Next perennial bottom feeder

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Ok, granted the Pens probably still have a couple good years left. But I'll put it in my calendar for, let's say 2023 - tell Cellee on HF "I told you so" about the Pens going into a full-scale long-term rebuild.

If you think a team.will still be good for the next few years but worry about the age of a few players, you may want to rethink your position. Rarely do well run organizations stay stagnate.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Btw, the Hawks are only going to be bad for a year or two more at most because they already have a young core in the organization and a top 10 farm system. They need a shutdown D to emerge and they'll be right back to contender status.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Surprised at some of the responses here. It's hard for me to see teams like LA and Chicago, who have some blue chip prospects, as being part of the conversation

Reactions: Telos

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think in these cases your safest bet is teams that are consistently bad, such as Arizona, Edmonton, Florida, Buffalo

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burns is already on the wrong side of 30, Karlsson will be 30 next year but seems to have regressed a little bit and the long term outlook of his contract does not look great.

Meier is the only one of their forwards under 30 that you could build a team around, the other guys are good players but nothing special.

Karlsson will be fine. He's always been a slow starter for his standards. Hertl and Meier are both guys that they can and are building around. I think it's reasonable to say in any given year that the Sharks may miss the playoffs but it's just wishful thinking to think that they will be a perennial bottom feeder. They will not miss the playoffs for consecutive years even when Burns and Karlsson actually get over the hill. Not until DW is finally gone.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
SJS and MIN are the obvious choices. Either have no prospects/picks to replenish from going for it, or 2 terrible contracts that restrict cap space and poor drafting.

SJ atleast has a few good young players like Couture Meier etc, but that Karlsson contract at his age is rough.

Dark Horse candidate Senators because of ownership. Will scare away good coaching candidate, as so far this year albeit early, the Sabres are showing how much coaching matters.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sharks are in a bad spot. Yeah they made the playoffs and the zebras helped them go deep but this team is in trouble. They gave up the most goals against of any playoff team and had to out score their problems defensively and in net by being the highest scoring team in the west 2nd highest overall. They let their top goal scorer and captain walk. Their top 2 D are both pure offence and struggle defensively and their goaltending is not good. Add to that an aging core of players saddled to big money long term deals and they are in for a world of hurt.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Burns is already on the wrong side of 30, Karlsson will be 30 next year but seems to have regressed a little bit and the long term outlook of his contract does not look great.

Meier is the only one of their forwards under 30 that you could build a team around, the other guys are good players but nothing special.

I'd put Hertl above Meier.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
If you think a team.will still be good for the next few years but worry about the age of a few players, you may want to rethink your position. Rarely do well run organizations stay stagnate.

I'm not so sure. Look what Pittsburgh did last time, in the late 90s. Ran with Lemieux-Jagr til it collapsed. Rebuilt from the ground up.

If they still think they have a good chance at winning a Cup two or three years from now, I could see them continuing to trade away first round picks to keep trying to win with Malkin and Crosby. And that's not a criticism - they very well could win at least one more so why the hell not? But it's really wearing on the prospect pool.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Btw, the Hawks are only going to be bad for a year or two more at most because they already have a young core in the organization and a top 10 farm system. They need a shutdown D to emerge and they'll be right back to contender status.

1 dman can turn one of the worst teams in the league to a contender?

I'd argue they are 2-3 top 4 dmen away from being good and personally I think passing on Byram was a mistake, especially with strome looking like a capable top 6 C

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
1 dman can turn one of the worst teams in the league to a contender?

I'd argue they are 2-3 top 4 dmen away from being good and personally I think passing on Byram was a mistake, especially with strome looking like a capable top 6 C
Boqvist looks really good. They still have Mitchell, Beaudin and Vlasic as well. They've used 5 of their last 6 1st and 2nd round picks on Defensemen. They traded Jokiharju, but they have a lot of options on D.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Québec city is always a possibility, they have an NHL ready arena.

I think the NHL is still afraid of that fact it’s mostly a French speaking city and players won’t want to play there

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto

Defenceman historically age much better than Forwards, there’s actually quite a few Norris winners over the age of 30 if you care to look it up. 6 of the last 11 Norris winners have been older than 30 years old. Check out the list here NHL James Norris Memorial Trophy Winners | Hockey-Reference.com

As for forwards all of Couture, Kane, Hertl, Meier, and Labanc are capable of 60+ points. All of those mentioned are under 30. Hertl and Couture hit 70pts last season, Meier certainly could have if he played all 82 (66pts in 78gp). Kane paced for 62 and Labanc had 56pts in his second full season.

If I had to poke holes in the roster I would be speculating on how well Vlassic’s contract holds up and if Martin Jones can get back to playing like a NHL goaltender.

I really don’t see the doom and gloom regarding San Jose for at least another 3-4 years, but that’s just me.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I'm not sold on the kings rebuild yet but I think the team that have the most seasons pass before they make the playoffs is the coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad