Next Seasons Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I say Carter. I think he's going to get decent playing time on a talented team, so that'll help him look really good as a rookie.

I can't say Crosby, as I don't know who drafts him.

I can't say other players such as Ovechkin, Malkin, et al because they are on rebuilding teams. Only 3 times out of the last 10 has the Calder been won by a player on a non-playoff team (Heatley in 2002, Berard in 1997, and Alfredsson in 1996). I just don't think Ovechkin or Malkin will have a strong enough supporting cast to boost their numbers to earn them an award (not to take anything away from them, of course). Lehtonen would be my second favorite as Calder, and I have a feeling he'll help lead the Thrashers to their first playoffs.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
hockeyman28 said:
1.) Perezhogin (played well in Russia, may get to play with Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, and Ribeiro)
2.) Crosby (depends where he goes)
3.) Parise (With the absence of Elias and possibly Gomez, he will be looked upon to be a force)
4.) Phaneuf (will join a Calgary blueline that needs him, He will see alot of playing time along with youngsters Leopold, Regehr, ference and Commodore)
5.) Malkin (Will be playing with a potentially potent Pittsburg team that will include Malone, Morozov, and hopefully Lemieux)

That's the first mention of Perezhogin and Parise in this thread, no? Anyone else think they're both good calls (in best case line scenarios, of course)?

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Obviously the clear cut favorites are AO, Lehtonen and Malkin. Dark hose candidates are much more fun to predict, so I say

1. Kronwall
2. Kostitsyn
3. Vanek
4. Toivonen

Crosby is too young still. For all his potential, he would still be a boy playing among men. He will be competing with most of the 2003 and 2004 drafts, and every other overage prospect that should have been given a shot last year.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
The big names are already out there (I like AO and Kronwall) ... so here's my out-on-a-limb prediction:

Lundqvist ... Any goalie who gets a shot at the #1 job on any team has to be a candidate (see Raycroft), and I think Henke's gonna get that shot ... what he does with it, we'll see ...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
gonzopher said:
The big names are already out there (I like AO and Kronwall) ... so here's my out-on-a-limb prediction:

Lundqvist ... Any goalie who gets a shot at the #1 job on any team has to be a candidate (see Raycroft), and I think Henke's gonna get that shot ... what he does with it, we'll see ...

Thats a good call, any rookie starting goaltender will almost always get a look

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't count out Zach Parise...and if Ryan Miller is still eligible then he could be a strong candidate as well.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
David said:
I wouldn't count out Zach Parise...and if Ryan Miller is still eligible then he could be a strong candidate as well.
Miller is just barely eligible. He's one game shy of having played too many in consecutive seasons and he's turning 25 before the next season.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
norrisnick said:
Miller is just barely eligible. He's one game shy of having played too many in consecutive seasons and he's turning 25 before the next season.

He keeps eligibility but it will probably hurt his chances with the voters because they will know him already so being good won't be good enough, he is going to have to separate himself from the pack.

Rejean31

Aug 14, 2003
Drunken Alley
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Seriously, though, I think Crosby will get it, especially if he were to go to a good team needing a center like Ottawa or Edmonton. I also think one of Getzlaf and Perry is a darkhorse for it.

Edmonton is a good team?? :biglaugh:

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
I think it really depends on the draft. Players may end up on a good team and be left on the 4th line, or get a shot on a top line. They may also head to a poor team and may or may not get to play on a top line.

Anyway I would say Crosby. If he ends up on a decent team like ummm Vancouver :handclap: , he would probably be given the chance to play on maybe the second line with the Sedins or something (I know I am dreaming). In that kind of position I think he would do great. Who knows really though it depends on so much, injuries, the team, the line, adapting to playing with men.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
My darkhorse is Michael Richards. Very intelligent player and underrated on these boards IMO.

Tom

Most people around here realise how valuable he is I think. His offense is the thing most underrated here.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I give a homer vote for Parise but with Gomez and Madden eating up 35 minutes a night down the middle I find it hard to think Parise will be getting much ice time.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Phaneuf
Lehtonen
Carter
Ovechkin
Crosby

In that order:

Homer pick: Lundqvist - May or may not start for the NYR, depends on camp. If he does, and his SEL game translates to the NHL, he should be a leading candidate...as long as the rest of the team doesn't make him look too bad.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Epsilon said:
People said that about Lindros, and it didn't happen. The NHL can't tell the sportswriters who to vote for.
The all-time record for rookie goals and points will generally draw a bit of attention from the voters. :teach:

I don't think I'm disagreeing with your point. Just adding to it.

(Teemu's records are about as safe as Wayne's goals and points record.)

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Interesting post, IMO lots of the names mentioned will not even play in the NHL this year (assuming there is a season).

Steen - is still a year or so away
M Richards - Philly has to much depth to see this guy make the team
J Carter - Same thing, Philly is a hard team to crack the line up
Malkin - I bet he stays in Europe
Ovechkin - Depending on the rookie cap, I bet he stays in Russia
Kostitsyn - He is not even close, he had a brutual year in AHL

My pick for rookie of the year is Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad