Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Right now I have a list of 24 names that I've culled from this thread and other places:

Current NHL coaches who might become available:
1. Barry Trotz
2. Bill Peters
3. John Tortorella (from the Brooks article)

Former NHL coaches:

4. Darryl Sutter
5. Dan Bylsma
6. Dave Tippett

Current AHL coaches:

7. Sheldon Keefe-Toronto
8. Jay Leach-Providence
9. Benoit Groulx-Syracuse
10. Todd Nelson-Grand Rapids
11. Dallas Eakins-San Diego
12. Clark Donatelli-Wilkes Barre
13. Pascal Vincent-Manitoba
14. Mike Van Ryn-Tuscon

Current NHL assistants:

15. D. J. Smith-Toronto
16. Dan Muse-Nashville
17. Kris Knoblauch-Philadelphia
18. Joe Sacco-Boston

College/University coaches:

19. Jim Montgomery-Denver U.
20. Rick Bennett-Union College
21. Tony Granato-Wisconsin U.
22. David Quinn-Boston U.
23. Nate Leaman-Providence College
24. Rand Pecknold-Quinnipiac U.

CHL:

25. Philippe Boucher-Quebec (QMJHL) per Nevesis #541

Feel free to add others.

26. Scott Stevens--former asst. co. (NJ-Minn)
I'm bumping this.

Don't like any on the list. Peters would be closest but I'm not a fan at all. Has nothing resembling an offensive gameplan, and the Rangers need someone to develop their forward group I don't think it's the right fit.

Torts "makes sense" in the fact that Dolan wants to interview Woodson for the Knicks job, but been there done that. Trotz is a worse version of AV

Former NHL coaches:
Don't like any of these either. Tippett is a trap guy. Sutter is a win-now short term play. Bylsma too risky after his Buffalo stint.

Current AHL coaches:
Here is where it starts getting interesting

7. Sheldon Keefe - would stay away. May be dependent on his infrastructure.

8. Jay Leach - I like his resume.

9. Benoit Groulx - I think this is the sleeper candidate no one is talking about. Drury spent a lot of time scouting Syracuse. Has coached youth in the Canada set up. Yzerman trusts him.

10. Todd Nelson - seems like someone the Rangers would want to talk to, but not sure he is a guy that moves the needle.

11. Dallas Eakins - No

12. Clark Donatelli - This is another guy with an interesting resume.

13. Pascal Vincent - too soon

14. Mike Van Ryn - can't see it.

Current NHL assistants:
I like all these guys except Sacco. Knoblauch would actually be my top choice.

15. D. J. Smith-Toronto
16. Dan Muse-Nashville
18. Joe Sacco-Boston

The guys I don't know, like, or should take AHL or NHL assistant job category. Tough hires for NY.

19. Jim Montgomery- doesn't seem like a New York guy

20. Rick Bennett-dont know enough about

21. Tony Granato- seems like he found his level

22. David Quinn- I think he is a better recruiter than coach. That team underachieved this year was a major red flag. They had an absurd amount of talent for USCHO

23. Nate Leaman-dont know
24. Rand Pecknold-dont know

CHL:

25. Philippe Boucher-hated the system that he ran when he was in the NHL

OTHER:
26. Scott Stevens--Absolutely not, But Brooks also thought the Trottier hire was a good idea.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm bumping this.

Don't like any on the list. Peters would be closest but I'm not a fan at all. Has nothing resembling an offensive gameplan, and the Rangers need someone to develop their forward group I don't think it's the right fit.

Torts "makes sense" in the fact that Dolan wants to interview Woodson for the Knicks job, but been there done that. Trotz is a worse version of AV
Former NHL coaches:
Don't like any of these either. Tippett is a trap guy. Sutter is a win-now short term play. Bylsma too risky after his Buffalo stint.

Current AHL coaches:

9. Benoit Groulx - I think this is the sleeper candidate no one is talking about. Drury spent a lot of time scouting Syracuse. Has coached youth in the Canada set up. Yzerman trusts him.

10. Todd Nelson - seems like someone the Rangers would want to talk to, but not sure he is a guy that moves the needle.

11. Dallas Eakins - No

Current NHL assistants:

15. D. J. Smith-Toronto
16. Dan Muse-Nashville
18. Joe Sacco-Boston

The guys I don't know, like, or should take AHL or NHL assistant job category. Tough hires for NY.

22. David Quinn- I think he is a better recruiter than coach. That team underachieved this year was a major red flag. They had an absurd amount of talent for USCHO

CHL:

OTHER:
26. Scott Stevens--Absolutely not, But Brooks also thought the Trottier hire was a good idea.

Eh em, no one? I've mentioned him like three or four times in multiple threads :laugh:

Reactions: Savant

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm bumping this.

Former NHL coaches:

Current AHL coaches:

11. Dallas Eakins - No

Current NHL assistants:

15. D. J. Smith-Toronto
16. Dan Muse-Nashville
18. Joe Sacco-Boston

CHL:

OTHER:

I'd probably be looking most at the AHL coaches too. If I had a top 5 it would be all from those guys.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'd probably be looking most at the AHL coaches too. If I had a top 5 it would be all from those guys.
Leach is really interesting. Did a great job with the Bruins young forwards. Actually worked under Donatelli as well. Hope he gets an interview.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why no Granato...
Why Granato?

I think his level is where he is at now. Had some Bad losses in the playoffs. USA Olympic team was meh. Feels like he is where he should be.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Jim Montgomery says that he doesn't want to leave Denver unless its for an "incredible situation" some how means that he isn't a NY guy?

Maybe thats right, but if he were to leave Denver for the Rangers, sounds like he would have found that incredible situation.

Reactions: Miamipuck and Bozle

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Jim Montgomery says that he doesn't want to leave Denver unless its for an "incredible situation" some how means that he isn't a NY guy?

Maybe thats right, but if he were to leave Denver for the Rangers, sounds like he would have found that incredible situation.
Montgomery also was rumored to only want to leave Denver to go coach Maine. Doesn't strike me as a guy who would like to be in NY

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
New York Rangers: According to TSN's Darren Dreger, the New York Rangers have prominent college coaches in the mix for their head coach opening, including University of Denver's Jim Montgomery, Boston University's David Quinn and Minnesota-Duluth's Scott Sandelin. An NHL source confirmed with The Athletic that college coaches are in play for the Rangers job but also described the search as “very open.” Montgomery had multiple interviews with the Florida Panthers last year before removing himself from consideration to stay at Denver, telling the Denver Post at the time via text: “My family and I are very happy here.”

NHL Coaching Tracker: College coaches in play for Rangers...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I feel like I saw Carp just did an "update on the Rangers coaching search", anyone know if there were any details worth repeating in it?

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
Peters has done nothing in the past few years to make me want to hire him... their vaulted great young defense has been horrible and i dont think their youth has developed. Yes i know people will blame the goaltending...

Also the guy above's list of coaches, good list, but i think he's getting his Boucher's confused.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Peters has done nothing in the past few years to make me want to hire him... their vaulted great young defense has been horrible and i dont think their youth has developed. Yes i know people will blame the goaltending...

Also the guy above's list of coaches, good list, but i think he's getting his Boucher's confused.
Peter's is great at getting D to contribute to the offense and drive play but their D is meh and yes some of it is who's between the pipes which has been putrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad