News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So ridiculous how the refs protect Malkin. Guy is a dirty player and always yapping now when he’s finally getting tagged up the zebras step in between to save him.

Reactions: goal1228

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I know it was a chance of a lifetime for Ayres so he gave his all but was just wondering. He is the Toronto zamboni driver who has practiced with them, so would he be conflicted at all? they didnt ask him after the game. If I were the Isles zamboni driver, and had to play against them in the same situation when the Isles are fighting for their playoff lives.. I would have to at least give it a thought ... but like I said chance of a lifetime and you want to make the best of it. Great story and good for him.
I know what you mean, but I've been in that situation (not in the NHL), and whatever your thoughts may be ahead of time, once the game starts, it's you against the guy with the puck, and you will do your damnedest to not let him score.

Reactions: 19 in a row

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So someone answer this. Is there always an emergency goaltender sitting in the stands at every NHL game who could be picked up for $500 by either team? Been watching hockey for over 40 years and never heard of this.
So Ayers is now done as an EBUG right? There’s no way the leafs can see that guy in practice or around the facility at all, I think. It’d be humiliating.
He was actually on the ice earlier today for an optional Leafs practice. Apparently only the injured Mikheyev and Nylander were there.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure they need to supply two emergency goaltenders in case both teams lose both goalies. I believe the Athletic had a piece about it not too long ago but I could be mistaken. Usually it's local beer league guys (higher levels) and work or play a ton in the area so they're well known. They usually have experience playing at some competitive level but it's not like they're AHLers or even ECHL caliber I don't think.
Only one emergency in-game. If four goalie got hurt in one game, they'd have to reschedule.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Those days are behind me. I play forward now and won't ever go back in the net...unless Lou is willing to give the 3 goalie system a try himself. What a walk (skate?) off song that would be though!

I thought the same thing, but it's probably instinct. The biggest thing with coming out like that is that the goalie better be damn sure he's going to beat the player. If he's going to get clobbered he needs to protect himself by sliding or something so it doesn't catch him up high.
Welcome to the club, PK. I hung up the pads at 49, after I tore my ACL. I'm 67 now, and just play defence.

Reactions: PK Cronin

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Could've sworn I read there were two someplace. Terrible luck if you lose four goalies in a game. :laugh:
There are usually a number of goalies around that the home team knows are available - for example if a goalie is injured pregame - but only one on hand during a game, in case of two injuries during the game.

Reactions: PK Cronin

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
IMG_20200223_230242.jpg

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
JD says Shesterkin and Buchnevich were in a car accident. Buch has no significant injuries. Igor has a rib fracture. He’ll be reassessed in a couple weeks.

hate to see stuff like this, actually wanted to see how the Isles did against Shesterkin on tuesday

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
JD says Shesterkin and Buchnevich were in a car accident. Buch has no significant injuries. Igor has a rib fracture. He’ll be reassessed in a couple weeks.

hate to see stuff like this, actually wanted to see how the Isles did against Shesterkin on tuesday

Pretty crazy.

Not to make light of this, but I can't help and think of those wacky Russian videos on YT.

Reactions: Finnislander

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

For any interested:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad