Next Seasons Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordey

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Not sure if that has been posted yet or not, but...

Who would your guess be to take home Rookie of the Year honours next season, if the NHL was to begin play this fall?

Please provide some commentary to support your position...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If either comes over, Malkin or AO. Mostly because of the irony that both Washington and Pittsburgh will suck next year so getting the player who draws the fans in points will be the focus.Think Mario in he early days (I am not comparing either to him skill wise btw). But early on he led the league in scoring year after year and the Pens still finished near the bottom. ROY is tailor made for very good players on sucky teams where they are about all there is to go to.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
sharkyz15 said:
It will be Ovechkin or Lehtonin

No questions asked

I would give the edge to ovechkin

No questions asked? Hell, I will give you that AO may eventually turn out to be the better pro, but will he have Recchi and Mario on the wings? Malkin very well could. Imagine the point totals Malkin could put up on that line. What else do the Pens have to draw fans coming in next year? They will be young, give up a ton of goals, so distract the fans with a line like that. As I said, the ROY will likely come from a very sucky team. The Caps fit and AO may win it, but 'no questions asked'? I am not so sure about that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My top 3 would be Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin in that order.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I say Ovechkin, he was already more NHL ready than say Kovalchuck after his draft year and now with another year of maturing being around some of the best, he is the best bet right now. Not to mention he will most likely see alot of playing time in Washington (hard to judge what players they will bring in, but I can't imagine they will try to hinder the potential of making Ovechkin the teams star).

Malkin and Vanek are in the same boat, both will see good playing time, Malkin more than anyone will have had the biggest boost from an additional year of maturing and filling out, but AO is still my run away favorite.

Kari is the no-brainer for a goalie nominee, would have been their starter this year, now he gets to lead the team next year and should do very well.

Phaneuf and Suter are the obvious defense choices, although if any defensemen wants to win the award they will have to put up some serious numbers. This wont be a Jackman type year where the forward nominees are less than stellar, they will really have to stand out. I don't think Phaneuf will be able to being a 6th (maybe 5th at best) d-man in Calgary with little to no PP time and Suter won't be looked on to contribute as much as say Hamhuis was so I don't think he'll make a big splash either.

Its going to go to a forward, AO, Malkin and Vanek being the big 3 to look out for. Who knows, it could even be Sidney Crosby.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacobv2 said:
My top 3 would be Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin in that order.

I agree. As good as Lehtonen is it'll be tough for him to win the Calder if Atlanta can't make the playoffs and have some sort of success i.e Theodore.

I would consider switching Malkin and Crosby. The experience factor and the Mario factor. If Mario can play 50-60 games you might as well tack on 15-20 pts to whatever you though Malkin would get his rookie year.

mooseOAK*

I wouldn't say any players that were in Europe last season, including Ovechkin. They aren't used to the 82 game schedule and tend to fade towards the end of the year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Likely would be one of the favorites (Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Lehtonen) but my dark horse is Kronwall. He's older and a bit more polished than those guys mentioned, but still would qualify for Calder consideration. After his huge year in the AHL and at the Worlds he already would have some attention. Playing next to Lidstrom or Hatcher shouldn't hurt too much either. That would cover many of his defensive lapses he may have and allow him to pile on the numbers.

Highbuds

Jun 8, 2005
I think that's a generalization. There are certainly players that have proved that wrong. I don't feel I have to name any, but, to say a european trained player isn't going to win is crazy.

Your point is a good one, but, the most talented prospects eligible are european.

mooseOAK*

Just playing the odds, and because of that I would say that Kronwall would be the favourite. Heck, he turned pro when the 18 year olds were in junior high school.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
mooseOAK said:
I wouldn't say any players that were in Europe last season, including Ovechkin. They aren't used to the 82 game schedule and tend to fade towards the end of the year.

They kinda did for example Ovechkin his season started at the World Cup then RSL put the World Juniors in the middle probably missed some RSL games, RSL Playoffs and the World Championships. It might not be 82 games probably 70 to 75

My top 3 are Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby Two Darkhorses/homer picks Bourret and Picard (CBJ) if they make it if they are on the team but most likey won't be rookie of the year

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Kronwall is elligible for the same reasons that Dejan Kovacevic figured out that Fleury no longer is, either:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04317/410724.stm
Fleury played in 21 games last season, and he has played seven games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season.

Think the latter has nothing to do with it? Think again.

To lose rookie status, one cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season, nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Hence, Fleury can be considered an NHL rookie only if there is a 2004-05 season. If the season is lost, he will lose his rookie status forever.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Jacobv2 said:
I don't think Kronwall is elligible for the same reasons that Dejan Kovacevic figured out that Fleury no longer is, either:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04317/410724.stm
How does that work with regards to Raycroft winning the Calder in '04? He played 21 NHL games over three seasons and 119 AHL games again over 3 seasons before sticking with Boston in '03-'04? Each of those three seasons he played over a combined 40 games in the NHL and AHL, yet was still eligible for the Calder.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I guess because he played in the NHL in consecutive seasons.

Can't speak for Ovechkin, but Malkin played in 77 games this season.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
MrMastodonFarm said:
My guess is someone who won't be mentioned in this thread.

Normally I'd agree with that but this year there is just so much talent coming into the league I'm doubtful it will be some darkhorse.

Oh, and Kari Lehtonen is my definite favorite for this award. If Niklas Kronwall is eligible he's in the top 5, along with Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, and Evgeni Malkin. Others to watch out for are Thomas Vanek, Dion Phaneuf, and possibly Antero Nittymaki if he gets enough playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->