Next Seasons Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
hockeynut11 said:
Although if Crosby is put on a good team, he may be contending for it too. QUOTE]
Actually ,that would probably be the worse case scenario for him.If he gets
drafted by one of the emerging teams like Columbus they are going to put him on the first line but an established team may not want to rock the boat with their
other superstars .An established team might already be sold out as well and
so there wouldn't be the situation where they would play him to sell seats.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
pei fan said:
hockeynut11 said:
Although if Crosby is put on a good team, he may be contending for it too.
Actually ,that would probably be the worse case scenario for him.If he gets
drafted by one of the emerging teams like Columbus they are going to put him on the first line but an established team may not want to rock the boat with their
other superstars .An established team might already be sold out as well and
so there wouldn't be the situation where they would play him to sell seats.
Why would they try to ride out a guy who has never played against men? :dunno: What if he can't handle the load?

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
mattihp said:
Why would they try to ride out a guy who has never played against men? :dunno: What if he can't handle the load?
Because all indications are that he is ready.Some of his skills would be the best
in the league.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
pei fan said:
Because all indications are that he is ready.Some of his skills would be the best
in the league.
Now that is just silly.

Also. What are the guarantees that he has a possibility to even get drafted before the league starts up?

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
This is definately the most stacked ROOKIE Class of all time in the NHL with two seasons worth of draftees and AHL hold overs about to enter the game and with the "New NHL" more younger kids with offensive talent will get a shot at cracking the big squads, im sure. here's my top 10

Sidney Crosby - more electrifying player all-around in this rookie class, despite being 17 years old... should get alot of consideration due to his status in the media. top 3 for sure IMO

Alexander Ovechkin Awesome power forward with excellent hands and scoring abilities.. May be more NHL ready than Crosby right now but also may suffer from being checked and thrown off his game. AO and Crosby may get less points because of the large targets that will be put on their backs.

Nicklas Kronwall might be the most NHL ready rookie out there. Poised on the blueline and blends a high end offensive game with a steady defensive arsenal.. Is a hit or miss in my opinion because he's a D. Most likely will have to do something spectacular early to catch people's eye.

E. (don;t wanna try to spell his name) Malkin Might come over and light this league up offensively, especially if playing with the right mix of talent. HOWEVER I have the prediction that he may end up being taken over physically and might take a year or two to adjust.

Jeff Carter Led the AHL playoffs in scoring. I think he could be squeezed in in Philly as a 1st or second line centre. He's got all the tools and seems to have the desire as he displayed the last two years in the OHL playoffs. Maybe one of the most overlooked players for the calder next year.
Kari Lehtonen Goalie.. you never know.. BUT based on his play this year he could pull a Raycroft esque performance.

Alexander Steen My biggest darkhorse pick... this guy can play and he also goes under the radar. I think Leafs fans are in for a pleasant surprise if/when he comes over to play. NHL ready IMO
Thomas Vanek - Numbers in the AHL speak for themself. he'll have to step it up bigtime and not get complacent to equal those numbers in the NHL however. good luck to him.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
saillias said:
4.) Phaneuf (will join a Calgary blueline that needs him, He will see alot of playing time along with youngsters Leopold, Regehr, ference and Commodore)

:( God help us if he even makes the roster.[/QUOTE]

They'll trade D - man to make room for him and add some low price pop up front

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
Birko19 said:
Here's what I think:

- Sidney Crosby: I don't think he'll crack the top 3 (Just a gut feeling), but will probably do good in terms of offensive production, somewhere around 40 points, but I guess we'll have to see the team he's on before we can say that.

- Alexander Ovechkin: I like his chances out of the forwards because being on a poor team like Washington sure gives him the advantage with the ice-time, specially if he's put on the same line with Semin, I think Ovechkin will do a 50+ point season and lead all rookies in points.

- Niklas Kronwall: Nik has a big chance in winning it, simply because he's gotten much better and not to mention he'll have a big role on Detroit's blue-line this year, he'll most likely be playing with Lidstrom so that should help his chances, plus he should get plenty of ice-time on the PP so this should help his point totals, he has impressed everywhere he played for the past year so he should be a good candidate, if everything goes well for him I expect him to score anywhere from 25-35 points and lead all rookie defenders in points.

- Kari Lehtonen: He's another good pick for the Calder, I think Atlanta will ride him this season and see how well he'll do, I personally think he'll impress and do well, but to be safe I think they should sign a veteran goalie and let them split the season just to see how Kari does, I think he'll be more then fine and will pull off a similar season to Andrew Raycroft last year, on the other hand Atlanta has a poor defense and their forwards are'nt exactly Selke material, so everything I said could turn into the opposite, we'll have to wait and see I guess but if Kari wins the Calder, say hello to the new Roy or Brodeur.

- Dion Phaneuf: Another good choice, assuming Dion gets at least a top 4 job in Calgary and some time on the PP, he should do quite well, his style is all about NHL and I think he's ready for the big show, Dion will probably score somewhere around 15-20 points but will provide the overall performance that will help his chances, pretty much a similar performance to the 2003 Calder winner Barret Jackman.

- Jeff Carter: I think Jeff is the most ready out of all the forwards, however being on a loaded team like Philly will probably hurt his chances due to the small amount of ice-time, unless Philly plays him on the top 2 lines and some PP time I just can't see him passing a player like Ovechkin, but he should be good for a 40+ point season, he has all the tools and should do well regardless.

- Thomas Vanek: Explosive player indeed, but I think he'll have a slow start then explode in the end of the season, kind of like what Tuomo Ruutu pulled off last season, I don't think he'll crack the top 3 but I do think he'll go on fire the second half and reach the 40 point corner.

- Evgeny Malkin: I think he's a great pick, with a young team like the Pens Malkin should get plenty of ice-time, and this kid has the talent so he should do very well, he has impressed me everywhere and he's definitely a youngster to watch, I say he'll crach 45+ points and challange Mr.Ovechkin for the top scorer for rookies.

Wow who are you? :teach: Great analysis. I like all your picks, but I would have to unbiasly throw in Zach Parise. He had a great development year in Albany and will be on a team with very gifted forwards that he can pass to. My prediction: a very similiar rookie year to Scott Gomez: 15-20 goals, 50 assists. Yet, his ice time might be limited, but that could change with the new CBA.

My top three predictions:
Crosby (if he lands on a good team, watch out, he could run away with it)
Carter (with Amonte and Leclair gone w/buyouts, should have plenty of ice time)
Parise (Lou will have a good team, and my bet he'll see extra time on the PP)

My outside guys:
Ovechkin and Malkin (the former is playing in Russia, the latter may end up there)
Kronwall (will be on a very bad post CBA team; plus/minus will be low or negative)
Lehtonen (very rare for a goalie; I'd say it depends on the team in front of him)
Phaneuf (in an new "offensive-minded" NHL, don't expect a defenseman to get it)
Vanek (I agree with your assessment, he'll be good, but not consistent)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Koivu I think will surprise some people. His talent isn't on the scoreboard but as a premier shutdown center. In Lemaire's system he'll thrive.

FlyersFan10*

I think it's going to be someone nobody expects to win. It's too easy to say Crosby or Carter or Ovechkin or Malkin or Lehtonen or whoever. I really think it's going to be someone nobody expects to win it. I'm going to say that it wouldn't surprise me if it were either Brad Boyes in Boston or Alex Perezhogin in Montreal. I'm not expecting the big five to make a run simply because they are going to be checked ferociously by other teams in the league.

FlyersFan10*

ktownhockey said:
This is definately the most stacked ROOKIE Class of all time in the NHL with two seasons worth of draftees and AHL hold overs about to enter the game and with the "New NHL" more younger kids with offensive talent will get a shot at cracking the big squads, im sure. here's my top 10

Sidney Crosby - more electrifying player all-around in this rookie class, despite being 17 years old... should get alot of consideration due to his status in the media. top 3 for sure IMO

Alexander Ovechkin Awesome power forward with excellent hands and scoring abilities.. May be more NHL ready than Crosby right now but also may suffer from being checked and thrown off his game. AO and Crosby may get less points because of the large targets that will be put on their backs.

Nicklas Kronwall might be the most NHL ready rookie out there. Poised on the blueline and blends a high end offensive game with a steady defensive arsenal.. Is a hit or miss in my opinion because he's a D. Most likely will have to do something spectacular early to catch people's eye.

Evgeni Malkin Might come over and light this league up offensively, especially if playing with the right mix of talent. HOWEVER I have the prediction that he may end up being taken over physically and might take a year or two to adjust.

Jeff Carter Led the AHL playoffs in scoring. I think he could be squeezed in in Philly as a 1st or second line centre. He's got all the tools and seems to have the desire as he displayed the last two years in the OHL playoffs. Maybe one of the most overlooked players for the calder next year.

Kari Lehtonen Goalie.. you never know.. BUT based on his play this year he could pull a Raycroft esque performance.

Alexander Steen My biggest darkhorse pick... this guy can play and he also goes under the radar. I think Leafs fans are in for a pleasant surprise if/when he comes over to play. NHL ready IMO

Thomas Vanek - Numbers in the AHL speak for themself. he'll have to step it up bigtime and not get complacent to equal those numbers in the NHL however. good luck to him.

I really think Vanek is going to shine in the league. He's got good size, good hands, sees the ice really well and will probably play on the top line if the Sabres decide to send Satan packing. And if you read on the Sabres board, there have been a few fans saying that they want to see Satan walk. If Vanek gets the top RW spot in Buffalo, then there's no reason he can't get 70 to 75 points there.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
DevilsFan said:
Wow who are you? :teach: Great analysis. I like all your picks, but I would have to unbiasly throw in Zach Parise. He had a great development year in Albany and will be on a team with very gifted forwards that he can pass to. My prediction: a very similiar rookie year to Scott Gomez: 15-20 goals, 50 assists. Yet, his ice time might be limited, but that could change with the new CBA.

My top three predictions:
Crosby (if he lands on a good team, watch out, he could run away with it)
Carter (with Amonte and Leclair gone w/buyouts, should have plenty of ice time)
Parise (Lou will have a good team, and my bet he'll see extra time on the PP)

My outside guys:
Ovechkin and Malkin (the former is playing in Russia, the latter may end up there)
Kronwall (will be on a very bad post CBA team; plus/minus will be low or negative)
Lehtonen (very rare for a goalie; I'd say it depends on the team in front of him)
Phaneuf (in an new "offensive-minded" NHL, don't expect a defenseman to get it)
Vanek (I agree with your assessment, he'll be good, but not consistent)

Crosby, Carter and Parise over Ovechkin, Malkin and Lehtonen? If this was Vegas, I'd take you for this immediately. :D

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
EroCaps said:
Crosby, Carter and Parise over Ovechkin, Malkin and Lehtonen? If this was Vegas, I'd take you for this immediately. :D
would you really be surprised if crosby, carter, or parise won rookie of the year? i definitely wouldn't be. it's wide open at this point.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Dark Metamorphosis said:
would you really be surprised if crosby, carter, or parise won rookie of the year? i definitely wouldn't be. it's wide open at this point.

I would be surprised if Carter or Parise won it over Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby and Lehtonen. Anything could happen w/those last 4. The Caps could be weak, Malkin could benefit from Mario, Crosby could go to a contender, and Atlanta could surprise people.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Marcel the great! said:
hold your darkhorses buddy! the main was to learn defense this year plus he played wtih Raitis Ivanans of all players+ i think he was like the 2nd youngest player in the AHL+ he didn't even know english! give him time, he has a great shot, hands, plus he uses his body witch is very rare for a Euro

He still struggled. There is no way this guy will make an NHL team when he still struggles in the AHL.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Outside long shot is Alexei Kaigorodov second round pick by the sens in 02, he lit up the RSL 48 points in 57 games for Magnitogorsk he led them in scoring. Appparently John Muckler wants to give him top two line icetime. That means he gets to play with one of Alfredsson, Havlat or Hossa he could put up some serious points comoing over as a 22 year old. Malkin scored 32 points in 52 games, Sykora scored 31 points in 45 games. He isnt small either 6'1 192 people compare his style to Larionov.

But if I had the choice id say Jeff Carter he will get lots of icetime on a great team and he is already a man.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
First off, I really hope someone keeps this thread fresh enough to bring it up again after next season, so we can see who was right.

My prediction is Jeff Carter and I have no problem with anyone uses the homer card with me being from the Soo. My reason for Carter as my pick is that I seriously consider him the smartest player(both ends of the ice equally) in this rookie crop. His world junior history says a lot as does his AHL run this season. He is phenominal when surrounded by talent. Duh you say? That is ok. Watching dozens and dozens of his games, you could clearly see in the Soo that he was simply too far ahead of the guys he was playing with. What I mean is he was too creative for his linemates. Place him at the WJHC, or the Calder Cup race and he showed what he is capable of. My honest prediction is that he is Philly's number 1 center by the end of the year. Many will say his point total is due to that. Well, I say his skillset is the reason for him placing himself in that position.

The best part of the Carter package is him as a person. For any of you that have met him and may meet him in the future, you easily get why he is as good as he is. He is a professional between the ears as I have seen in a lot of years in the Soo. I don't think I have seen his total package on and off ice since Ron Francis. I say that since age-wise, I am closer to being Carter's dad than his teammate. The guy is simply a special package.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Fordey said:
Not sure if that has been posted yet or not, but...

Who would your guess be to take home Rookie of the Year honours next season, if the NHL was to begin play this fall?

Please provide some commentary to support your position...

Sidney Crosby by next Fall will be ready for the NHL and there is no doubt in my mind that he is now the best junior age in the world...

Even if Ovechkin looks like the real package, is bigger and is older, there is nothing to remove or surpass the competitiveness of Crosby and his maturity level is way beyond his years.

He will shine instantly in the NHL.

FlyersFan10*

EroCaps said:

Why not Crosby, Carter or Parise over the other three? If you remember the WJHC, Carter schooled Malkin and seriously outplayed him. Not to knock Malkin, but Carter did. I think it's gonna be a great group of rookies, but I don't think the favourites that everyone has listed will win it. It won't surprise if someone less heralded wins it simply because they won't get as much attention as the top guys and will play with little fanfare or notice.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
1.Crosby
2.Lehtonen (I think Atlanta is going to do well and he could be part of the catalyst)
3.AO
4.Malkin
5.Phaneuf

stocktrader

It will come down to Crosby and Carter. If Crosby is drafted by a team where he will be given first or second line minutes, I give him the nod.

The Russians, (in particular Malkin) will not be the force that some here believe.

I have serious concerns about their ability to adapt to the North American lifestyle. After their embarrasing display at the WJC, where they taunted our neighbours to the south, it is obvious they lack the maturity required to win an award at the NHL level such as Rookie of the Year.

Last edited by a moderator:

stocktrader

Let's face the reality here.

Anyone who sits on the bench in between intermissions at the WJC, points to the name on his back to 12 year olds, and says "look at me, I'm Ovechkin" well... It's pretty safe to say he just doesn't have the mental makeup to win Rookie of the Year in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad