Next players to conveniently go on LTIR for the rest of their contract?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm still saying Weber is a for sure. Why retire when you can get paid to be on IR?
A million bucks is a million bucks. It's inevitable imo.

Montreal would probably prefer Weber retire and then pay him a mil in a front office role. That way they don't have to deal with figuring out if he's eligible for LTIR and don't have to deal with the negative cap implications of him being on LTIR.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
None of us will ever know for sure whether it's the truth or not.

BUT .. even the least skeptical person ever has to give at least a moment of pause on the timing.

It might be real. Might be fair. But the timing of it doesn't pass the smell test.
sure we do, it gave the Hawks ZERO relief for prior to this season. When a player goes on LTIR you cannot use that space until the season starts, and with the Hawks who lost Hossa, we still had to be under the cap including him to start the year, so what the hell good did it do? What good is it doing now? We have to be under the cap with his cap hit this coming year as well...

it is such a joke that people think the Hawks wanted this with Hossa, he was coming off a strong year and then this happens and it crushed our group - when you can't use the damn LTIR space from said player until the season starts, ya know after free agency, pretty little benefits to it especially in the Hawks case. It is legit, plain and simple, and has hurt the Hawks far worse than it possibly could have helped.

Reactions: Voight

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
sure we do, it gave the Hawks ZERO relief for prior to this season. When a player goes on LTIR you cannot use that space until the season starts, and with the Hawks who lost Hossa, we still had to be under the cap including him to start the year, so what the hell good did it do? What good is it doing now? We have to be under the cap with his cap hit this coming year as well...

it is such a joke that people think the Hawks wanted this with Hossa, he was coming off a strong year and then this happens and it crushed our group - when you can't use the damn LTIR space from said player until the season starts, ya know after free agency, pretty little benefits to it especially in the Hawks case. It is legit, plain and simple, and has hurt the Hawks far worse than it possibly could have helped.

*shrug* I don't really care if it's true or not. My point was merely, on the surface, it's a bit stinky. If you disagree, that's fine.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Bouwmeester

Bouwmeester has one year left on his contract...

What am I missing? Are the Blues in RFA hell right now?

I'm being genuine, not sarcastic. He seems like prime trade bait at the TDL if the Blues are looking like they'll miss the playoffs again next season.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Bouwmeester has one year left on his contract...

What am I missing? Are the Blues in RFA hell right now?

I'm being genuine, not sarcastic. He seems like prime trade bait at the TDL if the Blues are looking like they'll miss the playoffs again next season.
Could use his 5M off the books sooner rather than later. He is starting to break down.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Montreal would probably prefer Weber retire and then pay him a mil in a front office role. That way they don't have to deal with figuring out if he's eligible for LTIR and don't have to deal with the negative cap implications of him being on LTIR.

Agreed. The only way the Weber contract hurts the preds is if something bad happens to him in the next 2 seasons prior to the next lockout.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Nice strawman
It's not a strawman.

Webers been in the top ten in Norris voting basically every year since he's been established as a top pairing d. 9 straight years of top ten finishes before this season to be exact.

If votes for him are bogus, what makes the votes for the "good" defenseman legitimate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Sure they'd prefer he did that but he is not coughing up all that money owed to him.

Nice strawman

You can admit your wrong any time now.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
*shrug* I don't really care if it's true or not. My point was merely, on the surface, it's a bit stinky. If you disagree, that's fine.
you have no point, shrug all you want, I just proved how stupid comments like yours are as it benefits the Hawks NONE for Hossa to not play...it actually hurt us, but keep with yet another false narrative on HF.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Sure they'd prefer he did that but he is not coughing up all that money owed to him.

You can admit your wrong any time now.

He's not going to cough up 3 million over 3 years for a job that would pay him 3 million over 3 years? Especially if Montreal can force him to play in the AHL if his game really falls off?

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
The contracts that were set up with the last couple years earning $1 m are probably good bets.

I think Zetterberg will end up not playing the last two years on his contract after next year.

The same can be said about Weber for his last 3 years, but that's not for 5/6 years from now, IMO he'll still be pretty good and worth most of his cap hit until then.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's not a strawman.

Webers been in the top ten in Norris voting basically every year since he's been established as a top pairing d. 9 straight years of top ten finishes before this season to be exact.

If votes for him are bogus, what makes the votes for the "good" defenseman legitimate?

I literally just don't care that people think Weber is a great defenseman. The evidence doesn't show that he is ever since he and Suter were broken up.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pretty funny how people still think Hossa's medical issue is fake & the team is circumventing the cap.

I imagine Marleau will be building a cottage on Robidas Island in year 3 of his contract :naughty:
I don't think anyone thinks that it is "fake", but most realize that it isn't actually a new issue for him. He didn't just develop this allergy overnight, its a convenient excuse to not have him play and drop his cap hit. Really, most have known that this cap hit would be buried and hidden from the moment that contract was signed, so them actually doing it just confirms what most people thought.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Kyle Okposo and he actually has documented concussion issues. He should just hang them up. He should play two more seasons, retire after 2019-2020 when he will be 32 years old and having earned $28 of his $42 mil over 4 years. If he plays two more seasons he earns 2/3rds of his contract in 4/7 seasons. With only $14 mil of real money left his last 3 years of his deal and with a young family and concussion issues then it would be prudent to retire with your health and the majority of that Big contract.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I doubt it would be Montreal's problem cuz usually these guys end up on some bottom feeder that wants to cheat the salary floor, like Arizona.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I doubt it would be Montreal's problem cuz usually these guys end up on some bottom feeder that wants to cheat the salary floor, like Arizona.

Maybe, but Montreal also doesn't have to worry about cap-recapture, so they don't need to pay a team to take the cap hit.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hawks didn't face recapture with Hossa under LTIR. Far more preferable and get a benefit of over 5 million AAV relief with 1 million in salary. Yes it was in the cards and Hossa didn't want to play for 1 million. Save the BS, Hawks got a benefit for not redoing the contract when asked to do so. They rolled the dice and Hossa played ball by not retiring.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Agreed. The only way the Weber contract hurts the preds is if something bad happens to him in the next 2 seasons prior to the next lockout.

What?

Preds are absoulute f***ed with cap-recapture penalty. They are praying Weber either retires as soon as possible, or plays out the whole contact (LOL).

If retires with 1 year left on his deal, they get hit a 24M cap penalty, 2 years, its 14, 3 years, its 7.. lol.

And if your trying to make yourself feel better and saying the NHL will cut teams a break, now that the NHL asked for this to be put in during the last lockout to punish the teams that did those types of deal.

I mean a more realistic solution for them would be to acquire Weber those late years and putting him on LTIR to avoid the penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad