Next 2018 Actual Off-Season Thread

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i predict the rest of the metro rebounds after being epicly **** division last year.

and the Flyers miss the POs.

unless of course Hexy finally does whats needed and flushs the coaching staff early enuf to recover
Having 5 teams have 97 points or more AND the SC Champion in the division is not epicly shit.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Metro is uber stacked. Wtf is all this "metro is shit" nonsense about?

Gone are the days when the east was the west's doormat. The metro is easily the deepest division in the NHL. And the top 3 in the Atlantic are freaking loaded for bear.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Metro is uber stacked. Wtf is all this "metro is ****" nonsense about?

Gone are the days when the east was the west's doormat. The metro is easily the deepest division in the NHL. And the top 3 in the Atlantic are freaking loaded for bear.

Central is better

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
i predict the rest of the metro rebounds after being epicly **** division last year.

The Rangers, Islanders and Devils have arguably all gotten worse this off-season. Carolina shuffled some deck chairs and added Svechnikov so they will probably jump NJD (barring a massive bounceback from Schneider) and battle with the Panthers for the last playoff spot. If the Jackets can't make a hockey trade with Panarin, they might be in that mix too.

If we're not in a playoff spot with this roster, considering the rest of the division/conference, it should cause a coaching change.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If we're not in a playoff spot with this roster, considering the rest of the division/conference, it should cause a coaching change.

giphy.gif
lIpDAGN.gif
psWfUii-1450301939.gif

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

and the Flyers miss the POs.

unless of course Hexy finally does whats needed and flushs the coaching staff early enuf to recover

Hextall continues to take away Hakstols pets away. Flip and Manning are gone. 2 players many said would be brought back on multi year deals. They added a legit 30 goal scorer, will have a motivated Simmonds in a contract year looking to prove everyone wrong. Patrick will be a better player this year.
This team has warts, but pretty much everyone in the division does except for Washington.
Both NY teams are going to be bad, NJ really didn’t improve their team. This team will be in the thick of it (it injuries aside) all season in spite of the coaching staff.

Reactions: Patrick Division

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
With tk and patricks continued improvement and jvrs addition i think our top 6 will be better even expecting voracek and g not to repeat thier success from last year. Ghost and provy should be together all year and that will be an improvement. After That its questions to be determined in camp. The answers will determine whether we can make a run or not.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Hextall continues to take away Hakstols pets away. Flip and Manning are gone. 2 players many said would be brought back on multi year deals. They added a legit 30 goal scorer, will have a motivated Simmonds in a contract year looking to prove everyone wrong. Patrick will be a better player this year.
This team has warts, but pretty much everyone in the division does except for Washington.
Both NY teams are going to be bad, NJ really didn’t improve their team. This team will be in the thick of it (it injuries aside) all season in spite of the coaching staff.

I have no doubt about any of that but when your PK is in the bottom of the league every year by a wide margin there’s literally no amount of roster turnover that can correct that because it’s a coaching/systems issue. There’s also literally no amount of turnover that can fix the problems that come from your head coach grinding your goalie tandem into dust or putting your second best natural winger on the third line with less than 14 minutes a night in the playoffs.

Those are the types of things that literally cannot be corrected until the coaches fix them or the coaches get fired. I doubt the former happens and I doubt the latter happens next season at all.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The Metro is pretty top heavy at this point but it’s a pretty even split. I don’t care what anybody says, the Caps winning last year was the easiest run a team has had since maybe the Canes won it. Putting that aside, the only reason NJ was a playoff team last year was because Hall was a Hart candidate. If he doesn’t repeat that then they’re not a playoff team.

Islanders are significantly worse and already weren’t a playoff team, Rangers are rebuilding and Hank just keeps getting older, Canes made a major trade and changed coaches and have probably the worst goalie tandem in the league. Say what you want about Pittsburgh being a playoff contender but they barely outperformed us last season and every year Crosby/Malkin get older the worse they should be. Columbus is the same as they ever were really. Again, I see no reason why the Flyers shouldn’t be a top three division team. Bare minimum a first wildcard close to third in the division.

Reactions: renberg

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’m more worried about the Hurricanes than the Caps or Pens.
Lol. Haven’t made the playoffs in what ten years? I’ll worry when they actually show something. And not just potential!

I’m sure @deadhead loves that team though. All those prospects the are grooming are gonna be studs one day!

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I have no doubt about any of that but when your PK is in the bottom of the league every year by a wide margin there’s literally no amount of roster turnover that can correct that because it’s a coaching/systems issue.

I get the coaching issues. I really do. I still believe in this team in the ice. Like I said it has its warts. Most teams do.
CBJ had terrible special teams all season and still got over 100 points. Torts with all his so called greatness still could not fix it. Tampa’s PK sucked and they went to game 7 of the ECF
Some coaches do burn out their goalies. Doesn’t make it right, but it does happen.
Do the Lighting reach the final if Jon Cooper didn’t lean on Vaz so much in the regular season?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Coaches overwork goalies because they don't have a backup and no point saving your goalie for the playoffs if you don't make the playoffs.
The difference for the Flyers this year is I think there's a lot more confidence in Lyon, and you have Hart in the wings.

Last year with Stolarz injured, Lyon wasn't ready when he came up (though I think his cameo made him realize he could play in the NHL and that carried over to the AHL playoffs), and after that you had nothing, which is why Ron traded for Mrazek.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The Rangers, Islanders and Devils have arguably all gotten worse this off-season. Carolina shuffled some deck chairs and added Svechnikov so they will probably jump NJD (barring a massive bounceback from Schneider) and battle with the Panthers for the last playoff spot. If the Jackets can't make a hockey trade with Panarin, they might be in that mix too.

And player change.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
bomb.gif

Can we keep the assistant coaches?

That is one disturbing gif, simply by its brevity. The kid in the middle seems to be chewing into Hakstol's skull, the one on the right appears to be trying to crank-start himself ("I must be flooded!"), and I don't even want to know what the guy in the second row is doing on national TV!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That is one disturbing gif, simply by its brevity. The kid in the middle seems to be chewing into Hakstol's skull, the one on the right appears to be trying to crank-start himself ("I must be flooded!"), and I don't even want to know what the guy in the second row is doing on national TV!

I assumed he was rubbing Germ-X on his hands for when Hakstok goes into the crowd to shake hands, as is his wont.

Reactions: BernieParent

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
i miss the guy that used to hit people on the forehead with the heel of his hand and they would passout and be healed when they came out of their stupor. wish i could remember the guys name he kinda looked like joe pesci

That was Andy Bezeau, the guy who knocked out Hakstok by punching the Lord's goodness into his face repeatedly when Jeff was a minor-league player.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad