Next perennial bottom feeder

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It seems to be the consensus that the Senators are the worst team in the league and have been for nearly a couple years now. They might still be in the conversation for a couple more years, but who do you think will succeed them as the worst team in the league?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kind of a tough call. It really requires a team with good but not elite talent on the way out due to age starting out by establishing a trend of really poor front office decisions (such as from a GM who's poor but getting lots of slack, or a meddling owner, or whatever). Then one has to couple that with several drafts going really poorly, and a few Inexplicable Trades that go even worse.

The closest we've gotten to seeing that latter show up recently was Minnesota, but they quickly amputated so the patient may have been saved. Montreal might have been a candidate, except the Domi trade actually worked. Pittsburgh under Rutherford have had some dubious-looking moments in the market lately, but they've got too many elite guys for things to go south. Dallas just picked up Heiskanen, so they may still have hope. Half the PHWA have already printed their eulogies for Columbus, but the Jackets are doing too well in the draft and still have too many good young players despite high-profile departures. Similar considerations exist for Winnipeg. And so on.

My best guess, if I had a gun to my head and had to pick one team? Detroit. I just think the rebuild will take a long time, even with Stevie Y present. But I would not be at all shocked if they end up making that pick look dumb in short order. There's just too many variables. It takes a strange sort of talented incompetence to be that hopeless.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Maybe Colorado. Jets are 1 of the youngest teams in league. We got everybody paid. Good luck paying everybody in the next few years.

Do they have enough D prospects to fill the void?

Colorado will be fine. Cap is going up and several big contracts will be unloaded over the next few years, like EJ. Everything fits nicely together to keep the big three forwards, Makar, Girard, and a few other pieces.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Do they have enough D prospects to fill the void?
Absolutely and 8 mill in cap space next year if buff doesn't come back . The team is so young they aren't falling of a cliff like the wild say at their ages.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Maybe Colorado. Jets are 1 of the youngest teams in league. We got everybody paid. Good luck paying everybody in the next few years.

And Colorado is the youngest team in the league, with the most cap space in the league(Minus the poverty Ottawa team), and have almost our entire core signed for 4 more years....

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Not who is getting bad yet, but who has the worst prospect pool?

We can expect a team to stay good a few more years, but players sometimes fall off immediately, or injuries, players unexpectedly leave in free agency, etc

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Kind of a tough call. It really requires a team with good but not elite talent on the way out due to age starting out by establishing a trend of really poor front office decisions (such as from a GM who's poor but getting lots of slack, or a meddling owner, or whatever). Then one has to couple that with several drafts going really poorly, and a few Inexplicable Trades that go even worse.

The closest we've gotten to seeing that latter show up recently was Minnesota, but they quickly amputated so the patient may have been saved. Montreal might have been a candidate, except the Domi trade actually worked. Pittsburgh under Rutherford have had some dubious-looking moments in the market lately, but they've got too many elite guys for things to go south. Dallas just picked up Heiskanen, so they may still have hope. Half the PHWA have already printed their eulogies for Columbus, but the Jackets are doing too well in the draft and still have too many good young players despite high-profile departures. Similar considerations exist for Winnipeg. And so on.

My best guess, if I had a gun to my head and had to pick one team? Detroit. I just think the rebuild will take a long time, even with Stevie Y present. But I would not be at all shocked if they end up making that pick look dumb in short order. There's just too many variables. It takes a strange sort of talented incompetence to be that hopeless.
the domi trade is a fraction of the story. Top 5/6 prospect pool, probably youngest forward group in the league, lots of talent coming at all positions and a potential replacement for price (primeau) . They haven't had the C depth, they have now - since they won the cup. habs also have 13 picks next summer. they'll be very, very good going forward. If they can't develop an elite dman (romanov, brook etc -may not be no.1's), they'll have assets to trade for one. Yes, they have no superstars in their system...but Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Caulfied - added to drouin, domi, Gallagher etc...is significant...Not a bergevin fan, but he has done some good things

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad