Next Seasons Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
stocktrader said:
Let's face the reality here.

Anyone who sits on the bench in between intermissions at the WJC, points to the name on his back to 12 year olds, and says "look at me, I'm Ovechkin" well... It's pretty safe to say he just doesn't have the mental makeup to win Rookie of the Year in the NHL.
I don't know whether to :help: or just :biglaugh: at that post.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
FlyersFan10 said:
Why not Crosby, Carter or Parise over the other three? If you remember the WJHC, Carter schooled Malkin and seriously outplayed him. Not to knock Malkin, but Carter did. I think it's gonna be a great group of rookies, but I don't think the favourites that everyone has listed will win it. It won't surprise if someone less heralded wins it simply because they won't get as much attention as the top guys and will play with little fanfare or notice.

Carter played w/a cast of WJC All-Stars. Malkin was almost isolated. The point differential was minor. I wouldn't call that a schooling. Simply put, Ovechkin, Malkin and Lehtonen are each more talented than Carter and Parise. Crosby could *concievably* be better, but my money is on one of the Russians.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
stocktrader said:
Let's face the reality here.

Anyone who sits on the bench in between intermissions at the WJC, points to the name on his back to 12 year olds, and says "look at me, I'm Ovechkin" well... It's pretty safe to say he just doesn't have the mental makeup to win Rookie of the Year in the NHL.

This is remarkably poignant. You should trademark your player evaluation skills. :clap:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Not only was Ovechkin arguable the best player for Russia in the recent WC, I also think he was easily the best player in last summer's world cup.

If he plays with good linemates, I'll be surprised if he isn't in the runnings for the Art Ross.

Not saying for sure he will win rookie of the year, but then whoever does would have to be totally unbelievable because I think Ovechkin is ready to play at a superstar level right now.

stocktrader

thomasincanada said:
199 posts and still nothing of any use whatsoever added to these forums.

Keep up the good work.
Apparently you don't like to see anything negative said against your hometown hockey hero.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
stocktrader said:
Apparently you don't like to see anything negative said against your hometown hockey hero.

Nah, I certainly don't expect Perry to win NHL rookie of the year and I wouldn't be surprised if he spent a year or two in the AHL.

My point wasn't about defense of Perry. It was about the fact that I feel your posts never add anything of value to these topics.

Are you starting to notice it's not just knights fans anymore who are bashing your posts?

Tom

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
jmelm said:
Not only was Ovechkin arguable the best player for Russia in the recent WC, I also think he was easily the best player in last summer's world cup.

That is ridiculous he was a healthy scratch in the World Cup, Kovalev was far and away the best player on team Russia, Zubrus coming in second.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
bert said:
That is ridiculous he was a healthy scratch in the World Cup, Kovalev was far and away the best player on team Russia, Zubrus coming in second.

He was scratched one game. He dominated a few others and finished w/the team lead in scoring.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Corey Perry doesn't win Rookie of the Year, I think Stocktrader will. He's got all the intangables. His posting game is so well rounded. He's the complete package. He can be beligerant, obnoxious, ignorant, and biased. He's pretty much everything you could hope for from a Rookie of the Year canidate.

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
As a Sens fan, I'm guessing that if Hasek retires, and Ray Emery becomes their top netminder, that he'll be rookie of the year. He's a very solid and hardworking player, has played 3 seasons in the AHL quite well, and I hope will turn in a Raycroft like year. Playing for the Sens, he'd also be given a great opportunity, as there are few odd man rushes and that sort of thing.

Barring that, I expect that Kari Lehtonen will easily take the reigns of Atlanta, and become one of the league's top netminders. Atlanta has needed a goalie that could post more than a .900 save percentage for some time, and look for Lehtonen to have a .920 to .930 IMO. He plays well beyond his years, and will hopefully make Atlanta not only a playoff team, but a contending team.

stocktrader

rt said:
If Corey Perry doesn't win Rookie of the Year, I think Stocktrader will. He's got all the intangables. His posting game is so well rounded. He's the complete package. He can be beligerant, obnoxious, ignorant, and biased. He's pretty much everything you could hope for from a Rookie of the Year canidate.
Definetely not ignorant. :D

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
loadie said:
Ahhhh crap. Oh well...no darkhorse then. ;)

Brown still has some work to do before he's a legitimate NHL force. He was better at being physical and drawing penalties than creating scoring chances. Even if he was still eligible, dark horse is too kind of a word for "long shot" for him :)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
bert said:

He was a healthy scratch the first couple of games which probably only happened because the coach didn't want to rush him into that kind of situation for fear he might not be able to handle it.

Well, once he was put in the line-up, he was never taken out and his ice time was increased every game, to the point that he was a go-to guy and being put out there when Russia needed to score a big goal.

In any event, minute-for-minute he was the most dominant player on that roster and created more chances than anyone else.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
King'sPawn said:
Brown still has some work to do before he's a legitimate NHL force. He was better at being physical and drawing penalties than creating scoring chances. Even if he was still eligible, dark horse is too kind of a word for "long shot" for him :)

He was nearly a point per game in the 'A' this is season. I know, I know, but I'm just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad