Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
eco- Yeah exactly. And I think it’s very important that you let a player gradually grow into a role as he matures and becomes ready to handle that role.

The worst you can do is throw a kid into the NHL, let him play 40 games, and then sit down and note how he isn’t ready when it comes to X, Y and Z and demote him to the AHL when his confidence has been ruined. You should error on the side of caution.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Sometimes the moaning over a younger player's ice time gets kind of ridiculous. There are a lot of situational things that happen throughout any game where a coach is going to lean towards a veteran player. A thing that's noticeable as far as the guys with the most ice time is they play in all situations--5v5, 5v4 and 4v5 and the TOI stats reflect that. As well there are certain guys you play more in the last few minutes of a game whether you're trying to protect a lead or you're trying to tie a game and take it to overtime. Some of these guys are your all situations guys but some situations call for your more offensively creative players and some situations for your better defensive guys. For an example I'm not putting Vesey, Buchnevich or DeAngelo on the ice to kill penalites or to defend the goal in the last couple minutes if I can help it.....just saying.

Most of them never played even on a low level competitive team.

Otherwise, those decisions would be pretty obvious.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Most of them never played even on a low level competitive team.

Otherwise, those decisions would be pretty obvious.

Hey I played on low level competitive teams otherwise known as beer league teams......you'd might get some of the same complaining from some of them guys too.....there are guys whose first concern is the ice time they paid for and winning comes after that. I never minded being on the second pair or second line on a 10-11 player team if it was a good team that won a lot......but that's because losing pisses me off and also because it always seemed to me that you worked a lot harder on a bad team than on a good one because people were always out of position and chasing around more.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Rangers HC job should be a dream situation for most any coach. No doubt the coach will have a good amount of rope and plenty of support from the organization in all respects.
Obviously NY has built-in pitfalls but also amazing upside. In the NHL, probably second only to Toronto (Montreal is jaded by now :).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
eco- Yeah exactly. And I think it’s very important that you let a player gradually grow into a role as he matures and becomes ready to handle that role.

The worst you can do is throw a kid into the NHL, let him play 40 games, and then sit down and note how he isn’t ready when it comes to X, Y and Z and demote him to the AHL when his confidence has been ruined. You should error on the side of caution.

Got to put younger players in situations where they'll thrive. Gradually you want a player to get to the point where he can handle other situations. There are guys on the Rangers who are not smart enough defensively or too easy to work off the puck that you don't want them on your penalty kill.

Reactions: Ola

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Seriously be prepared to experience a coach playing a vet over a kid more than once in your lifetime. Don’t think there is a coach anywhere who never is questioned for that.

Also, on the generate more quality chances stuff, that is what all better teams are trying to do. The problem with AV was not that he focused on generating goals as opposed to possession and shots (like Julien, Bordeau and a few others are alone at doing in this league right now), the problem with AV was that possession dropped way to much while doing it.

AV also had a very big problem with losing momentum when playing with a lead. At times — when I checked — we were the one team in the league that differed the most in CF% between being up a goal and being down a goal. Could have been last year, I am not 100% or the year before maybe. At least at some point later in the season.

And then we naturally had too many big breakdowns defensively.

Just saying, there is a huge crowd who has blamed AV for everything for a long while. I think that is pretty delusional to be honest. There is definitely room for improvement. But there will be no easy solutions.

My point was that Trotz has been coaching almost exactly like AV for the past year and if everyone hates AV why would they be OK with Trotz.

I think Trotz is an "eh" coach. They could do worse, easily, but for this situation they could do better IMO.

Reactions: Ola

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Hey I played on low level competitive teams otherwise known as beer league teams......you'd might get some of the same complaining from some of them guys too.....there are guys whose first concern is the ice time they paid for and winning comes after that. I never minded being on the second pair or second line on a 10-11 player team if it was a good team that won a lot......but that's because losing pisses me off and also because it always seemed to me that you worked a lot harder on a bad team than on a good one because people were always out of position and chasing around more.

Having to spend the bus trip in the bathroom for blown coverage is character building

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW---do I think Trotz is a terrible coach?--not really. Do I want the Rangers to hire him?--I don't think so. I think we would do better to go with someone younger and I think we don't necessarily need a guy who's been banging around the NHL for years and I'd like a younger coach than Trotz and I don't think this team that is going through a retooling needs a coach like Trotz who's been working mostly with vets including a number of elite players. I'd like more of a teaching kind of coach who has an idea of how he wants his team to play and who can work with or work in younger players and prospects or at least be more willing to do that than say an established coach who is used to working with vets and elite players. I don't think Trotz, Vigneault and maybe not even Quenneville are the kinds of coaches we should be looking at.

Reactions: N9Y4R

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Do you think John Tortorella is available if CBJ lose the 1st round with an exit over the Caps this year?
I trust his defensive system if he can manage to coach the team without going out of fuel, gas end of the season which happened in the past when he was coaching Rangers years ago.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Do you think John Tortorella is available if CBJ lose the 1st round with an exit over the Caps this year?
I trust his defensive system if he can manage to coach the team without going out of fuel, gas end of the season which happened in the past when he was coaching Rangers years ago.

1. Billy Martin has already been done.
2. He's a pr*ck bastard. Team will turn on him sooner rather than later.
3. Is that really the personality type you want? F*** that.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, he is strict, but he knows hockey and won a cup earlier. :)

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Yes, he is strict, but he knows hockey and won a cup earlier. :)

Don't think 'strict' is the right word. This isn't a 6th grade classroom where the teacher is strict. This guy is an insecure Napoleon complex bloodsucker who has worn out his welcome everywhere he's been. F*** him.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don’t think he’s left that problem behind, seems to be the case with Columbus the past few season as well

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I doubt they let an unknown coach who just finished the coaching course be the head coach in MSG, and Darryl Sutter here is not a good option, nor is Lindy Ruff good enough candidate to be a head coach.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Don't think 'strict' is the right word. This isn't a 6th grade classroom where the teacher is strict. This guy is an insecure Napoleon complex bloodsucker who has worn out his welcome everywhere he's been. F*** him.

You are out to lunch here.
And no I don't want him as our next coach, but likely for other reasons than yours.

I have no problem with how Torts has acted behind the bench in the past 2 or so years, and even before that, when his supposed Napoleon complex gave people as yourself coronaries, I was fine with the things hes said and done. For the most part. I prefer my coach to lead with fire. We all know how lousy the Rangers have responded to adversity the past years. Looking back I still prefer Torts over AV, but overall we just need to move on.

But yeah, your personal attacks on Torts make you sound very bitter, especially given the fact that he is a class A human being off the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bozle

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/range...utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

“We need a coach who is going to be able to coordinate with the assistants and the training staff in putting a program in place. He’s going to have to be able to delegate authority in identifying deficiencies and fixing them. Scolding a player doesn’t fix the problem. He can’t try to do everything by himself. The job is just too big.”

Dolan said the team is open-minded to hiring someone without NHL coaching experience, though he believes the job would be more challenging for an individual who hasn’t served as even an NHL team’s assistant.

“I think having some experience on NHL ice is valuable, but that will be up to Jeff,” Dolan said, referring to general manager Jeff Gorton. “We want to get the best guy. I don’t care where he comes from. We’ve got a list of candidates, but it’s not closed.”

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Uwe Krupp

Here's another name I haven't seen mentioned yet. Maybe some German posters or those that follow the DEL closely can tell us a bit about his coaching style and how he is woth younger players.

Uwe Krupp would be an interesting option for several reasons, granted, most of those reasons are novelty related, at keast to me.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Uwe Krupp

Here's another name I haven't seen mentioned yet. Maybe some German posters or those that follow the DEL closely can tell us a bit about his coaching style and how he is woth younger players.

Uwe Krupp would be an interesting option for several reasons, granted, most of those reasons are novelty related, at keast to me.
Also Marco sturm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad