divisional tiebreak via H2H)
8. ATL 6-7 (Wins H2H tiebreaker vs PHI)
9. PHI* 6-7 (Wins H2H tiebreaker vs NYG)
10. NYG 6-7
11. STL 5-8 (Wins conference record tiebreaker vs NO and CHI)
12. NO 5-8 (Wins conference record tiebreaker vs CHI
13. CHI 5-8
16. DAL 4-9

ELIMINATED: 14. DET, 15. SF

CLINCHING SCENARIOS:
- CAR clinches home field advantage with a win and a CAR loss

- ARI clinches division with a win, a SEA loss, or ALL of the following: DAL loss, PIT loss, CIN win, and NO win (The last condition would clinch strength of victory for Arizona over Seattle)

- GB clinches a playoff spot with either a win or a TB loss AND a NYG or WSH loss (A NYG or WSH loss guarantees that the NFC East runner up finishes no better than 8-8, as both teams still have to play Philly. Atlanta does not win tiebreakers against GB at 8-8.)

- MIN clinches a playoff spot with a win, a TB loss, and either a NYG or WSH loss

ELIMINATION SCENARIOS

- DAL is eliminated with either a loss OR two of PHI, WSH, and NYG winning. (This guarantees that one of those teams will get to 8 wins)

- CHI is eliminated with a loss or a MIN win (cannot win tiebreakers against SEA)

- NO is eliminated with either a loss OR SEA+MIN win

- STL is eliminated with either a loss or SEA+MIN win

- ATL is eliminated with a loss and a MIN win

- TB is eliminated with a loss, SEA win, and MIN win

TEAMS THAT CAN LOSE CONTROL OF OWN DESTINY IN WEEK 15:

- WSH with a loss and a NYG win

TEAMS THAT CAN GAIN CONTROL OF OWN DESTINY IN WEEK 15:

- NYG with a win and a WSH loss

I think you mean Washington controls their destiny, they in fact hold the tiebreakers if they win

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I think you mean Washington controls their destiny, they in fact hold the tiebreakers if they win

Both Washington and Philly control their own destiny right now. I didn't mention WSH because it's taken for granted teams in a playoff spot control their own destiny unless otherwise noted.

The difference is if the Redskins lose this week and the Giants win, WSH doesn't play them again to give them an 8th loss, whereas Philly even with a loss this week still plays both WSH and NYG and would win tiebreakers if they win their last two games no matter what happens this week. Hence WSH can lose control of their own destiny this week and PHI can not.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Redskins > Seattle
Packers > Vikings

Panthers > Packers
Cards > Skins

Panthers > Cards

assuming the skins get in and everyone stays the same place, the skins would lose to carolina not cardinals if they somehow beat the seahawks

as packers would be 3 seed playing 2 seed cardinals leaving 1 seed panthers vs 4 seed skins

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Official scenarios:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000602419/article/2015-nfl-playoff-scenarios-for-week-15

NFC

CLINCHED: Carolina -- NFC South and a first-round bye

Arizona -- playoff berth

CAROLINA PANTHERS (at New York Giants, Sunday)

Carolina clinches home-field advantage throughout NFC playoffs with:

1) CAR win + ARI loss or tie OR

2) CAR tie + ARI loss

ARIZONA CARDINALS (at Philadelphia, Sunday night)

Arizona clinches NFC West division with:

1) ARI win or tie OR

2) SEA loss or tie OR

3) ARI clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over SEA

Every game, all season

(Note: ARI clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over SEA in scenario 3 if all of the following occurs: CIN win, NO win, DAL loss, PIT loss)

Arizona clinches a first-round bye with:

1) ARI win + GB loss or tie OR

2) ARI tie + GB loss

GREEN BAY PACKERS (at Oakland, Sunday)

Green Bay clinches a playoff spot with:

1) GB win or tie OR

2) TB loss or tie + WAS loss or tie OR

3) TB loss or tie + NYG loss or tie

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (vs. Cleveland, Sunday)

Seattle clinches a playoff spot with:

1) SEA win + TB loss or tie + NYG loss or tie OR

2) SEA win + TB loss or tie + WAS loss or tie OR

3) SEA win + TB loss or tie + ATL loss or tie + MIN loss + GB win or tie OR

4) SEA tie + TB loss + ATL loss or tie + NYG loss OR

5) SEA tie + TB loss + ATL loss or tie + WAS loss + PHI loss or tie

MINNESOTA VIKINGS (vs. Chicago, Sunday)

Minnesota clinches a playoff spot with:

1) MIN win + TB loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + ATL loss or tie OR

2) MIN win + TB loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + SEA loss or tie OR

3) MIN win + TB loss or tie + NYG loss or tie + ATL loss or tie OR

4) MIN win + TB loss or tie + NYG loss or tie + SEA loss or tie OR

5) MIN tie + TB loss + ATL loss or tie + PHI loss or tie + WAS loss OR

6) MIN tie + TB loss + ATL loss or tie + PHI loss or tie + NYG loss OR

7) MIN tie + TB loss + ATL loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + NYG loss or tie (as long as WAS and NYG both don't tie)

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Man, this is a game I want to see though!

Until I remember that Fred Jackson is our starting RB. Makes it that much trickier to advance against the CAR defense.

Yeah but there's a sizeable chance they'd be down their number 2 and 3 CBs, and during the first matchup, Lockett hadn't yet gotten involved in the passing game, though I guess they did have Graham. It'd be a different game for sure.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So...can anyone figure out why SEA losing today matters to the Vikes clinching scenario? Both teams are in the WC spots already...

Edit: I think I figured it out. It's some complicated huge tie scenario where ATL-NYG-WSH-MIN-SEA would all be 9-7. Skins win division, Giants get 5th seed, the Falcons would be 6th due to SOV over SEA and MIN. But if SEA loses today and loses its last 2, then MIN gets in over ATL due to head-to-head win in this scenario.

2nd edit: A 3-way 9-7 ATL-MIN-SEA tie for the last 2 WCs would also knock out MIN, IF SEA won today but lost its final 2.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad