Next players to conveniently go on LTIR for the rest of their contract?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Zetterberg is likely to be a candidate, maybe even Kronwall.

Kronwall will definitely play out the last year remaining on his contract

Zetterberg is going to have a tough time coming up with an excuse. He admitted his contract was cap circumventing and that he probably won't play it out, plus he's currently having the healthiest stretch of his career.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Zetterberg is going to have a tough time coming up with an excuse. He admitted his contract was cap circumventing and that he probably won't play it out, plus he's currently having the healthiest stretch of his career.

In a league where you can get LTIR'ed by saying, "My gear makes me itchy" you don't think a guy who legitimately needed back surgery from sitting on a plane too long can get LTIR'ed?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Like the rest of the great defensemen that played into their late 30's, who were all 6'9.

How many of those were playing like an 8 million dollar defenseman at 40? Lidstrom and Chelios?

Weber isn't big or skilled enough to lose a lot of mobility and still play like a top pairing guy.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How many of those were playing like an 8 million dollar defenseman at 40? Lidstrom and Chelios?

Weber isn't big or skilled enough to lose a lot of mobility and still play like a top pairing guy.
There is a difference between not living up to your cap hit but still being an effective player and being ltir/buyout worthy.

That said, i wouldn't be surprised to see Weber not play out his final 3 three years due to low salary alone.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
There is a difference between not living up to your cap hit but still being an effective player and being ltir/buyout worthy.

That said, i wouldn't be surprised to see Weber not play out his final 3 three years due to low salary alone.

I mean my former GM gave him that deal and I love him as a player, was just explaining the rationale. He'll be an LTIR on some cap floor team in 2022.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

If Hossa can be allergic to his equipment, I'm sure DET can come up with an excuse for Zetterberg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pretty funny how people still think Hossa's medical issue is fake & the team is circumventing the cap.

I imagine Marleau will be building a cottage on Robidas Island in year 3 of his contract :naughty:

Reactions: Pure

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I totally expect Weber to "skip" a few years at the end of his contract.

But what I don't understand is people thinking there won't be any player to do so BEFORE he does. I mean... Andrew Ladd and Andrew Shaw are both really obvious calls here (for different reasons), who are signficantly likelier to get there much before Weber (one could always argue that they'd be candidates to such as move as soon as 2018-2019!)... And it's not like I perused the list of the NHL past first name "Andrew".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad