Next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think we all need to calm down with respect to lingering effects and potential long term issues.

Studies like these need to cover hundreds of patients over a very long period of time.

Look at concussions and all the time and research required to come to any sort of consensus.

The reality is, a vaccine is not going to be 100% effective. Any reputable vaccine will take many years to complete. Sure, they may roll out a vaccine in 6 months but the odds of it being effective in any meaningful way is probably not a reasonable expectation.

Until they have a vaccine or treatment options, the vast majority of the population will contract the virus. I think we all need to accept this as the reality. WE just need to hope:
1> The majority of virus carriers don’t develop symptoms
2> The forecasted long term effects are minimal and Affect a very small percentage of people

Also, the overwhelming majority of deaths have been those that you mentioned. So, until more reputable data is presented years from now that suggests the virus lingers and kills people years later, I think we need to hold back on the speculation.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
While only a small percentage of infected people will experience these lingering symptoms and long term effects it is worth noting. This should not be dismissed as a virus that only kills the old and weak as many regard the flu. You just don't know what will happen if you get infected, or those close to you. Sure, it is a small percentage, until it hits people you know.

2 people

1 person had covid, had a pre-existing lung issue and over 60, but is now pretty much back to health, able to exercise, has financial flexibility and will be able to pay his bills for the foreseeable future regardless of the economy.

1 person is mid 30s, no health issues and no covid diagnosis. lost his job due to this and is now unsure where he will live with his family of 5 in three months due to the lack of available jobs now and in the foreseeable future.

who should we be worried about?

im person 1, i had it and im generally fine now. i always had lung issues and will continue to do so, but i wouldn't know that i had it based on how i feel now. person 2 is my neighbour, with no job and a young family.

im way more worried about person 2, theres way more person 2s out there then person 1s.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
2 people

1 person had covid, had a pre-existing lung issue and over 60, but is now pretty much back to health, able to exercise, has financial flexibility and will be able to pay his bills for the foreseeable future regardless of the economy.

1 person is mid 30s, no health issues and no covid diagnosis. lost his job due to this and is now unsure where he will live with his family of 5 in three months due to the lack of available jobs now and in the foreseeable future.

im person 1, i had it and im generally fine now. i always had lung issues and will continue to do so, but i wouldn't know that i had it based on how i feel now. person 2 is my neighbour, with no job and a young family.

im way more worried about person 2, theres way more person 2s out there then person 1s.

I am glad you have recovered and are healthy.
You are a good and compassionate person and your post has restored my faith in the goodness of humanity.
Thank you for that

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I am glad you have recovered and are healthy.
You are a good and compassionate person and your post has restored my faith in the goodness of humanity.
Thank you for that

thanks, i dont think im any different then most. i find on here and everywhere really we focus so much on getting covid as a death sentence and how awful it is. we never talk about how awful it is for those people like my neighbour, and how theres way more people like that then like me.

maybe its because its not life and death per say, but we focus on the 1 percent way to much without talking about the other 10 percent.

im terrified for those 10 percent and the rest of our youth who may never get to where alot of us over 60 are now financially, and im not even that well off.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
2 people

Puts everything in perspective with your post. Sports takes a back seat when it comes to health, everytime or should. Be well and take good care.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Puts everything in perspective with your post. Sports takes a back seat when it comes to health, everytime or should. Be well and take good care.

appreciate your words.

to be honest, if hockey coming back helps person 2 at all, it should come back imo.

my overall point is/was that we are focusing on person 1 way to much on here. i am person 1, there will always be person 1's. they are the 1-2 percent of the population.

person 2 is way more prevalent in the world and in just as much trouble, maybe more. i just wish wed talk about them.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
appreciate your words.

to be honest, if hockey coming back helps person 2 at all, it should come back imo.

my overall point is/was that we are focusing on person 1 way to much on here. i am person 1, there will always be person 1's. they are the 1-2 percent of the population.

person 2 is way more prevalent in the world and in just as much trouble, maybe more. i just wish wed talk about them.
I keep thinking about the small business owners that put their life savings into their business and because of this have lost everything. Imagine their whole future in ruin. Really sad to think about.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
appreciate your words.

i pointed this out pretty much on Day One and was slammed relentlessly by many.

Sometimes it is hard to see the forrest for the trees.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i pointed this out pretty much on Day One and was slammed relentlessly by many.

Sometimes it is hard to see the forrest for the trees.

certainly seems to be one person who goes after everyone who posts something that paints things in a good light or someone who offers a different view. i dont get it, it shouldnt be a fight, it should be a discussion.

I keep thinking about the small business owners that put their life savings into their business and because of this have lost everything. Imagine their whole future in ruin. Really sad to think about.

thats where my neighbour is at. his business was doing quite well, now its basically lost with little chance to come back. he can get his hand outs from the government and a break on his mortgage, but that ends and then what? hes probably homeless.

i agree with what we did in march, we didnt know what we were dealing with. we did it right. now we need to continue to open smartly and get people paychecks. i understand the virus, i got it and i have a significant pre-existing condition. i had to stay in the hospital for a few days. i get its scary, but long term care homes and those over 80 are the high danger ones. we can find the random 30 year old that gets it and leads to significant issues, but that is such an outlier. we post and talk about them on here as if they are common, when they are not.

millions of people have lost their jobs, thats insane. evidently there are tent cities in toronto right now from homeless people, the overflow of shelters. people who were living paycheck to paycheck who cant get a paycheck now. we focus on the 10/15 in ontario that died under 40 and say 'see, we need to lock it up until a vaccine', while totally ignoring the millions who are jobless. we post about an athelete who is 21 getting covid, who will be fine, has millions in his account, while ignoring the families who may not have a home next year. how does that work? why dont we care about the families? why dont we care about those who may not have a home in a few months?

sorry if this is aggressive or condescending, its not meant to be. i just feel that we are completely ignoring a significant majority of those who are affected by this to talk about the 1 percent, which isn't fair.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
certainly seems to be one person who goes after everyone who posts something that paints things in a good light or someone who offers a different view. i dont get it, it shouldnt be a fight, it should be a discussion.

thats where my neighbour is at. his business was doing quite well, now its basically lost with little chance to come back. he can get his hand outs from the government and a break on his mortgage, but that ends and then what? hes probably homeless.

i agree with what we did in march, we didnt know what we were dealing with. we did it right. now we need to continue to open smartly and get people paychecks. i understand the virus, i got it and i have a significant pre-existing condition. i had to stay in the hospital for a few days. i get its scary, but long term care homes and those over 80 are the high danger ones. we can find the random 30 year old that gets it and leads to significant issues, but that is such an outlier. we post and talk about them on here as if they are common, when they are not.

millions of people have lost their jobs, thats insane. evidently there are tent cities in toronto right now from homeless people, the overflow of shelters. people who were living paycheck to paycheck who cant get a paycheck now. we focus on the 10/15 in ontario that died under 40 and say 'see, we need to lock it up until a vaccine', while totally ignoring the millions who are jobless. we post about an athelete who is 21 getting covid, who will be fine, has millions in his account, while ignoring the families who may not have a home next year. how does that work? why dont we care about the families? why dont we care about those who may not have a home in a few months?

sorry if this is aggressive or condescending, its not meant to be. i just feel that we are completely ignoring a significant majority of those who are affected by this to talk about the 1 percent, which isn't fair.
Couldn’t have said it any better.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Coronavirus: Lifting Canada’s border closure still too risky, Trudeau says

and...

Coronavirus Live News and Updates

If there's no hockey this season you can put some blame south of the border

Canada population ~38 million
USA population ~330 million

Canada has approximately 50 cities over 100k or more people. USA has approximately 285 cities over 100k or more people

It’s going to be way tougher to control here especially with a dense population. This should be expected. There is no way to possibly control it with this level of population without continuing a full economic shutdown, which is already impossible to sustain

Unfortunately its going to spread like wildfire in US.

As for others across the internet world offering proposed ideas of US teams playing in Canada this coming year..

How does that make ANY sense? Are we presuming then that fans are allowed at games? Because once again the OHL is not playing a good chunk of their season (let alone all of their season) without fans. So if fans are allowed, even if limited capacity, what are the US teams going to generate in a completely foreign market? Seriously. That idea is wack and is going to cripple the finances of all the US teams way more than the other teams.

It doesn’t matter either way because if the NHL doesn’t end up playing, what’s the point of talking about the OHL playing? And news flash to anyone just joining the party, the NHL is still just in the early stages of starting back up. I predict a full collapse of their plan. And once the fall hits/2nd wave happens, they will be in no position to resume at that time either

Sorry, but life - and this includes all sports, concerts, and entertainment avenues - will not be “normal” again until a vaccine. OHL will be lucky to play a 30 game season next year..
Fans in stands is going to be a lonnnng way off

Reactions: Eerie

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

millions of people have lost their jobs, thats insane. evidently there are tent cities in toronto right now from homeless pople, the overflow of shelters. people who were living paycheck to paycheck who cant get a paycheck now. we focus on the 10/15 in ontario that died under 40 and say 'see, we need to lock it up until a vaccine', while totally ignoring the millions who are jobless. we post about an athelete who is 21 getting covid, who will be fine, has millions in his account, while ignoring the families who may not have a home next year. how does that work? why dont we care about the families? why dont we care about those who may not have a home in a few months?

We might talk about people over 80 if they are common but you can't just think of them as another statistic either. I don't believe for a minute a full lockdown should happen either but we can't act like the province of Ontario stops in Toronto either. It's awful that there are more homeless people out there in the past few months and yes they live in a larger bubble(expenses etc..) I would be curious to know how many of those people that were on the edge of this before the pandemic hit. Took numerous finance classes and it's easier said than done but they stressed make sure you have 3+ months in the bank for expenses in case some catastrophe hit.

I don't pretend to know the answer for this but extending CERB for another couple of months isn't a solution.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

That is the approach Sweden took. They figured most everyone will get it at some point and no vaccine will be viable for many years so may as well get it out of the way.

Reactions: Truthking

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Pat on the back???

I think it is more about me being on an Island by myself in that regard. I was somewhat surprised about that. I assumed more people would look at the bigger picture.

I do admit there was a point there where I thought maybe I was wrong and I still do agree with the closures until we knew more.

My issue now is we do have data, a significant amount of it, and yet we are still using the projections and forecasts front he past to make decisions. It doesn’t make sense to me except for the fact we may get a second wave and it will be harder to go backward after going forward. The problem is we are gambling with hundreds of thousands of families welfare. I have a hard time sacrificing those people when we can reasonably isolate those vulnerable from dying.

I see no real significant reason to isolate everyone when the reality is only a small percentage of the population are at serious risk of dying. I think we are smart enough to develop ways to shelter those people in a way to significantly reduce the risk.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We might talk about people over 80 if they are common but you can't just think of them as another statistic either. I don't believe for a minute a full lockdown should happen either but we can't act like the province of Ontario stops in Toronto either. It's awful that there are more homeless people out there in the past few months and yes they live in a larger bubble(expenses etc..) I would be curious to know how many of those people that were on the edge of this before the pandemic hit. Took numerous finance classes and it's easier said than done but they stressed make sure you have 3+ months in the bank for expenses in case some catastrophe hit.

I don't pretend to know the answer for this but extending CERB for another couple of months isn't a solution.

It is really tough. I live in Ottawa. Ottawa is relatively sheltered from the economic issues. We have a lot of public servants and private sector jobs that allow work from home so there has been less income disruption.

However, this has hit the retail and hospitality sector tremendously hard. The irony of that is those are the people most likely to have to live paycheque to paycheque.

I heard there were 8 million people collecting CERB in Canada. That is a lot more than I would have expected but it goes to show how many jobs have been disrupted. The reality is a large portion of those people will end up on Unemployment Insurance when CERB ends because of the business closures.

We cannot know what the long term impact will be. We do have a sense of the short term impact. I am not too sure we can really concentrate on the short term impact. Most people will rebound over time. How long will it take though?

Ottawa is a border town. Quebec is opening virtually everything. PEople from Ottawa will be able to go to the casino in Gatineau, or a water park, or sit in an air conditioned restaurant/bar etc. How hard is it for the Ottawa businesses to know that a couple kilometres away there businesses like their open while those here are preparing for bankruptcy.

Otto

Only 111 positive cases in Ontario announced today and 30,718 tests completed.

If the OHL is going to play with fans they need to look at contingency plans with the 3 US based teams. The USA continues to be a mess and I don't see the border opening any time soon.

Barring a second wave I could see the OHL ready to go full force by end of September as long as something is worked out regarding Saginaw, Flint, and Erie.

If the trend continues I could see phase three beginning sometime next week.

8,900 new cases in Florida announced today...

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Only 111 positive cases in Ontario announced today and 30,718 tests completed.

If the OHL is going to play with fans they need to look at contingency plans with the 3 US based teams. The USA continues to be a mess and I don't see the border opening any time soon.

Barring a second wave I could see the OHL ready to go full force by end of September as long as something is worked out regarding Saginaw, Flint, and Erie.

If the trend continues I could see phase three beginning sometime next week.

8,900 new cases in Florida announced today...
I wonder what that might look like, do you think those 3 teams could play in other markets? Seems difficult to pull off, but who knows

Otto

I wonder what that might look like, do you think those 3 teams could play in other markets? Seems difficult to pull off, but who knows

Not sure... But even if the border is opened I'd be willing to bet that there will be a two week quarantine in effect until at least the end of the year for anyone who crosses, and I don't see it being waived for teenaged hockey players. That being said, the OHL will have a big decision to make.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

first off i dont live in toronto, i was there for a follow up with my specialist, im from the windsor area.

ive never seen so many tents in one spot in my life, one of the main streets was lined with them, im guessing those are not people who live in toronto either.

im not sure why it matters if someone was living pay check to pay check or not, they are now struggling, that would be like saying 'they are over 80, who cares let them die'. at some point we all live pay check to pay check, i lived pay check to pay check after i bought my first home, its part of life. we need to be wary of anyone who is sick or in jeopardy and adjust accordingly. if the numbers were reversed and we saw millions dying and a few thousand out of work, id say lock it up and throw away the key, but thats simply not happening. the virus is way less lethal then we anticipated and its becoming more and more worse for those in economic and mentally insable situations. millions without jobs, thousands suicidal and hundreds dying of drug overdoses.

we just cant keep locking it up and expect it to go away, like dr williams said yesterday, we have to come to grips that this isnt going away and do our best to manage it while opening up, its just not viable to shut down for 6 months, we wont have taxes to pay for hospitals to treat anyone.

i continue to be confused as to why we freak out about someone like austen matthews getting covid but theres zero comments about a family of 5 being homeless over the economical shutdown. its so odd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad