Next Seasons Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have a strong feeling about Tomas Vanek. He owned the AHL this year as a rookie, and thats closer to the NHL than Ovechkin and Malkin's Russian leagues. thats my opinion.

Carter is another good bet, IF he gets second line playing time (doubtful)

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
MrMastodonFarm said:
My guess is someone who won't be mentioned in this thread.

Hmmmm... Part of me wants to agree. The last two Calder winners were kind of darkhorses, but at the same time, I think maybe it's about time for a big name prospect to win. I would guess either Ovechkin or Malkin (if they come over). Both had big years in the second best league in the world (the best league in the world this year). I'm still not sure if Lehtonen is ready for prime time yet and I have three doubts about Crosby: first, since he may go to a talented, big market team, he may not get the ice time to produce Calder calibre points, second I'm not convinced he's 100% ready physically for the NHL, and third, I'm still not sold on all the hype. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll make whatever team drafts him out of camp, but I'm just not convinced he'll produce enough to win ROY.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
MattintheHatt said:
I have a strong feeling about Tomas Vanek. He owned the AHL this year as a rookie, and thats closer to the NHL than Ovechkin and Malkin's Russian leagues. thats my opinion.

Carter is another good bet, IF he gets second line playing time (doubtful)
I think Carter is likely to get second line ice time, maybe even on the first line with Gagne and Roenick. Under those conditions, I think he'd be likely to score at least 50 points. As for the award, this will be quite a year of rookies.

1) Ovechkin
2) Lehtonen
3) Malkin
4) Carter
5) Crosby- He's going up against some great 19 and 20 year olds
6) Vanek
7) Steen
8) Phaneuf
9) Suter
10) Nittymakki/Richards

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
1) Ovechkin
2) Lehtonen
3) Crosby
4) Carter
5) Malkin
6) Vanek
7) Michalek
8) Phaneuf
9) Suter
10)Kronwall
11)Boyes
12)Nittymaki
13)Richards
14)Toivonen
15)Steen
*Nittymaki will play more games than Toivonen

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
At this point, I'd say Lehtonen with Ovechkin and Crosby behind him.

However, I'm sure like every year, a relative unknown will jump into the running. I think this years guy could be Ray Emery. It all depends on Haseks health, but Emery could see himself in quite a few NHL games next year.

One thing is for sure, with 2 years worth of rookies, next years Calder race will be an exciting one.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hedberg16 said:
Sidney Crosby
The NHL will give it to him even if he isn't the best rookie next season

Yes, I think they will have to...to go along with his Hart, Art Ross, Richard and Selke.

I doubt he'll get the Byng, there's a lot of gentlemanly players out there and I don't think he has enough experience yet at that level.

:D

Phaneuf*

I'd like to see Phaneuf win but it's not likley. He's a defensive defensmen and guys like that wont win the calder. Ovechkin gets my vote.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Phaneuf said:
I'd like to see Phaneuf win but it's not likley. He's a defensive defensmen and guys like that wont win the calder. Ovechkin gets my vote.
See Jackman in '03. Phaneuf might get consideration but offensive guys like Kronwall might steal the thunder from the blueline. Not to mention the huge crop of high-end forwards coming out and a couple goalies.

King_Brown

Phaneuf said:

How could you say that about him. Hes not just a defensive defensmen at all. Hes a beast, he roams around like a lion ready to shoot that puck and kill someone. 56 points in 55 games. Syvret is lucky Big Phanuef was injured all thoose games, as he would of not been given the honour of being CHL Player of the year.

Phanuef should win it just because hes Dion Phanuef. THe most feared players to enter the NHL having not even played a single NHL game yet.

Ryan Smyth "Im looking at the rookies, and seing big nasty Dion sends shivers down my spine. I fear for myself and my teamates, and also for Tim Conklin. I've been scared before but nothing like this the arrival of Dion."

Petr Forsberg "Dion Dion, thats all I hear. I saw him smack that Olsez and I decided instead of being punked around and insulted by a 20 year old super duper star rookie of the year, I should just retire."

Jarome Iginla "I've asked Darryl umm sorry Coach Darryl to keep me out of practises, in fear of getting dare I say Phanuefed. Im scared not only for the league but my own well being as hes a destructive force ready to be unleashed."

Unamed Scout "Crosby Who"

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
King_Brown said:
How could you say that about him. Hes not just a defensive defensmen at all. Hes a beast, he roams around like a lion ready to shoot that puck and kill someone. 56 points in 55 games. Syvret is lucky Big Phanuef was injured all thoose games, as he would of not been given the honour of being CHL Player of the year.

Phanuef should win it just because hes Dion Phanuef. THe most feared players to enter the NHL having not even played a single NHL game yet.

Ryan Smyth "Im looking at the rookies, and seing big nasty Dion sends shivers down my spine. I fear for myself and my teamates, and also for Tim Conklin. I've been scared before but nothing like this the arrival of Dion."

Petr Forsberg "Dion Dion, thats all I hear. I saw him smack that Olsez and I decided instead of being punked around and insulted by a 20 year old super duper star rookie of the year, I should just retire."

Jarome Iginla "I've asked Darryl umm sorry Coach Darryl to keep me out of practises, in fear of getting dare I say Phanuefed. Im scared not only for the league but my own well being as hes a destructive force ready to be unleashed."

Unamed Scout "Crosby Who"

:biglaugh:

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
1) Ovechkin
2) Lehtonen
3) Kronwall
4) Carter
5) Crosby
6) Malkin

With all these great players coming up this is going to be a very interesting Calder race. :D

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
1.) Perezhogin (played well in Russia, may get to play with Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, and Ribeiro)
2.) Crosby (depends where he goes)
3.) Parise (With the absence of Elias and possibly Gomez, he will be looked upon to be a force)
4.) Phaneuf (will join a Calgary blueline that needs him, He will see alot of playing time along with youngsters Leopold, Regehr, ference and Commodore)
5.) Malkin (Will be playing with a potentially potent Pittsburg team that will include Malone, Morozov, and hopefully Lemieux)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
GagneOwnsYou said:
Ovechkin
Lehtonen
Malkin
Semin( eligible?)
Carter
Nittymaki

Could all win, among others.

If so, IIRC, he'd be the first Leafs rookie since Brit Selby to win the Calder. :D ;)

Seriously, though, I think Crosby will get it, especially if he were to go to a good team needing a center like Ottawa or Edmonton. I also think one of Getzlaf and Perry is a darkhorse for it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
hockeyman28 said:
1.) Perezhogin (played well in Russia, may get to play with Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, and Ribeiro)
2.) Crosby (depends where he goes)
3.) Parise (With the absence of Elias and possibly Gomez, he will be looked upon to be a force)
4.) Phaneuf (will join a Calgary blueline that needs him, He will see alot of playing time along with youngsters Leopold, Regehr, ference and Commodore)
5.) Malkin (Will be playing with a potentially potent Pittsburg team that will include Malone, Morozov, and hopefully Lemieux)

Any chance ur a Habs fan?

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
norrisnick said:
Likely would be one of the favorites (Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Lehtonen) but my dark horse is Kronwall. He's older and a bit more polished than those guys mentioned, but still would qualify for Calder consideration. After his huge year in the AHL and at the Worlds he already would have some attention. Playing next to Lidstrom or Hatcher shouldn't hurt too much either. That would cover many of his defensive lapses he may have and allow him to pile on the numbers.

Nice call. :yo:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Any chance ur a Habs fan?

Actually, no Im not, but I think that Perezhogin will be good next year, Ive watched many a videos and I think that his game will adapt well to Montreals speedy style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->