Next players to conveniently go on LTIR for the rest of their contract?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Pretty funny how people still think Hossa's medical issue is fake & the team is circumventing the cap.

I imagine Marleau will be building a cottage on Robidas Island in year 3 of his contract :naughty:

I don't think people are questioning the validity of the issue...it's a valid thing. I think people(myself included) are only questioning the timing of it. It's pretty amazing that he was able to withstand all the pain and sacrifice and everything else accompanying this condition to continue playing for $5 million a year. And this issue just became WAY too much to handle and the sacrifice WAY too great the minute that $5 million becomes $1 million.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
you have no point, shrug all you want, I just proved how stupid comments like yours are as it benefits the Hawks NONE for Hossa to not play...it actually hurt us, but keep with yet another false narrative on HF.

Awesome. Thanks for allowing me to shrug and continue to have my own thoughts. Nice to know I have your approval, despite that I disagree with you.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
What?

Preds are absoulute ****ed with cap-recapture penalty. They are praying Weber either retires as soon as possible, or plays out the whole contact (LOL).

If retires with 1 year left on his deal, they get hit a 24M cap penalty, 2 years, its 14, 3 years, its 7.. lol.

And if your trying to make yourself feel better and saying the NHL will cut teams a break, now that the NHL asked for this to be put in during the last lockout to punish the teams that did those types of deal.

I mean a more realistic solution for them would be to acquire Weber those late years and putting him on LTIR to avoid the penalty.

It's going to change in the new CBA. Nhl won't allow it do happen. He'll be LTIR'd or the penalty gets changed.

Reactions: Devonator

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if insurance companies are eyeballing these contracts with skepticism more now. As fans we can sit here and snipe with good humor but if youre dropping 7 digits for a "Im totally gonna play this out *wink*" You gotta believe they are looking at these closely. I would have to imagine if it wasn't for the the CBA forcing them to stop these deals that encouraged early LTIR retirement then it would be the insurance agencies refusing to cover them that would.
It really depends who is paying out the contract? That was my question during the whole lupul situation. His salary was high enough around $5 million for the leafs to get insurance to cover it, but if he’s not 100% legit where the insurance company would fight it, then it would look bad on the leafs. So, did Toronto just pay lupul themselves and not go through insurance?

Given the back diving deals, there is minimal money for most guys at the tail end of their contracts. So, might not be worth the hassle for the teams to deal with insurance on the matter and this raise their rates.

As for the next guys, expect Zetterberg and Luongo. Luongo has gone from 60 starts in 15-16 down to 40 plus and around 40 these pst 2 years with LBI. Expect them to go down. Praise, enough injuries to end up on Ltir.

Weber, no impact on the Habs if he retires early. Don’t get why so many here don’t get that. Habs over first 6 years pay him $48 million and eat cap hit of just over $47 million. So if he retires they are only on the hook for $200k of recapture for 4 years. It is Nashville that would get $6 million charged to them.

Fully expect both Lu and Weber to be dealt back to van and Nash so that they will pay them the rest of their retirement contract to avoid the recapture penalty.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
It's going to change in the new CBA. Nhl won't allow it do happen. He'll be LTIR'd or the penalty gets changed.

This rule was put in during the last CBA.. Just saying it will change won't make it happen, it would be like saying the NHL will change the max 8 year deal rule... both based on nothing.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Yep, a $24M recapture penalty is potentially franchise-killing as the Preds would have to clean house pretty much completely and they would lose a ton of attraction. The league certainly doesn't want that.

Reactions: Devonator

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably going to be even more common with all the talented youth pushing some of these over the hill big money players out. Complacency in sport is a real thing, especially if there's an injury history. Insurance companies must hate the NHL and their guaranteed contracts.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yep, a $24M recapture penalty is potentially franchise-killing as the Preds would have to clean house pretty much completely and they would lose a ton of attraction. The league certainly doesn't want that.

plus even horton, savard and pronger didn't "retire". Weber isn't giving up his money, he'll be LTIR'd if needed

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I literally just don't care that people think Weber is a great defenseman. The evidence doesn't show that he is ever since he and Suter were broken up.

Actually no.... the evidence shows the opposite

AST Record - 7,2,2,10,6
Norris Record - 8,3,4,10,6

He had his best offensive seasons after Suter left. His hits stayed at about the same level, he started blocking more shots.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This rule was put in during the last CBA.. Just saying it will change won't make it happen, it would be like saying the NHL will change the max 8 year deal rule... both based on nothing.

The NHL also took away New Jersey's 1st round pick "sometime in the next 4 years" for the Kovalachuk signing they veto'd. Than "shockingly" gave the draft pick back the year New Jersey couldn't defer anymore.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
The NHL also took away New Jersey's 1st round pick "sometime in the next 4 years" for the Kovalachuk signing they veto'd. Than "shockingly" gave the draft pick back the year New Jersey couldn't defer anymore.

I guess if that is what the Preds are hoping for. Okay..

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
League would step in. Either extend the time or give them a pass cuz the preds were pretty much forced to sign it or lose suter and Weber . The nhl isn't going to cripple one of its more successful expansion teams.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
League would step in. Either extend the time or give them a pass cuz the preds were pretty much forced to sign it or lose suter and Weber . The nhl isn't going to cripple one of its more successful expansion teams.
What is more likely is that the preds reacquire Weber and ltir him if he doesn’t want to play th final 4 years for a total of $6 million after making over $125 million by then.

Montreal, once Weber plays 6 years for them would only be on the hook for $800k or so of recapture to be allocated over 4 years which is nothing. So for the Habs no issue if Weber were to retire. So, why not let the pred pay him that $6 million to avoid penalty.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Docs are professionals, so are the players you would agree then. How is Weber going "conveniently go on LTIR for the rest of {his} contract", if is healthy then, guy has rarely missed any time due to injury throughout his career. How is he going to make it to his dream job of being ambassador of beer delivery?

Do not confuse the term professional with doctor's and players.

Players don't take oaths to uphold morals and values..... Have some respect for the doctor's please.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I forgot about Hossa. I am glad the Blackhawks sucked this year, that was garbage.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Doctor's are professionals and I don't think they sign off on this because it benefits the team. They sign off because playing hockey in the NHL require's a level of health that's quite difficult to prove. Weber could claim injury for a number of reasons and they'd have a hard time disproving them is my point. Let alone risking lawsuits from the player or NHLPA. It just naturally hard to prove someone is fit and capable of playing in the NHL.

Once again I don't know of a single player who retired while on contract due to injury. They always retire after as far as I know.
My gut tells me if you retire.. kiss your contract goodbye.. injury or not. What's the point of retiring unless you get a better job offer?

And once again. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Weber went on permanent IR and became the Nashville ambassador of beer delivery that somehow goes and watches other teams play and spends a suspicious amount of time talking to the d men on the farm. Then assume a role in operations once his contract expires.
A White House Doctor basically called Trump the healthiest man in America, and another spewed similar garbage. A doctor fed Ben Jonson PED's illegally. They just stuck a guy in jail forever at Michigan state for his actions. I could go on, and on. You can always find a doctor to say something if you look hard enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad