News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
They really didn't outclass us. Those games were all very close and in at least two of them the Islanders controlled and dictated play (OT game one, and didn't Carolina score two goals within a minute of each other at some point after being dead in the water the rest of the game?). Carolina was very opportunistic and the Islanders couldn't come back once they lost leads.

The Isles had a great season.

They lost the series 4-0 and the Canes were the better team.

These quotes sounds like the arguments fans of a 5-11 NFL team make.
"Well, we lost 8 games by a total of 23 points "

Last edited:
Reactions: IslandersFan17

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It's an all in year indeed, and Barrie, Ceci have been underwhelming supposed improvements this season. That D is even worse than last season, without Hainsey to cover up Rielly's defensive lapses. He has looked lost defensively this year. Young GM Dumbass' has no clue on how to build a team. There is no sense or chemistry on how he has constructed the Laffs. They are a one trick pony.
And the NY Islanders lack the finesse and offensive talent needed to contend for a Stanley Cup. Sure we have plenty of grit and a good defense but we don't have the offense. Dubas didn't even build that Leafs team. Same can be said about clueless Lou. The Islanders and Leafs had similar records last year. They are similar this year. Both teams had Lou play a part in building their teams. Both team have fatal flaws. And remember Lou wanted JT on the Islanders.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Isles had a great season.

They lost the series 4-0 and the Canes were the better team.

These quotes sounds like the arguments fans of a 5-11 NFL team make.
"Well, we lost 8 games by a total of 23 points "

Saying you're outclassed implies you weren't close. The series isn't indicative of how the games were played. A 4-0 sweep where every game goes to overtime isn't an example of the losing team being outclassed.

Reactions: dood

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Completely forgot about Byfuglien. They definitely had some rough guys in the early cups.

I thought getting rid of Kadri (and not replacing him with someone similar) was a big mistake. His bonehead plays in the playoffs really hurt the team, but he does add an element they don't have now.
Kadri was annoying as hell, but only occasionally really physical, especially after they split up him and Leo.

Losing Komarov and Polak hurt them more than Kadri, as far as the physical game goes.

I think Mikheyev might become a real force too - and he's got great acceleration!

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Say what you want about Garth Snows tenure. But he has produced some talent. Koski is a middle of the pack starter, Nilsson a good backup. Add that to Lee, Cizikas, JT, Pelech, Pulock, Nino, Mayfield, Bailey, Toews.

Now... I’m sure the scouting dept has played more of a role; however, for all his strikeouts, he’s drafted pretty well.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Say what you want about Garth Snows tenure. But he has produced some talent. Koski is a middle of the pack starter, Nilsson a good backup. Add that to Lee, Cizikas, JT, Pelech, Pulock, Nino, Mayfield, Bailey, Toews.

Now... I’m sure the scouting dept has played more of a role; however, for all his strikeouts, he’s drafted pretty well.

I will say that Snow sure picked a hell of a coach in Doug Weight.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
And the NY Islanders lack the finesse and offensive talent needed to contend for a Stanley Cup. Sure we have plenty of grit and a good defense but we don't have the offense. Dubas didn't even build that Leafs team. Same can be said about clueless Lou. The Islanders and Leafs had similar records last year. They are similar this year. Both teams had Lou play a part in building their teams. Both team have fatal flaws. And remember Lou wanted JT on the Islanders.

..and rightfully so. JT would have fetched us a whole lot of prospects or maybe a Cup.

But the Isles without JT bring a ton of grit, a good locker room chemistry and buy in from the team (except Ho Sang and Lou has done an great job not letting that distract this team.

The Isles Defense is superior to most teams which has a major positive effect on goaltending. They are in most of their games without a great scorer and had a very good season last year.

If your only gauge on success is Stanley Cups, there were only two teams that made it to the finals last year. Were there only two successful teams? Or just one? I will argue the Isles were a success last year.

Now in my opinion, Chemistry means a lot more than individual stats and finesse as you put it and just having an superior offense is not nearly enough. Look at how most of the superstar top scorers faired. Maybe a handful of the NHL top 30 point leaders (point per game players) made it passed the second round. Only Marchand #5, Aho #21 and Pastrnak #21 in scoring were in the semis. The Blues O’Reilly #32 won the cup

The Leafs despite having all the finesse and #4 in goals, produced a first round exit because of below par defense and goaltending last season. Maybe it’s the coach, or the spotlight those guys are in every minute of the day and the money, but that organization year in and year out struggle to win it all. Maybe even call it a Chemistry problem.

Now yes, the Isles need to produce more offense and yes we presumably need a legit top 3 winger for Barzal, but they are not easy to obtain and getting one will be costly.

Lou swung for Panarin and missed, not because of Lou, but because of the organizational problems, the arena issues, the fan base or lack thereof and generally the inability for the team to attract star UFAs. It was the attractiveness of NYC and a being superstar in the greatest city in the world or Panarin wife’s perception, instead of being a part of the small tight ship that is sailing along on Long Island.

You can argue giving away the farm to get one such player now would have been the solution, but Lou’s philosophy, as was Mr Torrey’s philosophy, is long term winning and sustainability and building, be it a slow rebuild while still winning now (how about that), is more important for 2021 and beyond. It’s the Islanders way, like it was in the 70s, and we are in the equivalent of the late 70’s right now, just missing one or two of the pieces that we may be developing internally right now.

Anyone who doubts the organizations direction is either in a cave having not witnessed what proceeded Lou, not a fan of this team, or just plain clueless in terms of what goes into building a winner.

One thing is for certain, Lou is not the clueless one. Lou is the savior we have been waiting 30+ years for.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

I'll give Snow credit for Bailey, Pulock, and Mayfield, but JT was a no-brainer and Nino was a consensus pick that actually worked out for the Snowman despite how it all ended. But let's not forget all the 1st and 2nd round strikeouts Garf had!

Anything from the 3rd round on, I attribute to luck; and that goes for any GM.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'll give Snow credit for Bailey, Pulock, and Mayfield, but JT was a no-brainer and Nino was a consensus pick that actually worked out for the Snowman despite how it all ended. But let's not forget all the 1st and 2nd round strikeouts Garf had!

Anything from the 3rd round on, I attribute to luck; and that goes for any GM.

That's true.

I always, ALWAYS remember 2000 and how we could have turned this franchise around but instead just completely whiffed. Imagine we ended up with Heatley/Gaborik and Hartnell/Orpik. I know it's not fair but I would have really love to see Heatley in an Islanders jersey.

Ryan Strome hurts too, but I mean he was also the consensus pick.

Love our drafting since Lou took over.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
..and rightfully so. JT would have fetched us a whole lot of prospects or maybe a Cup.

But the Isles without JT bring a ton of grit, a good locker room chemistry and buy in from the team (except Ho Sang and Lou has done an great job not letting that distract this team.

The Isles Defense is superior to most teams which has a major positive effect on goaltending. They are in most of their games without a great scorer and had a very good season last year.

If your only gauge on success is Stanley Cups, there were only two teams that made it to the finals last year. Were there only two successful teams? Or just one? I will argue the Isles were a success last year.

Now in my opinion, Chemistry means a lot more than individual stats and finesse as you put it and just having an superior offense is not nearly enough. Look at how most of the superstar top scorers faired. Maybe a handful of the NHL top 30 point leaders (point per game players) made it passed the second round. Only Marchand #5, Aho #21 and Pastrnak #21 in scoring were in the semis. The Blues O’Reilly #32 won the cup

The Leafs despite having all the finesse and #4 in goals, produced a first round exit because of below par defense and goaltending last season. Maybe it’s the coach, or the spotlight those guys are in every minute of the day and the money, but that organization year in and year out struggle to win it all. Maybe even call it a Chemistry problem.

Now yes, the Isles need to produce more offense and yes we presumably need a legit top 3 winger for Barzal, but they are not easy to obtain and getting one will be costly.

Lou swung for Panarin and missed, not because of Lou, but because of the organizational problems, the arena issues, the fan base or lack thereof and generally the inability for the team to attract star UFAs. It was the attractiveness of NYC and a being superstar in the greatest city in the world or Panarin wife’s perception, instead of being a part of the small tight ship that is sailing along on Long Island.

You can argue giving away the farm to get one such player now would have been the solution, but Lou’s philosophy, as was Mr Torrey’s philosophy, is long term winning and sustainability and building, be it a slow rebuild while still winning now (how about that), is more important for 2021 and beyond. It’s the Islanders way, like it was in the 70s, and we are in the equivalent of the late 70’s right now, just missing one or two of the pieces that we may be developing internally right now.

Anyone who doubts the organizations direction is either in a cave having not witnessed what proceeded Lou, not a fan of this team, or just plain clueless in terms of what goes into building a winner.

One thing is for certain, Lou is not the clueless one. Lou is the savior we have been waiting 30+ years for.
Bravo. Right on the money.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Excellent observations. Lou understands team chemistry. Being a GM in the NHL is not like collecting the flashiest hockey cards like Kyle Dumbass who is the Corey Pronman of GM's. Thanks @PWJunior for that one. Building a team of soft players. Lou understands it takes a collection of players, some skilled, some grit, some size, defence and goaltending. The Isles dressing room is better without Judas. This is for sure. He is slow as molasses also, cite the goals he was beaten on in Washington. That contract is going to age badly for the Leafs. Mark my words. The guy just had his career year and he didn't even hit 90 pts and is already in decline. Isles inadvertently got lucky Pajamas went home.

Reactions: dood and MJF

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Excellent observations. Lou understands team chemistry. Being a GM in the NHL is not like collecting the flashiest hockey cards like Kyle Dumbass who is the Corey Pronman of GM's. Thanks @PWJunior for that one. Building a team of soft players. Lou understands it takes a collection of players, some skilled, some grit, some size, defence and goaltending. The Isles dressing room is better without Judas. This is for sure. He is slow as molasses also, cite the goals he was beaten on in Washington. That contract is going to age badly for the Leafs. Mark my words. The guy just had his career year and he didn't even hit 90 pts and is already in decline. Isles inadvertently got lucky Pajamas went home.

Lou, what a great GM, right?

*Looks at Zaitsev, Marleau, Komarov contracts*

Also, we got lucky? How lucky of us not to cash in on what may have been one of the largest trade hauls of all time. Soooo lucky.

Ah.....don't let that distract you from your crusade, though.

Anyways, I have no interest in these rumours of Carolina wanting Ho-Sang. In my opinion, we shouldn't be helping a division rival, even if it's only a rivalry on paper.

I could just see Ho-Sang flying around out there with Aho and Teuvo. He wouldn't need to play D since that team has such a deep D core and forwards with great defensive skills as well.

I really don't want to see that.....ship him our West to a team like Arizona or Dallas.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lou, what a great GM, right?

*Looks at Zaitsev, Marleau, Komarov contracts*

Also, we got lucky? How lucky of us not to cash in on what may have been one of the largest trade hauls of all time. Soooo lucky.

Ah.....don't let that distract you from your crusade, though.

Anyways, I have no interest in these rumours of Carolina wanting Ho-Sang. In my opinion, we shouldn't be helping a division rival, even if it's only a rivalry on paper.

I could just see Ho-Sang flying around out there with Aho and Teuvo. He wouldn't need to play D since that team has such a deep D core and forwards with great defensive skills as well.

I really don't want to see that.....ship him our West to a team like Arizona or Dallas.
I've been reading your posts on the Leafs board. Funny you didn't know Lou wasn't the GM of the Isles at the TDL, it was Garth Snow if you are going to cite the potential return Traitor would have gotten. Maybe Snow shouldn't have believed Traitor on returning to the Island. Most Isles fans know this. Not sure why you wouldn't know it had nothing to do with Lou? I am pretty sure if Lou was GM, he would have dealt that declining Benedict Arnold don't you think?

BTW under Lou's first year as GM for the Isles, they finished with 103 pts, and won a playoff rd. He got rid of years of mediocrity of Snow and Weight by replacing him with Trotz, Korn, and Lambert. He also has the backing of Ledecy and Malkin, I would say most Isles fans are happy that they are no longer stuck in the Snow dark years.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I've been reading your posts on the Leafs board. Funny you didn't know Lou wasn't the GM of the Isles at the TDL, it was Garth Snow if you are going to cite the potential return Traitor would have gotten. Maybe Snow shouldn't have believed Traitor on returning to the Island. Most Isles fans know this. Not sure why you wouldn't know it had nothing to do with Lou? I am pretty sure if Lou was GM, he would have dealt that declining Benedict Arnold don't you think?

BTW under Lou's first year as GM for the Isles, they finished with 103 pts, and won a playoff rd. He got rid of years of mediocrity of Snow and Weight by replacing him with Trotz, Korn, and Lambert. He also has the backing of Ledecy and Malkin, I would say most Isles fans are happy that they are no longer stuck in the Snow dark years.
The only ones unhappy with Lou so far are the people who aren’t happy unless they’re complaining about something.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The only ones unhappy with Lou so far are the people who aren’t happy unless they’re complaining about something.
Really we could go back to Garth Snow and Doug Weight. Be laughing stocks of the NHL. No arena deal, no credibility. Lou and Barry Trotz have the respect of NHL execs. They brought instant credibility to the Isles. Their resumes are HOF worthy as builders. Isles ownership sought out Lou. They want to win, it's all on the upside now to be an Isles fan. I am really happy for you guys. The Isles have such a rich history, it's for the betterment of the league to have them relevant again. :thumbu:

Reactions: MattMartin

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Really we could go back to Garth Snow and Doug Weight. Be laughing stocks of the NHL. No arena deal, no credibility. Lou and Barry Trotz have the respect of NHL execs. They brought instant credibility to the Isles. Their resumes are HOF worthy as builders. Isles ownership sought out Lou. They want to win, it's all on the upside now to be an Isles fan. I am really happy for you guys. The Isles have such a rich history, it's for the betterment of the league to have them relevant again. :thumbu:
How anybody can be uptight about the Islanders today and in the future is beyond my compeehension. Compared to where this franchise was, I’ll take Lou’s offense-challenged roster that got some results last year ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Where did I say that was Lou's fault?

You said we were lucky pajama boy left us, I am saying we would have been better either keeping him or getitng a haul.

What is your opinion on the Marleau and Zaitsev contracts?

Were you this supportive of Lou when he was Leaf's GM? Or were you already playing this game at that time?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And if we don’t win the Cup again this year I’m cool with that. I know better days are on the horizon. With Wang and Snow there was no hope except to squeak into the playoffs once and a while and pray we got hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->