Next players to conveniently go on LTIR for the rest of their contract?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
meh NHL players are proud and Lucic has been healthy throughout his career so i doubt that will happen. Chiarelli and Edmondon are stuck with that contract

Reactions: Voight and Avs44

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Once Price is paid off in signing bonuses, he’ll likely retire with a couple of seasons left and with the injury history, probably won’t be hard to find an excuse to get him on LTIR to give him the insurance money after watching Hossa come out with an “allergy to equipment.”

Reactions: Hennessy

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yup. “Back issues” will be the excuse...which is partially/enough true for the league to once again let teams off the hook for their cap circumventing contracts.
I think its mostly cuz he said he was going to do it. Is why he is who I would put money on going into ltirireterment

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I wonder if insurance companies are eyeballing these contracts with skepticism more now. As fans we can sit here and snipe with good humor but if youre dropping 7 digits for a "Im totally gonna play this out *wink*" You gotta believe they are looking at these closely. I would have to imagine if it wasn't for the the CBA forcing them to stop these deals that encouraged early LTIR retirement then it would be the insurance agencies refusing to cover them that would.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
I wonder if insurance companies are eyeballing these contracts with skepticism more now. As fans we can sit here and snipe with good humor but if youre dropping 7 digits for a "Im totally gonna play this out *wink*" You gotta believe they are looking at these closely. I would have to imagine if it wasn't for the the CBA forcing them to stop these deals that encouraged early LTIR retirement then it would be the insurance agencies refusing to cover them that would.

Probably see an increase in rates for every team. Imagine some teams won't be to happy with the extra costs and will push for it to stop, maybe implement more amnesty buyouts?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I’m sure some of the LTIRetirements aren’t covered by insurance, simply because the remaining contract amounts became too small to insure or the team didn’t want to go through challenges from the insurance company.

For example I think it’s highly unlikely Hossa’s remaining contract is insured—he only had 4x$1m remaining Likewise I wouldn’t be shocked if Lupul’s contract wasn’t insured, or the Leafs didn’t want to file an insurance claim. We already know the Horton contract wasn’t insured.

For any not familiar with the contract insurance NHL group policy, not every player/contract on a team is insured.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yup. “Back issues” will be the excuse...which is partially/enough true for the league to once again let teams off the hook for their cap circumventing contracts.

Umm, when he signed that deal, it was very much allowed. They went back on about 15 deals and made them illegal.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Brent Burns is signed at 8 million until age 40. He could be a candidate depending on when he starts to regress a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad