Next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I mentioned this a couple of days ago in the Kitchener thread.

1) most of these teams rely on ticket revenue and concessions. empty arenas will put a lot of OHL teams out of business.

2) can you responsibly transport 99% of your leagues players into a new house with another family? I can only speak for the Knights and Rangers, but a lot of the billet families I’ve met around the rinks are 50+

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
for the majority of OHL teams, their camps open the monday before labour day weekend. this year, the monday before labour day happens to fall on August 31. should events not get pushed back any further than August 31, we could be looking at a regular start for training camps.

the biggest issue I see is that the entire league may not be on the ice from mid-March until the end of August. training camps would then likely have to be either longer or pushed back.

Reactions: three dog night

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
No chance the OHL plays in empty arenas.
They will delay the start of the season over a month before this.
The inability to potentially travel will gain them some time if the World Juniors are cancelled and they approach the Christmas break as a chance to "make up games"

Reactions: NOA

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
No chance the OHL plays in empty arenas.
They will delay the start of the season over a month before this.
The inability to potentially travel will gain them some time if the World Juniors are cancelled and they approach the Christmas break as a chance to "make up games"
Or pay a reduced schedule. Perhaps 50 game range. This would reduce expenses. Teams like the Hounds have huge road expenses, so playing fewer games would make more sense than playing a full schedule with 20% say, in front of an empty rink.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don’t see us playing in empty buildings. It won’t work financially.

The NHL can likely do something like this as they can fall back on TV deals. Also, there’d be an increase in pay per view or center ice type subscribers. The OHL doesn’t have the TV deals and the $$ that would come in via OHL live or the like would be negligible.

I see a delayed start to the season and depending on when the season would start, a reduced schedule.

However, if you listen to the likes of Trudeau, the league could be down for an indefinite period of time. He’s talking this thing (social distancing and other mitigating exercises) going on for a period of six to eighteen months. The “echoing” of the virus coming and going until a cure or antidote is found.

If this “new normal” lasts that long, the 20-21 season could be a wash.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Could you imagine how many overagers teams would have on their rosters if the 20-21 season is a wash?

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Could you imagine how many overagers teams would have on their rosters if the 20-21 season is a wash?

For next year they’d have none and the year after I don’t even know what would happen. Chaos

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I thought there was going to be an unusual amount of very good OAs this season to begin with. If camps open up even a month late and no rookie tournaments, I think we see several NHL signed OAs.

Or maybe Swedish, Finnish, Russian leagues open up sooner and would be AHL’ers stay in Europe.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I thought there was going to be an unusual amount of very good OAs this season to begin with. If camps open up even a month late and no rookie tournaments, I think we see several NHL signed OAs.

Or maybe Swedish, Finnish, Russian leagues open up sooner and would be AHL’ers stay in Europe.

There’s always the chance that if there is a 20-21 season, import players may choose to play on their side of the pond for the season.

If that is the case, in an effort to prevent a reduction of talent or a watering down, perhaps the CHL would allow teams the option to have extra overage players, especially if there is an overabundance of overage players next year.

Therefore, a team who suffers a loss of an import player due to that player staying on the other side of the pond, can utilize on OA in his spot.

So along with the option of having the current ratio of 3 OA’s to 2 import players, a team could possibly have a ratio of 4:1 or 5:0 OA’s to imports.

These are unprecedented times and a rule like this would only be in place for whatever season or seasons are affected by the coronavirus.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
ZERO chance the CHL teams will play in front of empty arenas.

I see almost a forced 3 in 3 weekend throughout the season. I can also see a revised schedule where teams go on longer road trips to take away a lot of the big travel. For example, Ottawa takes out the entire western Conference on one trip over two weekends. They miss a week of school but so be it. IT is not like missing a week of school is meaningful considering they’ll be missing months this year.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
this is my best-case scenario timeline proposal (under the assumption that we slowly start to re-integrate back to our lives in September):

Labour Day weekend- players report to teams (so players don't have to switch schools a month into the year), 2-3 day training camps.

September- training period. team practices/workouts to get everyone back into it. this will almost certainly be the longest the players will have been off the ice for.

Early October- Pre-season games/continued practices and workouts. I don't think you can jump right back in to regular season hockey.

Mid-October- season start. 60 game season rather than 68 because that's about where the schedule is at by then. the 8 missed games will mean less divisional games (ie. Kitchener will not play Guelph and Owen Sound 8 times each, etc.)

Fans in stadium? depends where we are at come October. if there's progression, potentially a cap to how many (a % of each teams capacity rather than a set number so that there's room to space out). STH's get first crack at keeping their tickets obviously. I expect teams will be willing to put your tickets on hold if you are not comfortable going to games yet. if it's not even safe enough for that, no fans. but no fans raises the issue of teams running out of money which makes this whole thing unlikely

this seems like wishful thinking but what else is there to do than hope for the best

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hypothetically speaking, if they play three games per week starting the weekend after Thanksgiving, they can play a 68 game schedule and stay completely on time for regular playoff start date and Memorial Cup.

They are already discussing a two to four week delay in Memorial Cup. So that gives them even more of a buffer.

For the teams on the outer reaches of the geographic area, we will see a lot of three games in three days on the road.

Ottawa for example:
1> North Bay, Sudbury, SSM
2> Windsor, Flint, Saginaw
3> Sarnia, London, Kitchener
4> Owen Sound, Guelph, Barrie
5> Niagara, Hamilton, Erie
6> Niagara, Hamilton, Missy x2

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hypothetically speaking, if they play three games per week starting the weekend after Thanksgiving, they can play a 68 game schedule and stay completely on time for regular playoff start date and Memorial Cup.

They are already discussing a two to four week delay in Memorial Cup. So that gives them even more of a buffer.

For the teams on the outer reaches of the geographic area, we will see a lot of three games in three days on the road.

Ottawa for example:
1> North Bay, Sudbury, SSM
2> Windsor, Flint, Saginaw
3> Sarnia, London, Kitchener
4> Owen Sound, Guelph, Barrie
5> Niagara, Hamilton, Erie
6> Niagara, Hamilton, Missy x2
If the season starts late, why would there be a instant demand to play 68games? Erie has been playing 6/7 three-in-three weekends the last few years and it’s a noticeable difference on their performances those weekends. Creating more 3in3s? Seems silly to me. Ideally the OHL decides to go to 58-60 games and potentially push their season back a few weeks. Those two combined would save them close to 2 months time

I think the reality of the situation is nobody knows right now. It is still only mid April and things have changed rapidly in just 4-5 months from the beginning of this. Nobody can say for certainty where the world will be in 2-3 months (June/July) let alone in 5-6 months (October).

Once a vaccine is developed, sports and most of life will get back to things. Probably still 8-12 months away from that on the best case scenario side. But that doesn’t mean it’s the only solution.. I’m no doctor but the experts pretty much all agree that before a vaccine we simply need better treatment options and to better understand this virus. Who is at most risk? Who is immune or asymptomatic? What can we do to ease the worst symptoms? Testing? Etc etc

If there becomes a better understanding of the virus, better testing, and more treatment options - the risk becomes significantly less and life will start getting closer to “normal” prior to a vaccine

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the season starts late, why would there be a instant demand to play 68games? Erie has been playing 6/7 three-in-three weekends the last few years and it’s a noticeable difference on their performances those weekends. Creating more 3in3s? Seems silly to me. Ideally the OHL decides to go to 58-60 games and potentially push their season back a few weeks. Those two combined would save them close to 2 months time

I think the reality of the situation is nobody knows right now. It is still only mid April and things have changed rapidly in just 4-5 months from the beginning of this. Nobody can say for certainty where the world will be in 2-3 months (June/July) let alone in 5-6 months (October).

Once a vaccine is developed, sports and most of life will get back to things. Probably still 8-12 months away from that on the best case scenario side. But that doesn’t mean it’s the only solution.. I’m no doctor but the experts pretty much all agree that before a vaccine we simply need better treatment options and to better understand this virus. Who is at most risk? Who is immune or asymptomatic? What can we do to ease the worst symptoms? Testing? Etc etc

If there becomes a better understanding of the virus, better testing, and more treatment options - the risk becomes significantly less and life will start getting closer to “normal” prior to a vaccine

Teams like Erie, SSM and Ottawa already do these. Now every team can join the fun!

But seriously, there are quite a few teams taht host on Thursdays and closer teams taht play on a Tuesday-Wednesday so the only thing that would change is the same number of games fits into 2 less weeks. It means 3 games per week every week instead of 6 weeks of 2 games and the rest 3. It isn't a big enough difference.

It is simply a way to keep the integrity of the schedule in tact while still starting late and finishing on time. It just shows there are time frame options. Loads of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad