Next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Been a lot of drug shortages with the Pandemic. I know a lot of press has concentrated on PPE but things like Pharma and Airway supplies have been very scarce.

The ONLY reason why I am not stomping up and down right now to open stuff up with no regard is we need to allow the manufacturing and supply chains to open back up and get healthy. I’m more worried about that than I am people...as odd as that sounds.

I think you missed the "since last year" part of my comment. The shortage of this drug goes deeper than the pandemic

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think you missed the "since last year" part of my comment. The shortage of this drug goes deeper than the pandemic

Yes and I am saying drugs in general have been problematic so any drug treatment for Covid may be a challenge if quantities would need to be produced. So even if we do develop a drug treatment, there may be some challenges mass producing it.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With all the talks on next season let's be clear here no one really knows if/when the 2020-21 season will start or start on time, all the best available laid plans could disappear like snapping fingers.

As to what the OHL announced the other day it's no more than an open-ended glimmer of hope that the season will start somewhat on time. But make no mistake that the governors and commissioners across the CHL are walking down a road blind with no real answer to if/when hockey will return this fall waiting for a green light from the health sectors of both Canada and U.S. I'm one that would play the cautiously optimistic on a regular start date in the fall.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
With all the talks on next season let's be clear here no one really knows if/when the 2020-21 season will start or start on time, all the best available laid plans could disappear like snapping fingers.

Sorry, where was it posted that anyone did?

Reactions: Otto

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas
@JeffPassan
The Toronto Blue Jays on Thursday shut down their spring training facility in Dunedin, Fla., after a player exhibited COVID-19 symptoms, sources tell ESPN.

Dunedin is just up the road from Clearwater, where eight people in the Philadelphia Phillies organization tested positive.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
After seeing all those people packed in the lower bowl of the BOK Center in Tulsa for the president's rally, it will be very interesting to see if there is any spike in infections in the region over the next two weeks that is attributed to it.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
After seeing all those people packed in the lower bowl of the BOK Center in Tulsa for the president's rally, it will be very interesting to see if there is any spike in infections in the region over the next two weeks that is attributed to it.

It would be interesting to see if this was held in Ontario or an area that wasn't a hot spot.

We've seen a small uptick in the 20/30 aged individuals testing (assuming after the protests), but nothing that has made cases jump up and out of control, as a matter of fact the 'curve' continues to go down despite the higher increase in 20/30 year olds.

What's Tulsa like now?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think we also need to consider a lot of community positive tests right now are for asymptomatic people that are getting tested as part of certain mandatory requirements for testing... aka Job requirements etc.

Of course, asymptomatic people “may” be able to spread the virus; although, there is a lot of conflicting information regarding this and how easy or difficult it is for these people to transmit.

What I do find interesting is the numbers released by the NHL. 11 players tested positive and none had symptoms. They had tested 200 players. Considering they were supposed to be quarantined, 5% infection seems high, especially when many may have already contracted and had it cleared from their system.

I wonder how those numbers relate to the general public. I know there are a bunch of reports that suggest 35% of people that had it didn’t know.

Then you look at Florida. I don’t know what to think about that. You read one story and it is doom and gloom. You read another and they are saying many of the positive tests are asymptomatic. Apparently, at Florida’s peak, they only had something like 3.5% of hospital beds occupied by Covid patients. Who knows what to believe anymore.

I have to admit with so many media outlets pushing different agendas, it is near impossible to understand what is important and what is not. You even have a significant number of physicians that don’t agree and are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

How on Earth are any of us able to sift through all this information and make a decision that is best for us, let alone a league trying to make a decision that is best for hundreds of players and staff!

Personally, I have decided to try to stay in my own region but I am not going to do anything else other than respect rules certain establishments have in place. For example, I needed to wear a mask to get a haircut. So be it. IF a mask is optional, I choose not to wear one but I respect the distancing measures and SOP’s the establishments have in place. As things change, so will I but outside of that, I am not doing anything else to change the way I go about my day. I feel a personal need to maintain as close to normal as possible for my own sanity.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I think we also need to consider a lot of community positive tests right now are for asymptomatic people that are getting tested as part of certain mandatory requirements for testing... aka Job requirements etc.

Of course, asymptomatic people “may” be able to spread the virus; although, there is a lot of conflicting information regarding this and how easy or difficult it is for these people to transmit.

What I do find interesting is the numbers released by the NHL. 11 players tested positive and none had symptoms. They had tested 200 players. Considering they were supposed to be quarantined, 5% infection seems high, especially when many may have already contracted and had it cleared from their system.

I wonder how those numbers relate to the general public. I know there are a bunch of reports that suggest 35% of people that had it didn’t know.

Then you look at Florida. I don’t know what to think about that. You read one story and it is doom and gloom. You read another and they are saying many of the positive tests are asymptomatic. Apparently, at Florida’s peak, they only had something like 3.5% of hospital beds occupied by Covid patients. Who knows what to believe anymore.

I have to admit with so many media outlets pushing different agendas, it is near impossible to understand what is important and what is not. You even have a significant number of physicians that don’t agree and are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

How on Earth are any of us able to sift through all this information and make a decision that is best for us, let alone a league trying to make a decision that is best for hundreds of players and staff!

Personally, I have decided to try to stay in my own region but I am not going to do anything else other than respect rules certain establishments have in place. For example, I needed to wear a mask to get a haircut. So be it. IF a mask is optional, I choose not to wear one but I respect the distancing measures and SOP’s the establishments have in place. As things change, so will I but outside of that, I am not doing anything else to change the way I go about my day. I feel a personal need to maintain as close to normal as possible for my own sanity.

I think that you hit the nail on the head. We get so fixated on #s and don't look any deeper.

Oh no, there were 100 more positives...but if they are asymptomatic and there's a low percentage of spread, then is it that big of a deal? We never talk about hospitalization capacity or ventilators, yet those are probably way more important. We complain about groups and those getting together outside, yet when there is no actual numbers that support these groups didn't result in any hospital or testing spikes, we generally don't report on that.

Its interesting what we deem significant and what we deem not significant from a reporting and reaction standpoint, perhaps that's due to the lack of knowledge of the subject.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think that you hit the nail on the head. We get so fixated on #s and don't look any deeper.

Oh no, there were 100 more positives...but if they are asymptomatic and there's a low percentage of spread, then is it that big of a deal? We never talk about hospitalization capacity or ventilators, yet those are probably way more important. We complain about groups and those getting together outside, yet when there is no actual numbers that support these groups didn't result in any hospital or testing spikes, we generally don't report on that.

Its interesting what we deem significant and what we deem not significant from a reporting and reaction standpoint, perhaps that's due to the lack of knowledge of the subject.

I do think where the “marketing” of this virus has been very successful is identifying those that are more at risk. I think a lot of those at risk have managed to shelter themselves to the degree necessary. We’ve seen wayyyy too many vulnerable LTC residents get slammed hard. That is totally unfair for those people as they were left virtually defenceless.

That said, the positive of all that is if those deemed at risk manage to stay somewhat sheltered, those less at risk can be more active. I do believe there is a formula out there to protect those that are more vulnerable while allowing those less vulnerable to take much higher degrees of risk.

The reality is most countries/regions have suggested if there is a 2nd wave, they won’t lock down like the first wave. That does suggest they have some sort of plan.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Even surviving COVID-19 isn't much of a relief given the lingering and sometimes permanent aftereffects. Consider this...
What they don’t tell you about surviving COVID-19

While only a small percentage of infected people will experience these lingering symptoms and long term effects it is worth noting. This should not be dismissed as a virus that only kills the old and weak as many regard the flu. You just don't know what will happen if you get infected, or those close to you. Sure, it is a small percentage, until it hits people you know.

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas
While only a small percentage of infected people will experience these lingering symptoms and long term effects it is worth noting. This should not be dismissed as a virus that only kills the old and weak as many regard the flu. You just don't know what will happen if you get infected, or those close to you. Sure, it is a small percentage, until it hits people you know.

It's a small percentage until you get it, then it's 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad