Next perennial bottom feeder

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How can anyone say Jets? They do have 1-2 D propsects but even if they didn't, their forward core won't let them tank. They would just become a bubble team if anything.

Wheeler’s contract is likely really bad in a few years.

Their D is basically Morrissey and a bunch of question marks if Buff leaves.

They have no C depth organizationally when Little retires despite what Jets fans want to sell Roslo as being.

Laine can easily hardball his way out of there since they chose Connor in terms of long term contracts aside from him.

Honestly Jets have Minnesota Wild territory written all over them for the foreseeable future and they ain’t getting UFAs unless they pay tons.

If Laine walks what do they really have beyond Schief?

Reactions: Luminiferous

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Giving up as much as you guys did instead of selling set your team back a few years...
But yeah, you go and celebrate your 4th-7th place finish it was so worth it

yes losing out on such top prospects such as vitalii Abramov (3rd round pick) and Jonathan Davidsson (6th round pick) really hurt our long term outlook. We have the 2nd or 3rd youngest team in the league but our long term outlook is so bleak. You’re so right.

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The Canucks half-assed their rebuild under Benning and have failed to build a strong enough core of young talented players to compliment guys like Pettersson and Boeser.

I wouldn’t classify them as a bottom feeder but I anticipate several years of mediocrity, ranging from 7th-12th in the West for many years.
I would take that bet.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
yes losing out on such top prospects such as vitalii Abramov (3rd round pick) and Jonathan Davidsson (6th round pick) really hurt our long term outlook. We have the 2nd or 3rd youngest team in the league but our long term outlook is so bleak. You’re so right.

And that means what exactly? That your going to magically content in a few seasons? Get a clue kid, you missed out on trading two all stars that were never going to sign in Panarin and Bob and got squat for them. Then your genius GM traded a 1st which could have been Bjornfot, Heinola or Kaliyev but you’re so right.. you don’t need those type of players because getting to the 2nd round was so worth it..

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Dumba, Kaprizov, Boldy, Kunin, Eriksson Ek, Fiala, Greenway, Brodin, Donato

Wild have young talent ready, they just need to get rid of the 35 year old guys in key spots and draft a center.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
If we’re projecting based on teams with an aging core and a mediocre prospect pool, I’d say the Sharks or Wild, but it’s really unpredictable. Leafs would’ve been a shoo-in for this list from 2014 to 2016 but turned it around over the course of a year. Things can change in a heartbeat it everything goes right

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And that means what exactly? That your going to magically content in a few seasons? Get a clue kid, you missed out on trading two all stars that were never going to sign in Panarin and Bob and got squat for them. Then your genius GM traded a 1st which could have been Bjornfot, Heinola or Kaliyev but you’re so right.. you don’t need those type of players because getting to the 2nd round was so worth it..

and what if those players turn out to be nothing special? If being one of the youngest teams in the NHL means nothing to you, then having young prospects like those guys doesn’t mean much then, right?

I know how prospects mean more to people on this site than on ice success,but the blue jackets absolutely made the right decision to go for it. While 2nd round of the playoffs isn’t anything for you, a high and mighty kings fan with two cups and gets butthurt over a two word post, but it meant a lot to our fans, who never had tasted playoff success, and brought a lot of revenue to the team. I’d say that was a win.

2nd round playoff exit while upsetting one of the best team in NHL regular season history > trading Panarin and Bob for a late first, maybe another high pick (like a 2nd? Goalies have no trade value), and keeping our 1st (which would have ended around 12th overall), Abramov, Davidsson.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I don't know why people think Minny will be a perennial bottom feeder. Their whole issue is that their owner doesn't allow them to lose and wants them to win so they are a perennial mediocre team fighting for a playoff spot. I don't see them being dominant unless they capture magic, but they'll never be a bad team. Not even this year with a single win. There's too much talent, and Boudreau is a good enough coach to keep them in the hunt.

If I were to pick a team to be bad for the next few years it would probably be New Jersey. Why?

- The Metro looks dominant and impossible to crack for a number of years.
- Hall could very well leave after this season. Until he's locked up, I'm assuming he's gone
- They have terrible organizational goaltending. I thought Senn might be an answer but he's sucked so far.
- They have Subban, AND his bad contract. He's a total sideshow.
- Too many eggs in the lazy, one dimensional basket: Gusev, Boqvist, Hischier, Butcher
- Terrible coach who just signed last year
- Defensive depth is going to be a challenge, especially if Vatanen leaves next year, even if Smith is the replacement.

They have some good parts but they are a total mess. The good news is I could see them getting another top 3 pick this year to maybe start helping Hughes out.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Wheeler’s contract is likely really bad in a few years.

Their D is basically Morrissey and a bunch of question marks if Buff leaves.

They have no C depth organizationally when Little retires despite what Jets fans want to sell Roslo as being.

Laine can easily hardball his way out of there since they chose Connor in terms of long term contracts aside from him.

Honestly Jets have Minnesota Wild territory written all over them for the foreseeable future and they ain’t getting UFAs unless they pay tons.

If Laine walks what do they really have beyond Schief?
That's a lot of ifs. It's like Leaf haters saying "if Matthews leaves to Arizona". Even if all those IFS happen, I still think they will just be a mediocre team. Not a bottom feeder.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
I don't know why people think Minny will be a perennial bottom feeder. Their whole issue is that their owner doesn't allow them to lose and wants them to win so they are a perennial mediocre team fighting for a playoff spot. I don't see them being dominant unless they capture magic, but they'll never be a bad team. Not even this year with a single win. There's too much talent, and Boudreau is a good enough coach to keep them in the hunt.

If I were to pick a team to be bad for the next few years it would probably be New Jersey. Why?

- The Metro looks dominant and impossible to crack for a number of years.
- Hall could very well leave after this season. Until he's locked up, I'm assuming he's gone
- They have terrible organizational goaltending. I thought Senn might be an answer but he's sucked so far.
- They have Subban, AND his bad contract. He's a total sideshow.
- Too many eggs in the lazy, one dimensional basket: Gusev, Boqvist, Hischier, Butcher
- Terrible coach who just signed last year
- Defensive depth is going to be a challenge, especially if Vatanen leaves next year, even if Smith is the replacement.

They have some good parts but they are a total mess. The good news is I could see them getting another top 3 pick this year to maybe start helping Hughes out.
The thing is if you're mediocre for too long you don't get good picks and end up being bad. Throw in a couple of idiotic trades and you're set for a disaster. My answer is the Wild. Unfortunately..

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I’m not really sure why people are saying San Jose. They have a pretty young group of forwards and 2 of the best defencemen in the league locked up for term. Maybe in a few years but seems hf is reacting poorly to a 5 game sample size (as always).

Burns is already on the wrong side of 30, Karlsson will be 30 next year but seems to have regressed a little bit and the long term outlook of his contract does not look great.

Meier is the only one of their forwards under 30 that you could build a team around, the other guys are good players but nothing special.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Ottawa as usual, don't see them lasting too long in Ottawa either at this pace, unfortunately.

I mean where would they go? Quebec City isn’t happening and no US city at the moment is really close to anything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad