Next Country to Win a World Cup

Which country will be the next to win a World Cup?

• Total voters

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
2022 is the end of Belgium's window - I would not be surprised if they went deep (golden generations that are perceived to have "missed their chance" do have a knack for that).

I voted Netherlands though. I could see them competing hard in 2022, but also in 2026.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
That's another element, Mexico is definitely not on par with the elite nations. They have some great young players and youth prospects. however the drop off in talent from the starts to the rest of the squad is definitely noticeable.
This has been the case with Mexico for decades. No further development since 40 years

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
2022 is the end of Belgium's window - I would not be surprised if they went deep (golden generations that are perceived to have "missed their chance" do have a knack for that).

I voted Netherlands though. I could see them competing hard in 2022, but also in 2026.
I think 2022 might just be a tad early but also with van Dijk, Wijnaldum and Memphis in their primes they do have a very solid spine to work with, especially since they do have plenty of talent that will be trending up at the time like de Jong, de Ligt, Wijndal, Bergwijn, van de Beek, Stengs, Veerman, Boadu, Malen etc. but the majority of those will likely be in their primes come 2026, plus then you have potential generational talents in Ihattaren and Gravenberch and Unuvar joined by potential stars in Hansen, Braaf, Rensch and a few others who won't be quite in their primes probably but closing in on them.

Still question marks at keeper, nobody really outstanding comes to mind yet. And while Zeefuik has really had a strong season there's no real stand-out at RB either. I mean, by 2026 it could look something like this:

Boadu
Bergwijn - Ihattaren - Stengs
Gravenberch - de Jong
Wijndal - van Dijk - de Ligt - Zeefuik?
Bijlow​

Reactions: gary69

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This has been the case with Mexico for decades. No further development since 40 years

Which brings me back to Mexico football not being much of mystery. Seems pretty obvious why they have not taken the next step to becoming elite.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Which brings me back to Mexico football not being much of mystery. Seems pretty obvious why they have not taken the next step to becoming elite.
A 126 Million Country with so much passion for Football, are not to be able to produce top elite Players. This is a mystery!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this is clear cut as Netherlands, but they probably should’ve won one by now. They certainly haven’t lacked the talent to do so.

If the Netherlands don’t win one anytime soon, I think it’ll be one of the up and coming nations at some point. I don’t know that Belgium or Portugal are perennially strong enough to contend.

If not Croatia, it’ll be a winner similar to what Croatia was in 2018 as underdogs winning one during their golden generation.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Were the states added for comic relief?

People are always going to hate on the USA in football because it’s the one main sport we aren’t good at, but we’ve started improving and I think objectively speaking are more likely to win a World Cup than countries like Chile, Switzerland, Nigeria, Japan, or any other country you would’ve included. I don’t see any of you criticizing Mexico being included, and it’s exactly my point. Not any more successful, but they are more respected because there’s less animosity towards them from neutrals.

I included the top footballing nations in the world that haven’t won it, and then a few that could be up and coming nations.

The USA has the second most registered footballers in the world, has the best infrastructure, and has shown tangible development in producing top level players over the last five years that hadn’t previously been shown. I don’t think the USA are a contender anytime soon, but how many countries that haven’t won the World Cup yet will be consistent contenders over the next few world cups? If the next team that hasn’t won a World Cup wins it in 25 years as opposed to the next ten years, I don’t see why the USA wouldn’t be an option. 25 years ago the USA didn’t even have a real domestic league. It’s still a relative neophyte in football.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
People are always going to hate on the USA in football because it’s the one main sport we aren’t good at, but we’ve started improving and I think objectively speaking are more likely to win a World Cup than countries like Chile, Switzerland, Nigeria, Japan, or any other country you would’ve included. I don’t see any of you criticizing Mexico being included, and it’s exactly my point. Not any more successful, but they are more respected because there’s less animosity towards them from neutrals.

I included the top footballing nations in the world that haven’t won it, and then a few that could be up and coming nations.

The USA has the second most registered footballers in the world, has the best infrastructure, and has shown tangible development in producing top level players over the last five years that hadn’t previously been shown. I don’t think the USA are a contender anytime soon, but how many countries that haven’t won the World Cup yet will be consistent contenders over the next few world cups? If the next team that hasn’t won a World Cup wins it in 25 years as opposed to the next ten years, I don’t see why the USA wouldn’t be an option. 25 years ago the USA didn’t even have a real domestic league. It’s still a relative neophyte in football.
I feel like i'm reading a post from 1994.

Reactions: Rob

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
USA has good infrastructure but the worst federation. They have been set back at least a decade.
Do they have good infrastructure though? A country of that population and participation with what to show for it? Not even just from a team standpoint but I can’t think of any elite players they’ve produced either.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I voted Belgium because 2022 will be a weird tournament regardless and they have a group that could go together and go on a run (not like they were miles away in 2018). Weird gut instinct tells me they could do it, even if it's not super likely.

The Dutch haven't won a World Cup with better talent than anything they have right now or in the pipeline, to the point where it is a bit of a complex. Will be difficult to overcome that. I don't see Portugal making a jump forward - Cristiano Ronaldo won't lead them to a WC title anymore.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Do they have good infrastructure though? A country of that population and participation with what to show for it? Not even just from a team standpoint but I can’t think of any elite players they’ve produced either.
I don’t think they do. There is an argument for it but that’s not my definition of infrastructure

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Dutch haven't won a World Cup with better talent than anything they have right now or in the pipeline, to the point where it is a bit of a complex.

I mean, that's a bit premature. It's certainly possible that they've got the best combination of talent they've ever had coming through by 2026 if Gravenberch, Ihattaren, Unuvar, de Jong and de Ligt all reach their potential (there's also a ton more other talent, but those are obviously the biggest that are well known currently).

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I voted Belgium because 2022 will be a weird tournament regardless and they have a group that could go together and go on a run (not like they were miles away in 2018). Weird gut instinct tells me they could do it, even if it's not super likely.

The Dutch haven't won a World Cup with better talent than anything they have right now or in the pipeline, to the point where it is a bit of a complex. Will be difficult to overcome that. I don't see Portugal making a jump forward - Cristiano Ronaldo won't lead them to a WC title anymore.

He could win it as part of the management team, posturing on the sidelines, if 2016 was any indication regarding that.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I mean, that's a bit premature. It's certainly possible that they've got the best combination of talent they've ever had coming through by 2026 if Gravenberch, Ihattaren, Unuvar, de Jong and de Ligt all reach their potential (there's also a ton more other talent, but those are obviously the biggest that are well known currently).

It's premature if anything to say that group would be better than the 70s team or the late 80s/early 90s group.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's premature if anything to say that group would be better than the 70s team or the late 80s/early 90s group.
Well you're making an absolute statement, and I'm saying it's possible that they could be if they reach their potential. You can draw whatever conclusion you want from that about who's being premature.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well you're making an absolute statement, and I'm saying it's possible that they could be if they reach their potential. You can draw whatever conclusion you want from that about who's being premature.

You're right, it can't be ruled out, but I haven't yet made out anyone to be a new Cruyff in the orange shirt.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You're right, it can't be ruled out, but I haven't yet made out anyone to be a new Cruyff in the orange shirt.
I mean, have you seen much of Ihattaren, Gravenberch or Unuvar? I'm not saying any of them are the next Cruyff, but they're all ahead of where Cryuff was at the same age. They all have prodigious talent. I don't think comparing them to Cruyff is really fair especially as football has evolved so much since he broke through. Still, as a collective they don't need to have one player as good as Cruyff to be their best group of talent at once.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I mean, have you seen much of Ihattaren, Gravenberch or Unuvar? I'm not saying any of them are the next Cruyff, but they're all ahead of where Cryuff was at the same age. They all have prodigious talent. I don't think comparing them to Cruyff is really fair especially as football has evolved so much since he broke through. Still, as a collective they don't need to have one player as good as Cruyff to be their best group of talent at once.
But there was not only Cryuff. Neeskens, Rep, Rensenbnrink, Haan, Krol etc.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
But there was not only Cryuff. Neeskens, Rep, Rensenbnrink, Haan, Krol etc.
I'm aware that those teams were talented but really beyond Cruyff and Neeskens the 74/78 side was largely down to their style of play and management rather than the elite talents. The 88 winning side had Gullit, Rijkaard and van Basten who were elite as well. I mentioned 5 players that most people expect to be elite (if they aren't already, in de Jong's case), and there are a ton of other talents coming up in the Netherlands right now (Hansen, Braaf, Bakker, de Roij, Zirkzee, Redan, Goudmijn, the Timbers, Hoever, Taylor, Maatsen, etc. etc.) or who are already playing (Stengs, Bergwijn, Boadu, Wijndal, van de Beek, Veerman, Koopmeiners, Eiting, Dilrosun, etc. etc.).

Really it'll depend on a lot of things but the talent should certainly be there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think it's a toss up between the top 3 voted teams. Netherlands with a long term advantage atm, Belgium the short term, and i think Portugal will just be solid for the next while.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I'm aware that those teams were talented but really beyond Cruyff and Neeskens the 74/78 side was largely down to their style of play and management rather than the elite talents. The 88 winning side had Gullit, Rijkaard and van Basten who were elite as well. I mentioned 5 players that most people expect to be elite (if they aren't already, in de Jong's case), and there are a ton of other talents coming up in the Netherlands right now (Hansen, Braaf, Bakker, de Roij, Zirkzee, Redan, Goudmijn, the Timbers, Hoever, Taylor, Maatsen, etc. etc.) or who are already playing (Stengs, Bergwijn, Boadu, Wijndal, van de Beek, Veerman, Koopmeiners, Eiting, Dilrosun, etc. etc.).

Really it'll depend on a lot of things but the talent should certainly be there.
Yes right! Despite lot of these impressive talents you need "more" for to win a WC Title. Winner mentality, confidence in important games(F.e. Finals), tactical skills and good coaching. This are all things were the Netherlands have/had some problems. This is the reason, why i doubt the Oranje could win a WC ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: YNWA14

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

What do you consider infrastructure?

The USA has top notch money, facilities and raw athletic talents. Many of the best development coaches would rather coach in the USA than elsewhere because a lot of people want to live in the country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->