Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Why not?

In Nashville he showed that he can grow with a team and in Washington he’s been unlucky to go against loaded Pens with subpar goaltending. His teams play hard and he’s not known as a prospects killer.

Right now Trotz is displaying all of the traits we hated AV for. He's benching his young talented players for veterans (benching Vrana for Beagel and saying Vrana needs to figure it out), over playing "grit" guys like Orpik, throwing his team under the bus, and for much of last season was on board with the "we're trying to generate higher quality scoring chances not just take shots" while running a more man on man system suspiciously like AV's.

I'm not kidding, he may very well have gone full AV lately.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Right now Trotz is displaying all of the traits we hated AV for. He's benching his young talented players for veterans (benching Vrana for Beagel and saying Vrana needs to figure it out), over playing "grit" guys like Orpik, throwing his team under the bus, and for much of last season was on board with the "we're trying to generate higher quality scoring chances not just take shots" while running a more man on man system suspiciously like AV's.

Can't find the GIFF of "MY GOD they have a madman on their hands" from Hunt for Red October

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Trotz may be worse than AV.

Dude has never been out of the second round.

It’s really something, though, that the Caps would hire a guy who notably could not get out of round 2 when they had the exact sameness problem.

What a sad franchise.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Even without this level of detail, I can't figure out how people can call AV a regular season warrior who relied on amazing goaltending when Trotz had Holtby and Rinne, AND never went beyond the 2nd round.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
I’m not as thrilled with Stevens either, I don’t think the defenses he ran were actually as good as they were perceived to be. My personal top 3 would be (in no order) Keefe, Montgomery, or Pascal Vincent. All young, ready to take the next step, and have a good track record of winning and developing players

Stevens also has the charisma and personality of a shoe. You don't motivate a team through x's and o's alone. A coach needs to get people connected and passionate about winning. Belichik is media-dull but behind the scenes he's a different guy. Stevens on TV is the antidote for insomnia. Guy is incredibly boring.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Even without this level of detail, I can't figure out how people can call AV a regular season warrior who relied on amazing goaltending when Trotz had Holtby and Rinne, AND never went beyond the 2nd round.

@Levitate response was on point. With all due respect what you wrote was nonsense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
@Levitate response was on point. With all due respect what you wrote was nonsense.

What are you talking about? Did you not understand what I wrote? I wasn't disagreeing with Levitate at all. All I was saying even if you don't go into the level of detail that he went about why Trotz is a bad coach, just look at his poor playoff results with top goalies. Something AV is being criticized for. With all due respect, before calling something what someone wrote nonsense read what they wrote.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What are you talking about? Did you not understand what I wrote? I wasn't disagreeing with Levitate at all. All I was saying even if you don't go into the level of detail that he went about why Trotz is a bad coach, just look at his poor playoff results with top goalies. Something AV is being criticized for. With all due respect, before calling something what someone wrote nonsense read what they wrote.

Holtby is not a good playoff goalie. Last year Caps were a better team than Pens if not for Holtby losing the series for them.

It was a similar situation at Nashville with Rinne. Trotz lost a few series because his team was never as good or as deep as opponents (read Chicago at their height) and Rinne was not good enough to overcome that.

So yes - I did read your original post.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Carp's latest article says that Gorton met with Ruff, and that while he is not a candidate for the head coaching gig, Gorton may leave it up to the new head coach as to whether or not Ruff stays as an assistant

And also that Keefe is not their top choice

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Holtby is not a good playoff goalie. Last year Caps were a better team than Pens if not for Holtby losing the series for them.

It was a similar situation at Nashville with Rinne. Trotz lost a few series because his team was never as good or as deep as opponents (read Chicago at their height) and Rinne was not good enough to overcome that.

So yes - I did read your original post.

Nashville wasn't deep enough but the Rangers that everyone here loves to degrade as a one man team didn't have their issues? Also, Luongo has been criticized his whole career for choking to Chicago and Boston in the playoffs. So he fits in nicely with Holtby.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Montgomery prefers to stay put, honestly don't know if this guy would want to live in NYC:

"“I don’t even know if I would leave for an NHL coaching job,” Montgomery said recently. “The ability to win and live the quality of life for my family — the quality of life of being a good husband and dad, compared to an NHL coach — factors into that, plus the fact that we’re getting the (new) locker-room done. We love living here in Colorado, and it would have to take an incredible situation to leave here. Those things don’t come around very often.”"

- Jim Montgomery
Jim Montgomery, Denver Pioneers coach, might be in demand by NHL – The Denver Post
Montgomery won't even leave Denver for another collegiate job, it has been speculated if he ever did, Orono, Maine might be at the top of that list, but JM has even rebuked that option to return to his alma mater

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Was wondering about Vegas’ assistant coaches and Ryan McGill seems like a guy who could low key be a candidate.

Good records as a head coach in junior, was coach of the Wolf Pack between 03-05 (and won 44, 50, and 48 games), and had a stint as an assistant with the Flames.

I honestly have no idea how the guy works as a coach, but I thought he was worth bringing up.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Was wondering about Vegas’ assistant coaches and Ryan McGill seems like a guy who could low key be a candidate.

Good records as a head coach in junior, was coach of the Wolf Pack between 03-05 (and won 44, 50, and 48 games), and had a stint as an assistant with the Flames.

I honestly have no idea how the guy works as a coach, but I thought he was worth bringing up.
doubtful Vegas will let anybody walk this fast....

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey guys. Leafs fan here. It seems like Sheldon Keefe is a candidate for you guys so thought I would give some info.
Here are this season's stats.

GFA: 3.34 (3rd)
1st Period GF: 71 (5th)
2nd Period GF: 77 (7th)
3rd Period GF: 101 (1st)

GAA: 2.24 (1st)
1st Period GA: 51 (3rd)
2nd Period GA: 59 (2nd)
3rd Period GA: 56 (3rd)

PP: 18.0% (14th)
Home PP: 16.0% (22nd)
Road PP: 20.1% (7th)

PK: 88.9% (1st)
Home PK: 87.5% (2nd)
Road PK: 90.2% (1st)

SFA: 31.53 (5th)
1st Period SFA: 9.57 (15th)
2nd Period SFA: 11.68 (1st)
3rd Period SFA: 9.92 (5th)

SAA: 28.41 (7th)
1st Period SAA: 9.32 (12th)
2nd Period SAA: 10.28 (19th)
3rd Period SAA: 8.55 (6th}

The Marlies are a very good defensive team that play a puck possession game.
Keefe is a very good coach. I know people have made Dallas Eakins comparisons but they arent really accurate. Anyone who watched the Marlies should have known Eakins had veteran rosters and wasnt that great.
Keefe has been very good with young players and is a big reason for the development of Travis Dermott. His handling of Timothy liljegren has been good as well.
Personallity wise, Keefe isnt a complete players coach though. He can get animated and isnt afraid to call out the team when they dont play well. Just look at his pressors of when they play well and when they dont(even if they win).
Look at this first video
The Marlies win 4-1 but Keefe is pretty upset with how they played

The next game, Marlies win 4-1 again but Keefe is much more happier with his team.

In this one, Marlies lose game 6 and have to play a game 7. They didnt play well and you can tell Keefe isnt happy.

A trend I noticed is when Keefe is upset with his team, his post game cooments become shorter.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Someone mentioned Pascal Vincent, coach of the Manitoba Moose, as a potential option. Anyone have any insight into him other than the Moose having a pretty significant turnaround under him? He replaced Keith McCambridge, current HC of the Wolf Pack.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Seriously be prepared to experience a coach playing a vet over a kid more than once in your lifetime. Don’t think there is a coach anywhere who never is questioned for that.

Also, on the generate more quality chances stuff, that is what all better teams are trying to do. The problem with AV was not that he focused on generating goals as opposed to possession and shots (like Julien, Bordeau and a few others are alone at doing in this league right now), the problem with AV was that possession dropped way to much while doing it.

AV also had a very big problem with losing momentum when playing with a lead. At times — when I checked — we were the one team in the league that differed the most in CF% between being up a goal and being down a goal. Could have been last year, I am not 100% or the year before maybe. At least at some point later in the season.

And then we naturally had too many big breakdowns defensively.

Just saying, there is a huge crowd who has blamed AV for everything for a long while. I think that is pretty delusional to be honest. There is definitely room for improvement. But there will be no easy solutions.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

**takes a drag on cigarette**

Ryan McGill? Haven't heard that name in a while.

Reactions: Bozle

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Seriously be prepared to experience a coach playing a vet over a kid more than once in your lifetime. Don’t think there is a coach anywhere who never is questioned for that.

Also, on the generate more quality chances stuff, that is what all better teams are trying to do. The problem with AV was not that he focused on generating goals as opposed to possession and shots (like Julien, Bordeau and a few others are alone at doing in this league right now), the problem with AV was that possession dropped way to much while doing it.

AV also had a very big problem with losing momentum when playing with a lead. At times — when I checked — we were the one team in the league that differed the most in CF% between being up a goal and being down a goal. Could have been last year, I am not 100% or the year before maybe. At least at some point later in the season.

And then we naturally had too many big breakdowns defensively.

Just saying, there is a huge crowd who has blamed AV for everything for a long while. I think that is pretty delusional to be honest. There is definitely room for improvement. But there will be no easy solutions.

Sometimes the moaning over a younger player's ice time gets kind of ridiculous. There are a lot of situational things that happen throughout any game where a coach is going to lean towards a veteran player. A thing that's noticeable as far as the guys with the most ice time is they play in all situations--5v5, 5v4 and 4v5 and the TOI stats reflect that. As well there are certain guys you play more in the last few minutes of a game whether you're trying to protect a lead or you're trying to tie a game and take it to overtime. Some of these guys are your all situations guys but some situations call for your more offensively creative players and some situations for your better defensive guys. For an example I'm not putting Vesey, Buchnevich or DeAngelo on the ice to kill penalites or to defend the goal in the last couple minutes if I can help it.....just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad