Next Country to Win a World Cup

Which country will be the next to win a World Cup?

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Tough. Netherlands and Portugal are the only ones I can think that would be a new winner anytime soon. Croatia I think had their shot in 2018.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I don't think Belgium's window is closed. They need to solidify the full back positions, they seem to have everything else they need. It's still always a mountain to climb to win this event though.

Reactions: GabeTravels

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think Belgium's window is closed. They need to solidify the full back positions, they seem to have everything else they need. It's still always a mountain to climb to win this event though.
I don't think they have the talent coming up that the Netherlands and Portugal do. They clearly have a great team right now and winning in the next couple big tournaments will be their best chance for a little bit imo.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It’s depressing that England have won a World Cup while the Netherlands have not.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Besides defence, the Dutch are a paper tigre everywhere else. The correct answer is Belgium as they have prime players in all the most important positions.

As of now maybe, but the Dutch have really good youth teams. Guys like Kluivert and Zirkzee could be ready for big time already in two years.

Belgium on the other hand still has a great team now, but if we look at their previous World Cup semi-final XI it's getting seriously old by 2022 with no equal replacements available for most positions:

Courtois (30) - Kompany (36), Alderweireld (33), Vertonghen (35) - Witsel (33), Dembélé (35) - Hazard (31), Fellaini (35), De Bruyne (31), Chadli (33) - Lukaku (29)

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I vote Belgium! But it is very diffcult! For me 3 Countries have a little chance. Belgium, Portugal and Colombia.
Belgium and Portugal are very little countries(10 Mill) and are depend from their generation(Golden-Generation).
Colombia is a sleeping Giant for me. This country(50 Mill) has a bigger population than Argentina(45 Mill) and football is very popular there and the last decade was a big increase.

Why i don t have the Netherlands on radar? This great Football-Nation has ab big Final-Complex and some special problems sometimes.

Mexico? 126 Million and Football is extremly popular there. I don t know why Mexico never increase and stop on the spot. Mystery!

USA???? Never ever never! ;)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Mexico? 126 Million and Football is extremly popular there. I don t know why Mexico never increase and stop on the spot. Mystery!

I don't think it's much of a mystery. They are a solid footballing country but to become elite they need more players making it to European leagues and they need more competition pushing them within CONCACAF.

Reactions: JianYang

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think it's much of a mystery. They are a solid footballing country but to become elite they need more players making it to European leagues and they need more competition pushing them within CONCACAF.
But that means their youth work isn t good enough.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I suppose much depends on whether one of China, Qatar, Russia or Saudi Arabia says, "We have decided this is our year."

Are they going to run their usual twitter/facebook operation and just spam so much bullshit that everyone thinks they actually won the World Cup?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
But that means their youth work isn t good enough.

That's another element, Mexico is definitely not on par with the elite nations. They have some great young players and youth prospects. however the drop off in talent from the starts to the rest of the squad is definitely noticeable.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I said Belgium, but I think their window is closing. Netherlands and Portugal are right behind them, but can overtake them after the next world cup.

The U.S. needs to have a few more good cycles of youth prospects coming before even being in the conversation to win a world cup.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's another element, Mexico is definitely not on par with the elite nations. They have some great young players and youth prospects. however the drop off in talent from the starts to the rest of the squad is definitely noticeable.
Yeah, they are really just a better version of the US. Usually have a couple more higher-end players than the US, and definitely have more quality depth, but still not nearly enough to really compete with the top nations, where their top players don't come close to the elite nation's top players, and the depth just gets blown out. Teams like that can have special runs though.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think Portugal and the Dutch have the talent. So much of this depends on the draw in the tourney. I voted Netherlands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad