Next 3 years- Wheeler vs Laine

Who would you rather have for the next 3 years, Wheeler or Laine?

• Wheeler

Votes: 94 62.3%
  • Laine

Votes: 57 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
My favourite part of the delusional Finnish fans using that tiny sample size 2 years ago as proof of anything is that they always completly ignore that Laine has spent more time with Scheifele the past 2 years on the PP than he did overal in those games and his success on the PP was less than the tiny sample size that Finnish homers use to justify ridiculous predictions.

Funny how playing Laine with Scheifele is going to turn Laine into some 80+ goal 150+ point beast when they play together on the PP and still couldn't match the level of point production they had that month two years ago. But Finnish fans will still insist that that's the 'true' Laine and not just another hot streak

Can you make your points in a more precise way? I don't really understand them.

Laine is top-3 in PP goals in the league. What's your deal? If you are really a Jets fan you should know the value Laine brings to the PP, even when just standing there. Whatever issues there are (my take on it is that teams have figured out how to attack the choke point on that strategy), it's not because of Laine.

Are you taking overall offensive stats and adding 51% to come to your crazy numbers? Please clarify. There's like at least two problems with that. First is that I'm talking about line numbers, not individual player numbers.

Last edited:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Can you make your points in a more precise way? I don't really understand them.

Laine is top-3 in PP goals in the league. What's your deal? If you are really a Jets fan you should know the value Laine brings to the PP, even when just standing there. Whatever issues there are (my take on it is that teams have figured out how to attack the choke point on that strategy), it's not because of Laine.

Are you taking overall offensive stats and adding 51% to come to your crazy numbers? Please clarify. There's like at least two problems with that. First is that I'm talking about line numbers, not individual player numbers.
The sample of games that Scheifele played with Laine that pschodad and other Finnish homers use to extrapolate predictions for Laine is an extreme outlier. Laine+Scheifele have played more minutes together 5v4 than that 5on5 sample and could not sustain their scoring rate on the PP but somehow certain posters seem to think that Laine and Scheifele will duplicate their hot streak if they just played together 5v5. That's what those '51% increase in offence' numbers come from, an unsustainable stretch of games where they combined for a higher scoring stretch than they've averaged together on the PP in the time since

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I assume Laine will improve and Wheeler decline.

If Wheeler was on the 2nd line and Laine first, who knows how they'd be doing? Wheeler's been running off PP for a long time already.
Wheeler has nearly 2x as many non powerplay points as Laine this season

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
The sample of games that Scheifele played with Laine that pschodad and other Finnish homers use to extrapolate predictions for Laine is an extreme outlier. Laine+Scheifele have played more minutes together 5v4 than that 5on5 sample and could not sustain their scoring rate on the PP but somehow certain posters seem to think that Laine and Scheifele will duplicate their hot streak if they just played together 5v5. That's what those '51% increase in offence' numbers come from, an unsustainable stretch of games where they combined for a higher scoring stretch than they've averaged together on the PP in the time since

5v5 and the PP are completely different areas and units. How would Laine and Scheifele connect on the PP? Have you seen them do that once this season? That's not how it works, and you should know that. What kind of point is that even?

And on your second point, you are taking the whole body of work 5v5 between Scheifele and Laine and calling it a hot stretch when Laine has had close to similar success with other combinations (16 goals in 19 games for the Stastny line and Laine breaks MacKinnon's teenage point streak record). How about we trust what we see more than random guesswork. We can always revise if needed.

Since you are called JetsHomer you are allowed to call us homers, but otherwise that would be considered rude and uncivilized in a discussion. Definitely not honorable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad