Next Country to Win a World Cup

Which country will be the next to win a World Cup?

• Total voters

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Many of the best development coaches would rather coach in the USA than elsewhere because a lot of people want to live in the country.
Is this true and if so based on what? I think top development coaches would have a long list of places to find work before coming to the US. Their home countries and places with a more consistent stream of top-end talent.

Reactions: al secord

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is this true and if so based on what? I think top development coaches would have a long list of places to find work before coming to the US. Their home countries and places with a more consistent stream of top-end talent.

Based on all these former top youth coaches in Europe coming to the USA. It’s the same thing as players that would rather live in LA or Miami than Central Europe.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Based on all these former top youth coaches in Europe coming to the USA. It’s the same thing as players that would rather live in LA or Miami than Central Europe.

I think it's very common in Europe to go to America for a while just to try it out. One of those 'bucket list' things. Some fall in love with it and stay, but many leave again too after a few years. See also European NHL players for that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The top youth coaches also don’t go to the US and I would say that players preferring the US are in the vast minority and rarely stay there.

Infrastructure includes coaching and development to me and the US just doesn’t have that.

Reactions: al secord

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The top youth coaches also don’t go to the US and I would say that players preferring the US are in the vast minority and rarely stay there.

Infrastructure includes coaching and development to me and the US just doesn’t have that.

But you’re wrong, they do. There are plenty of high level youth coaches around the world, mostly Europe, that have come to the USA.

Here are some examples

LA Galaxy: Technical Director rain the Mexican National Team Youth Program

Chicago Fire: Technical Director had the same position at FC Basel for close to ten years. Head coach was the coach of FC Basel for two seasons, and then the coach of the US U17 team. Their previous coach was the coach of Serbia’s best generation of youth players in leading them to a U20 World Cup tittle.

Philadelphia Union: Technical director oversaw the RB Salzburg academy for six years, and prior to that held the same position at Hoffenheim. He replaced a guy that worked at AZ Alkmaar and NAC Breda in similar capacity.

FC Dallas: Sporting Director worked in similar capacity at Grêmio and Santos, including when Neymar was at Santos.

Barcelona runs their own academy in Arizona, which they staff with their trained employees from their operation in Spain.

The director of youth development for MLS ran the academy at Le Havre when they produced Pogba, Mahrez, B. Mendy, Payet, Mandanda, Diarra.

And then there are some coaches like Schelotto or Martino that came to MLS. Schelotto left Boca Juniors for LA Galaxy. Martino left the Argentine National Team for Atlanta United before recently leaving for the Mexican National Team. The two best coaches in the Mexican League in recent years, Matias Almeyda and Diego Alonso, both came for MLS and coach for San Jose and Miami, respectively.

These are only examples off the top of my head. To claim the USA doesn’t have good coaches and development staff is ridiculous. There have been plenty of very high profile coaches, directors, staff who either currently work in the USA or did.

I don’t know what you mean by including development as part of infrastructure. Isn’t development a byproduct of the many components of infrastructure?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
If you asked me 5-10 years ago I would have actually said Japan (seem to develop good technical players, have a decent league + decent number of players in top European leagues) but they have been pretty stagnant and don't have a real identity, in 2010 they were pretty fun to watch and played some good football but then they went with a more defensive approach at recent tournaments, they haven't gone beyond the R16 though could have made the quarters in 2018 but blew a two goals lead

Voted Netherlands, think Belgium's window is closing, Portugal is a candidate but they are still missing some pieces and as mentioned before they are a small country so they are bound to have some average generations. Croatia seem to have a golden generation every 20 years so maybe in 2038 World Cup? :cool: Mexico are underachievers for their population and football mad population. I actually could see them decrease if their top players continue to go to MLS which is obviously MLS's plans to attract the Mexican-American audience. USA has the potential but I think as long as the team is majority MLS based it's hard to see them compete with the elite of the world, with respect to the league. USA is also a team without an identity, they are trying to shift away from that "gritty, outwork your opponent" mentality but they don't have the squad to play a technical/passing style, at least not yet

Dark horse could be somebody like Nigeria, they have a decent generation coming through but I know this will sound like a lazy stereotype there unfortunately is always an issue with the team spirit and unity at the World Cups.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It doesn’t really matter if a 2022/2026 Dutch team is the best it’s ever produced. They’re not playing in the ‘86 WC. It’s about their competition and really more than people want to admit, the draws.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
But you’re wrong, they do. There are plenty of high level youth coaches around the world, mostly Europe, that have come to the USA.

Here are some examples

LA Galaxy: Technical Director rain the Mexican National Team Youth Program

Chicago Fire: Technical Director had the same position at FC Basel for close to ten years. Head coach was the coach of FC Basel for two seasons, and then the coach of the US U17 team. Their previous coach was the coach of Serbia’s best generation of youth players in leading them to a U20 World Cup tittle.

Philadelphia Union: Technical director oversaw the RB Salzburg academy for six years, and prior to that held the same position at Hoffenheim. He replaced a guy that worked at AZ Alkmaar and NAC Breda in similar capacity.

FC Dallas: Sporting Director worked in similar capacity at Grêmio and Santos, including when Neymar was at Santos.

Barcelona runs their own academy in Arizona, which they staff with their trained employees from their operation in Spain.

The director of youth development for MLS ran the academy at Le Havre when they produced Pogba, Mahrez, B. Mendy, Payet, Mandanda, Diarra.

And then there are some coaches like Schelotto or Martino that came to MLS. Schelotto left Boca Juniors for LA Galaxy. Martino left the Argentine National Team for Atlanta United before recently leaving for the Mexican National Team. The two best coaches in the Mexican League in recent years, Matias Almeyda and Diego Alonso, both came for MLS and coach for San Jose and Miami, respectively.

These are only examples off the top of my head. To claim the USA doesn’t have good coaches and development staff is ridiculous. There have been plenty of very high profile coaches, directors, staff who either currently work in the USA or did.

I don’t know what you mean by including development as part of infrastructure. Isn’t development a byproduct of the many components of infrastructure?

I guess we have differing definitions of what constitutes a ‘top’ coach.

Also yes development is a byproduct of the infrastructure of which coaching is a very important element, but I felt development was worth noting in that respect because it’s not at a high level in the US.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It doesn’t really matter if a 2022/2026 Dutch team is the best it’s ever produced. They’re not playing in the ‘86 WC. It’s about their competition and really more than people want to admit, the draws.

I don’t really follow. Who said they were playing in the 86 WC? You don’t think it would matter if they had their best collection of talent ever given the squads they’ve had even in the recent past where they’ve made the WC final and finished 3rd? Interesting.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don’t really follow. Who said they were playing in the 86 WC? You don’t think it would matter if they had their best collection of talent ever given the squads they’ve had even in the recent past where they’ve made the WC final and finished 3rd? Interesting.

Someone said I can't see the Dutch winning it because they've had so many better teams that never won it.

but none of that matters in the context of what a 2022/2026 squad would do. Because you're talking about the relativity of playing your peers, not playing your nation's best squad ever.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Someone said I can't see the Dutch winning it because they've had so many better teams that never won it.

but none of that matters in the context of what a 2022/2026 squad would do. Because you're talking about the relativity of playing your peers, not playing your nation's best squad ever.
Gotcha, that is also correct.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Are managers allowed to go topless?

Not sure, Nelson Rivas ripped his shirt off, but he was sent off.

Portugal managed by Mourinho in 2026/2030 and Cristiano Ronaldo as a team director (or whatever title they would come up for him) would be interesting to see.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgium and Croatia had their chance in 2018, Belgium might still have a shot in '22 but our D won't be good enough to win anymore imho
Not sure why USA is in the poll :D Colombia are a bit past it as well, peak Falcao/James were good. I can't see an African team or Mexico winning anytime soon either. Chile's golden generation are past their peak too so they're out as well. And Asian countries have no realistic shot. 5-10 years ago I'd maybe given Russia a vote but now.. not anymore. I like what Ukraine are doing though, they've got a good prospect pool and could be a dark horse for the next decade.

I'm voting Portugal. They seem due to win one. Although like Belgium their defence needs some fresh legs.

Reactions: gary69

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Well, you voted other. Who is your other, and where is their best placement? And how many years ago?

I voted with the brain ofc ;) No, i voted with the heart here. Sweden. It was a while ago (1958) but at least we have been in a final :sarcasm: If i'm being serious i do not think we will ever win World Cup. We are a winter country with a population of 10 million. But i like our future with some good prospects going forward so we will probably continue to overachieve a bit. Our Quarterfinal in 2018 was an overachievement.

The logic answer is Netherlands or Portugal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad