News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This isn't a Leafs thread, stop bringing it up every chance you get.
:clap:

I made a thread on the mainboard about this, but I will say it here anyway - this Boston line is bordering on legendary status right now. Scoring around 70% of their team's points. On the PP, it's unstoppable. Very impressed. Boston makes a nice "target" for us, in my opinion. I like the way they play.

Check out their scoring distribution compared to Carolina:

upload_2019-10-17_10-52-10-png.265627

That's before last nights game, which will only make that drop more precipitous.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'll give Snow credit for Bailey, Pulock, and Mayfield, but JT was a no-brainer and Nino was a consensus pick that actually worked out for the Snowman despite how it all ended. But let's not forget all the 1st and 2nd round strikeouts Garf had!

Anything from the 3rd round on, I attribute to luck; and that goes for any GM.

Don’t get me wrong, he was a mediocre drafter and developer (and generally a bad GM), but he hit a few gems. Even Hammer, Barzal, Nelson, Beau.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'll give Snow credit for Bailey, Pulock, and Mayfield, but JT was a no-brainer and Nino was a consensus pick that actually worked out for the Snowman despite how it all ended. But let's not forget all the 1st and 2nd round strikeouts Garf had!

Anything from the 3rd round on, I attribute to luck; and that goes for any GM.

The general thought is that the GM has his hands all over the 1st round pick, usually because that's his "statement pick" and he likely will get out to see the guys rated around that pick, while picks 2 and beyond fall on the quality of the scouting staff. So if anyone gets credit for any of the Isles' picks after round 1, it should be the head scout and his staff.

Reactions: Strummergas

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Where did I say that was Lou's fault?

You said we were lucky pajama boy left us, I am saying we would have been better either keeping him or getitng a haul.

What is your opinion on the Marleau and Zaitsev contracts?

Were you this supportive of Lou when he was Leaf's GM? Or were you already playing this game at that time?
Lou has done a fine job with the Isles since coming in. He has changed the culture from night to day. Most Isles fans would prefer this. I don't know what problem you have with this, unless you weren't an Isles fan, are you an Isles fan? Are you saying you prefer the losing combination of the Snow and Weight regime to the winning combo of Lou and Trotz? You seem to be the only one here still hung up on Pajamas. Did you see this play, he is slowing like molasses. Be happy he is gone, that contract is already looking like a weight on the cap.

Tavares beaten by Kuzy like he was tied to a pole.

Reactions: MattMartin and MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don’t get me wrong, he was a mediocre drafter and developer (and generally a bad GM), but he hit a few gems. Even Hammer, Barzal, Nelson, Beau.
I give Snow credit for one thing. Pulling off the trade for #16 in the 2015 draft. Not much for anything else. Scouts hit on a few, but missed on others. Would have taken back MDC, Reinhart, Strome, and Hosang. I can only tell Isles fans what the perception around the NHL of him on the Isles. To use a Wayne Gretzky adjective, micky mouse. the Isles were not very respected front office wise.

Now they are. They have instant cred. Starts with Lou coming in, hiring Trotz, and filters throughout the NHL. The Isles are a professional organization. They have good ownership now, stability, and an arena deal. Which just a few years ago, seemed a galaxy away.

Reactions: Hunn and dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
NJ Devils sign Nico Hischier to a 7 yr/$7.25M AAV extension.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I give Snow credit for one thing. Pulling off the trade for #16 in the 2015 draft. Not much for anything else. Scouts hit on a few, but missed on others. Would have taken back MDC, Reinhart, Strome, and Hosang. I can only tell Isles fans what the perception around the NHL of him on the Isles. To use a Wayne Gretzky adjective, micky mouse. the Isles were not very respected front office wise.

Now they are. They have instant cred. Starts with Lou coming in, hiring Trotz, and filters throughout the NHL. The Isles are a professional organization. They have good ownership now, stability, and an arena deal. Which just a few years ago, seemed a galaxy away.

This franchise would be in much better position if Snow didn’t wiff on so many top 5 picks and mismanage Nino. That said, him and his staff drafted pretty well. 65% of this roster is a product of him and his staff.

Trust me, I can’t stand the man, his ego, and poor GM’ing. I’m thankful for some of the picks under his tenure. Him and his staff unearthed some gems in Barzal, Lee, Cizikas, Pelech and Pulock; w solid players littered through the roster.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Not sure I agree with the takes in here. If I'm a Devils fan, I'm loving that contract. The possibility of it being a steal far outweighs the possibility of it being a bust. He's 20 and they just bought 4 of his UFA years and he's already a 50-point player on a terrible team.

Would anyone be interested in this team grabbing a 50-point UFA for 4 years right now at $7MM (and technically I can argue for less than this since Nico has 3 years of inflation before he's at that status)? And he has 3 years to get better.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not sure I agree with the takes in here. If I'm a Devils fan, I'm loving that contract. The possibility of it being a steal far outweighs the possibility of it being a bust. He's 20 and they just bought 4 of his UFA years and he's already a 50-point player on a terrible team.

Would anyone be interested in this team grabbing a 50-point UFA for 4 years right now at $7MM (and technically I can argue for less than this since Nico has 3 years of inflation before he's at that status)? And he has 3 years to get better.

I agree. Look at Nelson's deal and the Hayes deal.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
James Neal with another goal...hes always been a sniper but after last year I doubt anyone thought hed get more than 15 goals all season, he could be close to that in a month

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Agreed. Hischier's shown already he can be a 50-point, defensively responsible center. Even if he stagnates at his current level and never reaches that next level, that's still arguably the going rate for a 50-point two-way center. If he improves his offense even a little, it's going to look really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad