News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I guess we should also be thankful that they didn't bring back the Great Pumpkin jerseys as well.

ibj8Tdemc3WxY1JU7

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
That image is every incorrect way to attempt using sea green & copper — which could otherwise not only go on a jersey without causing blindness, but take a color scheme that hasn’t had dibs called yet.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think a pretty cool 3rd jersey color scheme would be the old Ford GT racing colors and just add royal blue (the light blue would be a trim color - not predominant like on the car):

07-large.jpg

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This out today. Not surprising that values have come down for the first time since '01 but Isles $38M loss; ouch! We know the many of the reasons but still, worst in the league by more than 30%. If Covid hits before building starts going up you have to wonder if it happens at all, but Covid or not, makes Ledecky / Malkin continued belief and investment (gamble) all the more impressive.

The Business Of Hockey

Last edited:

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
This out today. Not surprising that values have come down for the first time since '01 but Isles $38M loss; ouch! We know the many of the reasons but still, worst in the league by more than 30%. If Covid hits before building starts going up you have to wonder if it happens at all, but Covid or not, makes Ledecky / Malkin continued belief and investment (gamble) all the more impressive.

The Business Of Hockey

Thoughts:

Revenues have trended up since they bought in (2020 is an incomplete picture).
The franchise is valued higher than what they paid for it
This value does not include anything for the new arena. Think of what the gate receipts number will be once we're in UBS in 11 months.
The cap difference from 2019-2020 contributes almost half of the operating loss.

You take the short term operating loss to make money in the long run. 38 million to Malkin is an expensive dinner.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

The Business Of Hockey
ouch

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thoughts:

Revenues have trended up since they bought in (2020 is an incomplete picture).
The franchise is valued higher than what they paid for it
This value does not include anything for the new arena. Think of what the gate receipts number will be once we're in UBS in 11 months.
The cap difference from 2019-2020 contributes almost half of the operating loss.

You take the short term operating loss to make money in the long run. 38 million to Malkin is an expensive dinner.
I just found it interesting, and yes, 2020 is an incomplete picture (unless, of course, we're discussing the '20 playoffs in which case it is a complete picture and we are definitely top four!!!:rolleyes:), but it's incomplete for every organization and so on a relative basis it's still not good. And no, 38M is not chump change, even to Malkin (who people here seem to think is worth billions - I'd like to see that number authoritatively substantiated somewhere), particularly on revenues of 93M.

And how do you arrive at '19-'20 cap difference contributes to half of the operating loss?

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
And how do you arrive at '19-'20 cap difference contributes to half of the operating loss?

There are details if you click the team name. The spending on the players from 19 to 20 increased 18MM, almost half of the 38MM operating loss...ownership knew their revenue limitations and still increased the investment in the team on the ice. This is a good thing that we're not used to.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
There are details if you click the team name. The spending on the players from 19 to 20 increased 18MM, almost half of the 38MM operating loss...ownership knew their revenue limitations and still increased the investment in the team on the ice. This is a good thing that we're not used to.

As an Isles and Mets fan, recent events feel surreal, especially when measured against an otherwise bleak year that is 2020.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Somewhat misleading given that it had fallen in the previous year by 8M and the owners didn't spend to the cap that year, but yeah, I agree, the owners are fully committed which I acknowledged in my original post.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I initially wanted the fisherman logo on blue, but now I say lets just go with the old ugly uniforms. The teal, curvy lines, bad font letters...the whole sh*tshow!

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not sure how many of you guys get The Athletic, but this was a really important article about ex-Isle Mark Parrish that everyone should read if they have the opportunity.

Always liked the player and from what I've seen of him in media, he seems like a good guy.

I'm rooting for him.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Not sure how many of you guys get The Athletic, but this was a really important article about ex-Isle Mark Parrish that everyone should read if they have the opportunity.

Always liked the player and from what I've seen of him in media, he seems like a good guy.

I'm rooting for him.

What happened to him? Alcohol or something?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What happened to him? Alcohol or something?
Yeah, alcohol and at one point pain killers.
It's good that he was such a strong support system.

The article says he is a partial owner of a liquor company and has no intention of selling. I can't help but think is a bad decision.

Reactions: BrockLobster

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Yeah, alcohol and at one point pain killers.
It's good that he was such a strong support system.

The article says he is a partial owner of a liquor company and has no intention of selling. I can't help but think is a bad decision.
Also said his wife is in the wine biz. Would think that would make it tougher.

I'm always impressed with folks like Mark or Lehner that are so open and honest in sharing these very personal struggles with mental health issues and addiction. Takes a lot more guts than I'd probably have in the same situation.

Reactions: Quicklime

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Also said his wife is in the wine biz. Would think that would make it tougher.

I'm always impressed with folks like Mark or Lehner that are so open and honest in sharing these very personal struggles with mental health issues and addiction. Takes a lot more guts than I'd probably have in the same situation.
Yeah, hoping for him to stay sober.Sounds like his family has been thru the wringer with his abuse problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad