News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
At this point even though the Rags is a big rival of the team, I actually have some admiration of how hard they had played recently, trying to get in. The team has character players, not like the TML.

Yes talent is important, but without character and great leadership, it accomplishes nothing. If you compare how hard Canucks competed tonight & how little efforts TML played, you will understand what I meant. One team will never let up & the other one only show up for 5 minutes. I do think it comes down to leadership & how the team respond to the leadership.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
They are 0-3-5 in their last 8 and you seriously just said they are weathering the storm better? How do you figure?
Without knowing the record detail it was a feeling like they were managing to get points every time I looked and with the 5 OT losses they kind of are. That, and who they have lost relative to who we have lost at least to some degree bolsters my case. Still, your point is well taken. Mea culpa.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
So someone answer this. Is there always an emergency goaltender sitting in the stands at every NHL game who could be picked up for $500 by either team? Been watching hockey for over 40 years and never heard of this.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
So someone answer this. Is there always an emergency goaltender sitting in the stands at every NHL game who could be picked up for $500 by either team? Been watching hockey for over 40 years and never heard of this.
Home teams are required to supply a list of emergency goalies in the area, some teams have someone on their staff that is capable of suiting up on short notice which has happened in the past. Ayres was the most readily available goalie last night and under the rules there is time given for the goalie to suit up. Other previous incidences involved local guys who a few hours before the game got the call since a call up from the minors wouldn't be able to get there in time.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
There is always an EBUG available for every game. They sign a contract if they are needed as per Exhibit 17-A in the CBA:

NHL GOALTENDER PROFESSIONAL TRY-OUT AGREEMENT
  • In consideration of the opportunity to play in the NHL, receipt of $500, and the Player being permitted to retain his game-worn jersey, the Player agrees to present himself, upon request of the Club to perform services as a player on [DATE] at [LOCATION].
  • This agreement shall be valid for a term of one (1) day, and a Club shall only be permitted to enter into such an agreement in accordance with Section 16.14 of the CBA. No additional payment, bonus (of any kind) or any other form of compensation is permitted, other than as provided for herein.
  • Player certifies that he does not have any current contractual obligation elsewhere. Player further certifies that he has not terminated an existing contractual obligation to meet the foregoing requirement.
  • Club certifies that it is signing player to this Professional Try-Out Agreement in order to address a last minute injury, illness or League suspension that results in the Club not being able to dress two goaltenders for an NHL Game, and that effectuating a Recall is otherwise impossible (e.g., a Recalled Player could not possibly have arrived in time to participate in the Game due to travel).

I love the part about keeping the jersey...

Reactions: brachyrynchos

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
seems like a really good guy. To add insult to injury it sounds like the leafs really invested in this guy as a practice goalie and prepared
Him
See, Dubas can do something right after all!!

If the Leafs miss the playoffs by a point or two and Dubas gets fired, how ironic would it be that the downfall of the stick boy was a zamboni driver?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
So Ayers is now done as an EBUG right? There’s no way the leafs can see that guy in practice or around the facility at all, I think. It’d be humiliating.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure they need to supply two emergency goaltenders in case both teams lose both goalies. I believe the Athletic had a piece about it not too long ago but I could be mistaken. Usually it's local beer league guys (higher levels) and work or play a ton in the area so they're well known. They usually have experience playing at some competitive level but it's not like they're AHLers or even ECHL caliber I don't think.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Not interested if it should be a penalty or not; but looking back at the Mrazek decision process there. I know players are instinctual, but to skate half the length of the zone to try to beat out an oncoming skater to a loose puck? I don't know if that was good situational awareness there.

Also, does it become a rule of thumb for the last healthy goalie to not take that kind of risk?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'm pretty sure they need to supply two emergency goaltenders in case both teams lose both goalies. I believe the Athletic had a piece about it not too long ago but I could be mistaken. Usually it's local beer league guys (higher levels) and work or play a ton in the area so they're well known. They usually have experience playing at some competitive level but it's not like they're AHLers or even ECHL caliber I don't think.

Hey, aren't you a goalie! I can see it now...

You skating off to the "Titanic Recorder" after leading the Isles to the long prophosized 9-1 win!

Reactions: TMI and PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hey, aren't you a goalie! I can see it now...

You skating off to the "Titanic Recorder" after leading the Isles to the long prophosized 9-1 win!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Those days are behind me. I play forward now and won't ever go back in the net...unless Lou is willing to give the 3 goalie system a try himself. What a walk (skate?) off song that would be though!

Not interested if it should be a penalty or not; but looking back at the Mrazek decision process there. I know players are instinctual, but to skate half the length of the zone to try to beat out an oncoming skater to a loose puck? I don't know if that was good situational awareness there.

Also, does it become a rule of thumb for the last healthy goalie to not take that kind of risk?

I thought the same thing, but it's probably instinct. The biggest thing with coming out like that is that the goalie better be damn sure he's going to beat the player. If he's going to get clobbered he needs to protect himself by sliding or something so it doesn't catch him up high.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't know if anybody pointed this out. David Ayres beat the Maple Leafs wearing Toronto Marlies pads and his mask had the Toronto Marlies logo on the side. Delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad