NFL: NFC Playoff Picture

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Denver/San Diego might be an option to flex too since depending on what happens, that might be a win or go home game for the Broncos. Good enough for primetime because Denver's QB situation assures it at least isn't a blowout.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Denver/San Diego might be an option to flex too since depending on what happens, that might be a win or go home game for the Broncos. Good enough for primetime because Denver's QB situation assures it at least isn't a blowout.

I doubt they do that one, it's tied to so many other games for basically everything, DEN could be battling with NE and CIN/PIT for 1st-3rd, battling with KC for the division, if they lose that then battling with PIT/CIN, NYJ for the WC spots. I'd imagine they want all of those games at the same time.

I'd expect it to be MIN/GB unless GB wins the division this week. That's tied to SEA for the 5th/6th positioning but that's not a big deal so they'll probably play Seattle earlier and have that game at night.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I think GB-MIN for the North is almost guaranteed to be the SNF game, unless GB wins and MIN loses this week.

Eagles are maxed out on prime time games apparently. (which is truly baffling that they even had so many to begin with)

which means if eagles win saturday then redskins/dallas will be sunday night

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought there was only a maximum (five) for the initial schedule, and flex games don't count towards the maximum? Maybe I'm wrong?

Flex games still count, but there's supposed to be no restrictions for Week 17.

But the Eagles lost. So that's out.

If the Giants win tonight, that closes out the division for the Packers.

If the Panthers, Seahawks, Packers, and Giants all win today, that closes out everything in the NFC. You'd go into Week 17 with every seed locked in. They'd either go to the AFC, or you get Carolina/Tampa Bay flexed in to see if Carolina can get to 16-0.

I'm sure it won't be that easy though.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Sounds like it is coming down to those two games

Would expect the Panthers to only play their guys for a half to maybe another drive or two (unless they're trailing already, then maybe more) if they wrap up homefield, regardless of when that game is played.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Flex games still count, but there's supposed to be no restrictions for Week 17.

But the Eagles lost. So that's out.

If the Giants win tonight, that closes out the division for the Packers.

If the Panthers, Seahawks, Packers, and Giants all win today, that closes out everything in the NFC. You'd go into Week 17 with every seed locked in. They'd either go to the AFC, or you get Carolina/Tampa Bay flexed in to see if Carolina can get to 16-0.

I'm sure it won't be that easy though.

Are you sure on green bay/Vikings cause if green bay and vikings both lose playoff machine has vikings winning division with win over packers next week

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Are you sure on green bay/Vikings cause if green bay and vikings both lose playoff machine has vikings winning division with win over packers next week

I should have copied the link because I had it the way I laid out had it that way.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If Arizona beats green bay today, the nfc north will be the Sunday night game. No matter what happens with Vikings tonight, if green bay loses the nfc north is won next week

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
So, assuming the Seahawks lose to the Cards (I know this is not close to a given at all but the result of this game will be be known before the SNF game) the winner of the Packers-Vikings game will play the Seahawks and the loser gets the Redskins?

I don't think either the Vikings or Packers would be too disappointed if they lose and don't get to play the Seahawks in the wild card round.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So, assuming the Seahawks lose to the Cards (I know this is not close to a given at all but the result of this game will be be known before the SNF game) the winner of the Packers-Vikings game will play the Seahawks and the loser gets the Redskins?

I don't think either the Vikings or Packers would be too disappointed if they lose and don't get to play the Seahawks in the wild card round.

That is correct. But if seattle beats Arizona and packers beat vikings then its skins and seahawks. If seattle wins and vikings beat packers then its skins and packers. One of the two will most likely face seattle

But lets not forget, the skins are close to dominant at home and they riding high with 3 straight including 2 on road.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Green Bay should have been swept by the Lions this year. That tells you all you need to know.

I classify the NFC in two groups:

Group A: Carolina, Arizona, Seattle

Group B: Green Bay, Washington, Minnesota

The teams in Group A are, realistically, the only teams I can see winning that conference. Seattle may be a stretch with injuries and long playoff runs the past few years. But I can see them reaching the NFC title game at the very least.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
NFC Playoff seeding made easy:

EJEHltF.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
something tells me that the AFC one won't be that easy. If Cincinnati wins tonight there will be 9 games that impact the AFC including 1 NFC game :laugh:

That'd be if Denver wins. If Cincinnati wins, it's over for the Colts.

Tampa Bay/Carolina flexed into the 4pm slot for Week 17.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
What the hell happened to Green Bay? Losing Nelson hurt, but they have looked terrible and lost at times this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad