News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Since we’re on the cusp of a new season I thought I’d start a new thread for around the league.

Evgeny Kuznetsov test during international play comes up dirty for cocaine. Shocking. It’s not like there was video of him in a room where coke was being snorted the day he was tested by the IIHF. :sarcasm:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27445596/iihf-suspends-kuznetsov-4-years-cocaine?platform=amp

Pretty progressive for the NHL not to suspend guys for doing cocaine or marijuana, though I think that's a bit strange. I wonder what Kuznetsov's defense will be.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bill Daly on the issue:

Unlike the IIHF, cocaine is not considered a performance enhancing drug and is therefore not a Prohibited Substance under the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program. Instead, it is considered a drug of abuse that is tested for and for which intervention, evaluation and mandatory treatment can occur in appropriate cases.

NHL.com Media Site

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Pretty progressive for the NHL not to suspend guys for doing cocaine or marijuana, though I think that's a bit strange. I wonder what Kuznetsov's defense will be.
Because it’s not performance enhancing they aren’t penalizing for using it. Only arranging treatment.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The fact that the NHL doesn't consider cocaine bad enough to ban it speaks volumes.

Because it’s not performance enhancing they aren’t penalizing for using it. Only arranging treatment.

I don't care if people do it or not personally, I just find it odd that it isn't considered an enhancement. Marijuana, or even something like heroin, isn't going to help you play any better in the short term, cocaine could.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I don't care if people do it or not personally, I just find it odd that it isn't considered an enhancement. Marijuana, or even something like heroin, isn't going to help you play any better in the short term, cocaine could.
Where’s the line though? Caffeine can improve performance too.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

If players were looking for the same qualities that coke could possibly provide to enhance their game, they'd likely just use amphetamines instead.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
“That coke wasn’t mine”
“I have never used drugs and I am not going to get involved in this... I just went to my friends in the room. When I saw what was happening there–unfamiliar women, strange substances on the table—he called a friend and left there as soon as possible."

tumblr_oigpfnLboG1spkic4o2_500.gif

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I imagine a gust of wind came through the room and blew some of the cocaine into his nose. It was purely accidental. Gotta give the guy the benefit of the doubt right? Away fans are going to have a field day with this at games. Are we going to get old school Crackhead chants like we did with Theo Fleury?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I imagine a gust of wind came through the room and blew some of the cocaine into his nose. It was purely accidental. Gotta give the guy the benefit of the doubt right? Away fans are going to have a field day with this at games. Are we going to get old school Crackhead chants like we did with Theo Fleury?

Do we need to? It's not like Kuznetsov was acting like a crackhead on the ice. Besides, there's a pretty big difference between going skiing and smoking the magic rock.

Reactions: Poster Unknown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad