News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
His agreement prohibited him from participating in the draft. So, it was left up to whomever the organization decided would run the draft. Certainly, in his role in STL he would have been aware of most prospects teams were scouting, including ones with checkered pasts. AZ has a Director of Pro Scouting. They have plenty of assistants to the GM.

They changed their mind when (a) more information was released publicly by the family of the kid harmed, (b) social media jumped in, and (c) Armstrong didn't want this being attached to his new role and hanging around for who knows how long. All the reports from Armstrong are 'I had nothing to do with this, I wasn't here.'
Ah, my bad, I didn't know that about that agreement, but yeah, it totally makes sense that a GM wouldn't have much to do with the draft having only been hired a month earlier.

Ohh ok. For some reason I thought it was after the draft.
No worries, probably was due to what Throttle said above, so in a way you were more right than I was. But either way, we all seem to agree that Armstrong was not really involved in making the pick so it's not really all that weird that he decided to handle it differently.

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
The leagues shut down under very unique circumstances, the least of which arenas didn’t have 20k+ paying people in them and having to reschedule all that. Rather, they moved around a few time slots on the tv when their non-paying audience was at home. The inconvenience was minimal to pretty much everyone involved.
As I recall postponement was a players protest and response after a weak league action. The league had no choice in the matter except to agree or embarrass itself.

Big difference

Elliott: NHL players hope playoff protest is a real start toward battling racism

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
Another thing everyone should keep in mind is that franchises don't give a crap where a guy comes from or what his color his if he can help their team. If the guy can play and help an NHL team, then someone's bringing him in.
A little optimistic there. If it were true, Colin Kaepernick would have had a job many season ago and some suck ass not-NFL caliber QB wouldn't have.

Reactions: nyisleslover

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
A little optimistic there. If it were true, Colin Kaepernick would have had a job many season ago and some suck ass not-NFL caliber QB wouldn't have.

I can't speak for the NFL.

I think that's a whole other ball game.

The statement you quoted was only with respect to NHL teams.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Gustav Nyquist is going to miss 5 to 6 months as per NHL network and other outlets due to shoulder surgery. Assume that they could put him and his $5.5M AAV on LTIR? He may not come back until the cap expands. If that is the case, CBJ could have al to of cap space .. Queuing up for those who know the cap rules better than I do, and I dont have time to look right now.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Gustav Nyquist is going to miss 5 to 6 months as per NHL network and other outlets due to shoulder surgery. Assume that they could put him and his $5.5M AAV on LTIR? He may not come back until the cap expands. If that is the case, CBJ could have al to of cap space .. Queuing up for those who know the cap rules better than I do, and I dont have time to look right now.

They have $9.2M in cap space right now with one roster spot open. In order to get any benefit of LTIR they'd need to use all or most of that $9.2M before they placed Nyquist on it. I think it's unlikely they'd need to unless they can swing a good deal that they like.

Reactions: 19 in a row

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
They have $9.2M in cap space right now with one roster spot open. In order to get any benefit of LTIR they'd need to use all or most of that $9.2M before they placed Nyquist on it. I think it's unlikely they'd need to unless they can swing a good deal that they like.

I believe once Brandon Dubinsky's $5.85 million goes on IR/LTIR (sounds like the wrist injury is a career ender), they will have even more money available.

It actually makes no sense for them to hold onto the Dubinsky IR/LTIR contract, since they are not a cap max team and it only has one year of term remaining.

I believe the Dubinsky contract is also fully insured, so it has very good value in trade to a team looking to circumvent the cap.

The only thing I can think of is that they might need an updated physical, for LTIR and insurance, so they need to wait for Dubinsky to report to camp, before they can trade his contract.

That way the team assuming the contract is assured he is indeed done. It would be a "nasty" surprise to trade for that $5.85 million and Dubinsky shows up, reveals he is completely healed and healthy, lol.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
So the Rangers are now done with RFAs and have about $6.4M in cap space as per cap friendly even with $13M of buyout $$ (although I am not sure if that includes the bonus penalty they were going to incur since they had exceeded the limit) . Still wonder if they are a potential landing spot for Hoffman or some other big splash. Their buyout $$ will go down to a $4M cap hit next season which will help them sign some of their RFAs that will come up then.. . . Hate to say it but they look to be well positioned for the next few years with their mix of vets and youth.

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
So the Rangers are now done with RFAs and have about $6.4M in cap space as per cap friendly even with $13M of buyout $$ (although I am not sure if that includes the bonus penalty they were going to incur since they had exceeded the limit) . Still wonder if they are a potential landing spot for Hoffman or some other big splash. Their buyout $$ will go down to a $4M cap hit next season which will help them sign some of their RFAs that will come up then.. . . Hate to say it but they look to be well positioned for the next few years with their mix of vets and youth.

they have two really young and inexperienced goalies, which is a definite minus for them. and their D isn't very impressive. i don't think their 'window' starts for a few years, after Lafreniere and their goalies get some experience.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
they have two really young and inexperienced goalies, which is a definite minus for them. and their D isn't very impressive. i don't think their 'window' starts for a few years, after Lafreniere and their goalies get some experience.
Maybe, but Shestyorkin will be 25 by the time next season starts, not a tyke, and looked anything but inexperienced last season. There has been some scuttlebut about the severity of his rib injury and his injuries in general from the car accident with Buchnevich but since he was practicing in March probably not an issue. Painful as it may be, we shouldn't kid ourselves about the Rags.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Maybe, but Shestyorkin will be 25 by the time next season starts, not a tyke, and looked anything but inexperienced last season. There has been some scuttlebut about the severity of his rib injury and his injuries in general from the car accident with Buchnevich but since he was practicing in March probably not an issue. Painful as it may be, we shouldn't kid ourselves about the Rags.
never underestimate the value of experience. this is why a young team rarely takes the big prize. look at Colorado last year. favorites in regular season and POs, and yet... i am not jealous at all. they are top heavy and inexperienced. i really don't think their time is now.

Reactions: BrockLobster

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
never underestimate the value of experience. this is why a young team rarely takes the big prize. look at Colorado last year. favorites in regular season and POs, and yet... i am not jealous at all. they are top heavy and inexperienced. i really don't think their time is now.
Right, and we're going into the season with a 1b goalie who's never played in the NHL, a still bone thin, greener than a rainforest, 21 year old defenseman that people such as yourself expect to be top 4 and a probable top 6 winger (because who else have we got or can we get?) who's never scored a goal in the NHL. And you're talking about the value of experience like that's an advantage we'll have?! As for talent, at least they've got some talent at the top. We've got one guy that we can be sure of.

And I never said I expect them to win a Cup or even get close to it (god forbid), I said they'll be better and have a bright future. From a roster and prospect standpoint, brighter than ours, sad to say.

Last edited:

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Ryan strome has done well for himself. Was one of those players, couldn't wait to see go, and somehow got so much better finally. The only players who has shocked me more over 35 years was dipietro actually getting a contract offer from Carolina when he had no connections with Carolina ownership, and Tommy salo with the oilers. Watchjng him as an islander Never thought he would get a job as a goalie on a different team

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Ryan strome has done well for himself. Was one of those players, couldn't wait to see go, and somehow got so much better finally. The only players who has shocked me more over 35 years was dipietro actually getting a contract offer from Carolina when he had no connections with Carolina ownership, and Tommy salo with the oilers. Watchjng him as an islander Never thought he would get a job as a goalie on a different team

Stromes was celebrated here during his Sophomore season. He isn't perfect but he is serviceable and seems to more of a complimentary guy than a line driver. At the time, we won the trade , however, moving forward I'm not sure I would prefer Eberle. Strome isn't a p***y and will dish it out when he has to.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Stromes was celebrated here during his Sophomore season. He isn't perfect but he is serviceable and seems to more of a complimentary guy than a line driver. At the time, we won the trade , however, moving forward I'm not sure I would prefer Eberle. Strome isn't a p***y and will dish it out when he has to.
He's on his third team and very removed from his draft status, player compensation, and role. Essentially, the pressure is very different for him. He's no more about being saddle with the future, but rather, he is what he is. He's found a role and it fits him. He never found it with the Isles and same with EDM.

Reactions: eoin92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad