Next players to conveniently go on LTIR for the rest of their contract?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Pretty funny how people still think Hossa's medical issue is fake & the team is circumventing the cap.

I imagine Marleau will be building a cottage on Robidas Island in year 3 of his contract :naughty:

None of us will ever know for sure whether it's the truth or not.

BUT .. even the least skeptical person ever has to give at least a moment of pause on the timing.

It might be real. Might be fair. But the timing of it doesn't pass the smell test.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
LOOL at people saying Weber. Atleast do some research before posting.

Only reason Weber would go on LTIR instead of retire is to help the Preds, and why would he do that?

When Weber retires early when his actually pay is like 1M, all the cap penalty's are going to Nashville, nothing to Mtl, its actually better for Mtl that he retires at that point then go in LTIR..

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
meh NHL players are proud and Lucic has been healthy throughout his career so i doubt that will happen. Chiarelli and Edmondon are stuck with that contract
Meh, he could develop an allergy to his equipment...also known as cap-circumvitis...Chicago knows all about that one.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Earlier this year it looked like Parise would be there as early as next season. Before his surgery the guy couldn't even sit down properly; there was at least one incident where he had to walk around the table when he and his wife went out to eat.

The surgery seems to have helped immensely, so we'll see how long that extends things. I still think he's a candidate to legitimately end up on LTIR before his contract ends though.

Reactions: Devonator

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
LOOL at people saying Weber. Atleast do some research before posting.

Only reason Weber would go on LTIR instead of retire is to help the Preds, and why would he do that?

When Weber retires early when his actually pay is like 1M, all the cap penalty's are going to Nashville, nothing to Mtl, its actually better for Mtl that he retires at that point then go in LTIR..
I'm still saying Weber is a for sure. Why retire when you can get paid to be on IR?
A million bucks is a million bucks. It's inevitable imo.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
As an Oiler fan I'm expecting Lucic but not for another year or two if he continues to struggle.
LOL.

This is gonna get interesting.

giphy.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He was 6th in Norris voting last year. (That's higher than any Rangers d-man since Leetch btw)

He's still effective.
Girardi was 6th in Norris voting in 2012. There goes the validity of Norris voting. Watch it fly!

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I'm still saying Weber is a for sure. Why retire when you can get paid to be on IR?
A million bucks is a million bucks. It's inevitable imo.

To be put on LTIR the team doctor would have to sign off. In most of these cases of players on LTIR, while there is some sort of injury, its to the teams benefit. In this case there is no benefit for Mtl.

In terms of the money for Weber, after making over 125M over his career, if Weber really wanted that money, he would still retire due to injury, and the insurance company will pay him out. Ex Bryan Berard early in his career.

But keep saying Weber is for sure lol

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Is hossa’s medical issue really an excuse or is it legitimate? Im sure they must have had doctors signing off on how severe it was.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
To be put on LTIR the team doctor would have to sign off. In most of these cases of players on LTIR, while there is some sort of injury, its to the teams benefit. In this case there is no benefit for Mtl.

In terms of the money for Weber, after making over 125M over his career, if Weber really wanted that money, he would still retire due to injury, and the insurance company will pay him out. Ex Bryan Berard early in his career.

But keep saying Weber is for sure lol

I don't think it's that hard to get a team doctor to sign off so not sure where you're going with this.

Bryan Berard retired after his contract expired. I can't think of a player who up and decided to retire due to Injury before his contract expired and was magically compensated by the teams insurance policy. Players don't insure their own contracts.. they're guaranteed.

So I'll keep saying Weber until someone provides a real quality reason as to why it's worth his while to give up those 1 million a year salaries.

The only thing I could think of is if he want's to retire and abort the contract to take up a position with the team.
But history points that the players just work for free until their contracts expire and then assume a role...... perhaps with Nashville?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think it's that hard to get a team doctor to sign off so not sure where you're going with this.

Bryan Berard retired after his contract expired. I can't think of a player who up and decided to retire due to Injury before his contract expired and was magically compensated by the teams insurance policy. Players don't insure their own contracts.. they're guaranteed.

So I'll keep saying Weber until someone provides a real quality reason as to why it's worth his while to give up those 1 million a year salaries.

The only thing I could think of is if he want's to retire and abort the contract to take up a position with the team.
But history points that the players just work for free until their contracts expire and then assume a role...... perhaps with Nashville?

Its not hard to get a team doctor to sign off because if most of the cases we have seen, the players being put on LTIR is for the benefit on the team. In this case it wouldn't be. Why would the Mtl doctor sign off if the player isn't really hurt?

I'm not insurance lawyers, but there is a difference in simply retiring, and retiring due to a career ending injury. I believe if you get a career ending injury while playing, you'll be paid your money and could possible get more on any future earnings.

In the case of Savard, Pronger, those guys I believe would have gotten their money regardless, the reason they didn't official retire was to benefit their teams cap wise.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Zetterberg pretty much confirmed next season is his last. Plus his ailment isn't as much of a stretch as some, he's had quite a few back injuries including a herniated disk.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Luongo given the drastic drop in his base salary for the last 3 years of his contract. I see him playing one more season and then going on LTIR, which wouldn't be that disingenuous given his hip problems.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
The Godwin's law for "x finished xth in Norris voting" supercedes it.

I had a whole post of absurd Norris votes and only one of them was Girardi, but I can't find it. I remember that Adrian Aucoin has gotten a handful of first place Norris votes.

That post would be very interesting. It does reveal the hockey dinosaurs when they are voting for Adrian Aucoin over Keith Yandle or OEL (I forgot who he was paired with) on that Coyotes team.

Reactions: Machinehead

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Girardi was 6th in Norris voting in 2012. There goes the validity of Norris voting. Watch it fly!

Heres a crazy idea that you may not get - sometimes, players, even middling ones like Girardi, have great seasons which results in recognition (and big contracts) hence the Norris votes - and then gasp! They regress afterwards.

Now elite players like Weber usually have many of these good seasons and continue to have them, even in their 30s.

:facepalm:

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Heres a crazy idea that you may not get - sometimes, players, even middling ones like Girardi, have great seasons which results in recognition (and big contracts) hence the Norris votes - and then gasp! They regress afterwards.

Now elite players like Weber usually have many of these good seasons and continue to have them, even in their 30s.

:facepalm:
Here's another crazy idea - bad players get nominations because all you need is a journalism degree to vote on the Norris.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Its not hard to get a team doctor to sign off because if most of the cases we have seen, the players being put on LTIR is for the benefit on the team. In this case it wouldn't be. Why would the Mtl doctor sign off if the player isn't really hurt?

I'm not insurance lawyers, but there is a difference in simply retiring, and retiring due to a career ending injury. I believe if you get a career ending injury while playing, you'll be paid your money and could possible get more on any future earnings.

In the case of Savard, Pronger, those guys I believe would have gotten their money regardless, the reason they didn't official retire was to benefit their teams cap wise.

Doctor's are professionals and I don't think they sign off on this because it benefits the team. They sign off because playing hockey in the NHL require's a level of health that's quite difficult to prove. Weber could claim injury for a number of reasons and they'd have a hard time disproving them is my point. Let alone risking lawsuits from the player or NHLPA. It just naturally hard to prove someone is fit and capable of playing in the NHL.

Once again I don't know of a single player who retired while on contract due to injury. They always retire after as far as I know.
My gut tells me if you retire.. kiss your contract goodbye.. injury or not. What's the point of retiring unless you get a better job offer?

And once again. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Weber went on permanent IR and became the Nashville ambassador of beer delivery that somehow goes and watches other teams play and spends a suspicious amount of time talking to the d men on the farm. Then assume a role in operations once his contract expires.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Doctor's are professionals and I don't think they sign off on this because it benefits the team. They sign off because playing hockey in the NHL require's a level of health that's quite difficult to prove. Weber could claim injury for a number of reasons and they'd have a hard time disproving them is my point. Let alone risking lawsuits from the player or NHLPA. It just naturally hard to prove someone is fit and capable of playing in the NHL.

Once again I don't know of a single player who retired while on contract due to injury. They always retire after as far as I know.
My gut tells me if you retire.. kiss your contract goodbye.. injury or not. What's the point of retiring unless you get a better job offer?

And once again. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Weber went on permanent IR and became the Nashville ambassador of beer delivery that somehow goes and watches other teams play and spends a suspicious amount of time talking to the d men on the farm. Then assume a role in operations once his contract expires.

Docs are professionals, so are the players you would agree then. How is Weber going "conveniently go on LTIR for the rest of {his} contract", if is healthy then, guy has rarely missed any time due to injury throughout his career. How is he going to make it to his dream job of being ambassador of beer delivery?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad