Next 2018 Actual Off-Season Thread

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I get the coaching issues. I really do. I still believe in this team in the ice. Like I said it has its warts. Most teams do.
CBJ had terrible special teams all season and still got over 100 points. Torts with all his so called greatness still could not fix it. Tampa’s PK sucked and they went to game 7 of the ECF
Some coaches do burn out their goalies. Doesn’t make it right, but it does happen.
Do the Lighting reach the final if Jon Cooper didn’t lean on Vaz so much in the regular season?

Like I said in my take on the team earlier, I have faith in this team too so long as we're talking about the players on the ice. I think there's all the tools there for there to be no excuse for at least being a top wildcard team and a 2nd round playoff team. If they get hot or exceed expectations like last year then I see no reason why they cannot even make a run. Hakstol and Lappy are just too much of a hindrance to overcome that I think though. Torts is a better coach than Hak, so is Cooper albeit both Torts and Cooper are flawed coaches too (most coaches are). I don't know who their assistants are on either team, but I highly doubt they match the level of Lappy's ineptitude. He's been here for years and we are consistently a bottom three team in the league on the PK and I would be surprised if we weren't the worst over his tenure. Tampa and Columbus both finished ahead of us in the PK rankings last year for whatever it's worth, albeit just the next two spots ahead. The only two teams who did worse than use were the Isles and Canadiens, two non-playoff teams. Tampa might have had a bad PK, but they have arguably the best roster in the league on paper and were 3rd in the PP. Conversely, we were 15th on the PP which is supposed to be our greatest strenght usually.

Vaz was their starter, he's supposed to lean on him. We don't have a goalie anywhere near the level of Vaz and anyone who knows Hak over his tenure knows it's not about the amount of games played he plays his goalies. It's about the absurdness of how he rotates them. As far as I can tell, literally his only qualifier for if a goalie starts a game is "did he start last game and win? Okay, he plays next game. Did he start last game and lose? Okay, he sits next game". Without regard for the level of play of the team or goalie in the previous game or injury concerns or days in between games. I've literally never seen a coach play goalies in both games of a back-to-back like he consistently does. Following his play the goalie who won philosophy, he also can play goalies for long stretches at a time or sit a goalie when they don't deserve it.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
bomb.gif

Can we keep the assistant coaches?
yGv3UAa.gif

DLJB

Sep 28, 2010
Like I said in my take on the team earlier, I have faith in this team too so long as we're talking about the players on the ice. I think there's all the tools there for there to be no excuse for at least being a top wildcard team and a 2nd round playoff team. If they get hot or exceed expectations like last year then I see no reason why they cannot even make a run. Hakstol and Lappy are just too much of a hindrance to overcome that I think though. Torts is a better coach than Hak, so is Cooper albeit both Torts and Cooper are flawed coaches too (most coaches are). I don't know who their assistants are on either team, but I highly doubt they match the level of Lappy's ineptitude. He's been here for years and we are consistently a bottom three team in the league on the PK and I would be surprised if we weren't the worst over his tenure. Tampa and Columbus both finished ahead of us in the PK rankings last year for whatever it's worth, albeit just the next two spots ahead. The only two teams who did worse than use were the Isles and Canadiens, two non-playoff teams. Tampa might have had a bad PK, but they have arguably the best roster in the league on paper and were 3rd in the PP. Conversely, we were 15th on the PP which is supposed to be our greatest strenght usually.

Vaz was their starter, he's supposed to lean on him. We don't have a goalie anywhere near the level of Vaz and anyone who knows Hak over his tenure knows it's not about the amount of games played he plays his goalies. It's about the absurdness of how he rotates them. As far as I can tell, literally his only qualifier for if a goalie starts a game is "did he start last game and win? Okay, he plays next game. Did he start last game and lose? Okay, he sits next game". Without regard for the level of play of the team or goalie in the previous game or injury concerns or days in between games. I've literally never seen a coach play goalies in both games of a back-to-back like he consistently does. Following his play the goalie who won philosophy, he also can play goalies for long stretches at a time or sit a goalie when they don't deserve it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hakstol's only qualification for a goalie is are you upright, can you fog a mirror, can you see the print on the bottom of the eye chart.
He's had one reliable goalie for one year, that was Mason in 2015-16.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anyone listened to this yet?

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: Hextall Podcast, Offseason Updates, Phantoms and More

1) On the new edition of the "Real Deal Hockey with Bundy and Bill" podcast on the Flyers Alumni's Talkshoe channel, Chris Therien and I were joined by Flyers general manager Ron Hextall. We covered a wide array of topics on the 40-minute program. Before Ron called in, Bundy and I discussed the tragic passing of Ray Emery and our memories of his time in Philadelphia.

To download the program, . click here.

Reactions: BillDineen

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
At this point they could probably wait and see how Laughton, Weal, Vecchione, Vorobyev and Frost look at center during camp, and if that's not enough center depth then they can sign a veteran like Shore to a one year deal.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I don't want to jinx it, but so far this offseason I think Hextall's signings and non-signings have been pretty much perfect. A 30 goal LW, a cheap #6/7 RHD, and no other veterans who might block kids with potential.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I do think Hextall is having a fine off-season as well. You can tell he is active at least as well but he seems to be someone that will not overpay in trades which is a great thing. I don't mind going in with the five of them fighting for the 3c and 4c position since in a year or two it'll be filled up anyway with Frost.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fans get bent out of shape when GMs don't make a big move, but I've seen too many bad trades responding to pressure to "do something."
It's best to deal from a position of strength.
And Hextall has a valuable commodity that's rare for a top team, the cap room to help out a fellow GM that can lower the cost of a short-term fix.

I think he'll wait for camp, not just to look at his own players, but to see if some kid shines in another TC and makes an expensive veteran expendable.
A team to watch is St Louis, they have Schenn, O'Reilly and Bozak, maybe Ron could pry away someone like Barbashyov, especially with Thomas right behind him.
Calgary has a logjam at center with Lindholm and Ryan. And so on.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Fans get bent out of shape when GMs don't make a big move, but I've seen too many bad trades responding to pressure to "do something."
It's best to deal from a position of strength.
And Hextall has a valuable commodity that's rare for a top team, the cap room to help out a fellow GM that can lower the cost of a short-term fix.

I think he'll wait for camp, not just to look at his own players, but to see if some kid shines in another TC and makes an expensive veteran expendable.
A team to watch is St Louis, they have Schenn, O'Reilly and Bozak, maybe Ron could pry away someone like Barbashyov, especially with Thomas right behind him.
Calgary has a logjam at center with Lindholm and Ryan. And so on.
I wonder if Calgary would move Jankowski since he’s still unsigned...

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Seeing Cup hype in Toronto is hilarious considering they didn't fix that thing called...oh what is it...DEFENSE.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Vegas got to the Final with a patchwork defense. The highend forward talent they have can mask some deficiencies on the back end. Enough to win a Cup? Who knows but their talent and depth up front is ridiculous

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I do think Hextall is having a fine off-season as well. You can tell he is active at least as well but he seems to be someone that will not overpay in trades which is a great thing. I don't mind going in with the five of them fighting for the 3c and 4c position since in a year or two it'll be filled up anyway with Frost.

The Athletic likes the Flyers off-season, too.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad